CERN's Black Hole that can eat the earth

CaptainPanic

http://askanexpert.web.cern.ch/AskAnExpert/en/Accelerators/LHCenvironment-en.html#3, not exactly the page I was looking for; there is a more explicit answer on the CERN homepage iirc. But probably more authorative than WP.

There is no widespread doubts, at least not if "widespread" means "a lot of people". I've actually only heard those doubts twice:

First time on the CERN homepage where I read a comment similarly to the one I linked above. It was directly after the question if CERN really has an X33 plane, I think. So I took it as kind of a joke.

Second time I heard about it was on the german Wikipedia where someone wanted to add these concerns to the LHC article. The cited source was an interview with a researcher on non-linear dynamics (i.e. neither a particle physicist nor an astrophysicist or anything you'd expect for someone familiar with the topic) on an internet page for computer programmers. So in some respect that would indeed fit the term "widespread"

The one thing that caught my eye from this post was the "non-linear dynamicist." In layman's terms, isn't that a Chaos Theorist? It almost seems a bit ironic. The man is provoking panic.