What's your degree field?

Cap'n Refsmmat

What field do you have a degree in?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What field do you have a degree in?

• Physics
    • Mathematics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry or chemical engineering
    • Psychology or sociology
    • Medicine
    • Engineering (mechanical or electrical)
    • History
    • English (or some other language)
    • Other
    • Computer science
    • Information science

Out of curiosity, what does you avatar mean? I've always wanted to ask you about this:-)

It's when I was a brown belt preparing for my black belt test, which was the next day. By the time that picture was taken, we'd done about 600 push-ups and 1,000 sit-ups during the hour. I'm one of the people down in the push-up position. :)

It's when I was a brown belt preparing for my black belt test, which was the next day. By the time that picture was taken, we'd done about 600 push-ups and 1,000 sit-ups during the hour. I'm one of the people down in the push-up position. :)

Oh, that's nice, but I'm dead sure it's way too much hard work.

What, only one choice per customer? All my degrees are in physics, but that might not be true for others.

I picked physics and mathematics; I currently hold 2 physics degrees and will finish PhD in mathematics soon.

I have a D.E.C in Social Sciences (mostly Anthropology). But I discovered that I really hate social "sciences", so I got a B.Sc in Mathematics/Biology (I finish this year). Then I'll get a Ph.D in [evolutionary] biology...

I have a D.E.C in Social Sciences (mostly Anthropology). But I discovered that I really hate social "sciences", so I got a B.Sc in Mathematics/Biology (I finish this year). Then I'll get a Ph.D in [evolutionary] biology...

That a joint degree in mathematics and biology?

If so that would put you in a good position to mathematical biology stuff such as evolutionary biology as you stated.

The biologists I personally know are very ignorant of mathematics.

I have a degree in Computer Studies (*not* computer science.. covered software engineering rather than programming, SAD, CT and an emphasis on business/maths/psychology) and am currently working toward a degree in psychology.

Psychology (very heavy emphasis in research), and Education.

What areas of research did you study and have been involved in lately?

Perception, Cognition, Psychopharmacology, and Human Sexuality (no, seriously!). My first job was doing research on a quit smoking program with the American Cancer Society, and my next job was doing research for phase 1-4 pharmaceutical studies. Now, I'm in training. :)

You need a checkbox for information science. It's been a recognized academic/research pursuit for a couple decades now, quite distinct from computer science. The ACM even has a well-respected Journal for it (Crossroads). Human-computer interaction and usability engineering, information ethics, information architecture, security, intellectual property, knowledge management, all of that stuff falls under IS now, not CS anymore. :)

(In case it's not obvious, this is the field of my Masters and my current PhD work.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science