Effect of Violent Videogames

I still don't understand why a general attitude should matter. Who really cares whether or not people like it. It doesn't really make sense...

Halo CE- about 38.

Like I explained, a game that scored full points in sex and violence and has tons of it everywhere you look could still be rated T without the General Attitude. But I'd still look at that game and see M. General Attitude allows a place for raters to decide whether a game may deserve a higher rating because it places emphasis on a few areas instead of spreading the points out. It's just a little thing to balance power. But it's still fair - remember, it's not a vote but a group choice, so no one can sabotage this area alone.

And 38 points of Halo: CE? Did you take into account General Attitude? Because it can't be

E10, at least T

Yes, but it's too general.

General Attitude, about what?

Overall? Overall rating? Overall fun? Overall ....?

It's meant to be general. This is basically a place where you can boost a game's rating if you feel that the system doesn't work right. If the game is like FEAR in which there is a ton of violence but nearly nothing else, are you syaing that the game should be rated E just because it scored no points in anything else?

Reasons for getting high points in this is if the score is over 20 or if the game deserves and M when the points indicate a T. Kind of like an overall.

Raters should, for instance, ask "Would I let a 10 year old play this?"

But remember, it has limited influence.

Using my previous rating criteria, scores should be out of 88 points.

Violence/Blood- I suppose no explanation is needed. 25pts

Drug Reference — Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs. 10pts

Language — Profanity. 8pts

Gambling — Player can gamble. 8pts

Sexual Themes — Sexual references and/or depictions. 20pts

General Attitude Toward the Game (Must be decided as a single score for the rating group, not a vote/average) - 17 pts

This is my rating scale. A rating means the maximum number of points or under. For instance, Rated E would be between 37 and 25

3 points: Very young children

25 points: E

38points: E10+

44points: T

57 points: M

70+points: Adult Only

So a game that had extremely explicit sex (a sex game) but no violence, profanity, drugs, or gambling, would still score E10+ even with the sexual themes and general attitude at max? Yet it should score adult.

So a game that had extremely explicit sex (a sex game) but no violence, profanity, drugs, or gambling, would still score E10+ even with the sexual themes and general attitude at max? Yet it should score adult.

My last post asks for suggestions. It'd be best if complaints could come with suggestions too.

Perhaps for only the most intense experiences in each field, there should be an over-rate feature. Sex games shoud have an over-rate scale of 54 extra points. Coupled with a rater's 17 General Attitude, AO is achieved.

Games like FEAR should have an over-rate for violence.

Now, the only problem is, can anyone think of the conditions under which an over-rate is granted?

Edited by Donut.Hole

That should be fairly obvious, it can all be seen visually.

There should, however be a game as a reference point. Perhaps Half-Life 2?

All over-rating will be based upon the violence in that game.

So games like F.E.A.R. will have an over-rate because there is much more violence, blood, and gore than in Half-Life 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked out the demo for F.E.A.R.: Project Origin, and that definitely deserves an M.

I don't have the time to do the whole scoring system, but with all the blood, horror and violence...it's just...awesomely bad.

• 3 months later...