Poll: How do you plan to spend your rebate check?

Realitycheck

How do you plan to spend your stimulus package rebate?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you plan to spend your stimulus package rebate?

• I plan to adhere to the will of the spirit of this decree and go buy a long-term asset such as a TV.
    • I plan to adhere to the will of the spirit of this decree and go buy consumer merchandise.
    • I plan to adhere to the will of the spirit of this decree and use this on a down payment.
    • I plan to adhere to the will of the spirit of this decree and throw a big party.
    • I plan to adhere to the will of the spirit of this decree and invest it in the stock market.
    • I plan to invest it in some other way, like bonds or a savings account.
    • I'm just going to dump it into my checking account and who knows what will be done with it.
    • I plan to pay off debts.
    • Other

A few days ago, I saw this financial advisor on television advising people to pay off debts with their rebate check, saying that this was the best way, the optimal way of distributing people's rebates in the most advantageous manner for the average Joe Blue taxpayer. Surely, she was just saying that to vent her veiled frustration with the current administration as everybody else does, saying it completely out of spite. Who cares what the original intent was, what the package is actually named, labelled, defined as. Of course, even if everybody went out and bought a television on the same day, it might add up to one day of Christmas, so it really is a moot point and somewhat comical, but this is a gesture. It's a hint. “C'mon, play along. It's Christmas Time. No, really. Really! (whispering 'I don't really care who gets elected anymore.'”

So anyways, after seeing this, I was just wondering. How do YOU plan to spend your stimulus package rebate?

What rebate cheque?
In the US, the president has authorized the payment of $600 to each taxpayer making under $75,000/yr. There was talk of an additional $300 for each dependent child but I'm not sure that's happening. They're calling it a rebate but they've done this before - once under Bush I and again in Bush II's first term - it's not a rebate. They are loaning you this money from your next year's tax refund (whether you would get one or not). You can spend it now and hope you can make it up to pay for next year, or you can invest it and earn interest before you have to give it back next year. The administration is hoping you won't use it to pay off loans.

A bothersome note: they sent us a notice through the postal service telling us GWB will be sending us another notice through the postal service two weeks prior to mailing out the checks GWB is giving us. These are going out to tens of millions of taxpayers.