Effect of Violent Videogames

To continue on your analogy of the cup and the bucket, the question is whether or not the bucket has a hole in it? That is, if you stop adding water to the bucket, will it drain out until there is nothing noticeable left? Do video games permanently change your attitude towards violence (e.g. do they effect your aggression long enough for you to do anything you would later regret, such as, say, kill a man), or does it only make you more aggressive for a short time, so that by the time you have a chance to actually commit a violent crime, you're already "over the problem"?

I'd assume if you are submerged in a culture like the Spartans you will continue through to the killing stage quite comfortably. If you are in a truely peace loving culture, I'd think the aggressive impact of simulated violent games would be generally quite low.

Actually, this is still done. The U.S. Army released America's Army in 2002, which is used as a recruitment tool, so it encourages children to join the army, as well as for propaganda.

I've heard this, and thought of the Spartans immediately. The US military has learned much from the Spartans it seems. The more things change the more they stay the same.

And the people in war loving cultures don't need video games to be violent--they have enough militaristic and violent attitudes in other aspects of their culture.

True, violent video games are just one tool of many. 'America's Army' is a handy tool, I would imagine.

Even the game of chess, I believe, was developed to train young squires to think in a strategic, military fashion so they would be more successful in battle as a knight.

Yep, it's not uncommon knowledge that many WW2 strategists were master chess players.

You got issues man, serious issues!

I used to be like that, but it never really worked. I always ended up getting extra detention at school or cut the grass in the yard for a week. That relaxes you a lot!

Different people are relaxed by different things. I know that I am "relaxed" by anything which I consider entertaining. I enjoy violent video games (as long as the purpose for the violence isn't for the sole purpose of being violent--that is, as long as it serves to advance the game's plot), but in real life I am a pacafist--I'm totally opposed to any form of violence.

You got issues man, serious issues!

I used to be like that, but it never really worked. I always ended up getting extra detention at school or cut the grass in the yard for a week. That relaxes you a lot!

its just like a form of stress ball. i could argue stress balls are more violent as you are actually mutilating something rather than just pushing buttons.

anyway all that aside, the point of either method, is to release the fury onto something that will not get hurt/retaliate or even care. its entire purpose is so you can do that.

A US Secret Service study found that only 12 percent of those involved in school shootings were attracted to violent video games, while 24 percent read violent books and 27 percent were attracted to violent films.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/preventingattacksreport.pdf

I think that if you consider how many students play violent video games nowadays, it's obvious that they don't cause violence.

Just wondering, violent media is so common nowadays, it's really not surprising that school shooters have experienced it. I know I have, and probably you have. I don't mean to argue or dbunk, but how much do those stats mean?

Donut,

I don't think we'll ever really have accurate statistics on this type of thing, I mean, how do they know exactly whether or not the shooters played violent video games, after all, they can't really interview cadavers (sorry for the morbid-ness), and not only that, it's not even media that could be affecting them, it could be 'second-hand violent media', that they hear from their friends.

btw Donut, congratulations on the Meson ranking

but you know, i have always found video games to ground me a little. like with the flood, you know its not real, and its a great way to distract yourself from how annoying other people are. i'm one of the least violent people i know.

but you know, i have always found video games to ground me a little. like with the flood, you know its not real, and its a great way to distract yourself from how annoying other people are. i'm one of the least violent people i know.

Yeah, I find that they're good when you need a break at the end of the day when all's said and done. Relieves stress sometimes.

And sometimes, no A LOT of times, video games can increase stress if you're playing online against pros.

Maybe any correlation between violence and video games is not on how violent it is, but rather on how difficult it is (and how good at the game the player is). Obviously a game is much more stressful when you're not doing well, and the people most affected by this stress are the people who are probably most attracted to violent media (for the same reason that stressed people are attracted to "stress balls" and punching bags--it helps to relieve some of the violent feelings you have to actually do it).

Yeah, I find that they're good when you need a break at the end of the day when all's said and done. Relieves stress sometimes.

And sometimes, no A LOT of times, video games can increase stress if you're playing online against pros.

i've never found it stressful to be killed by pros it only increases my determination to be the best.

When i die i only become more powerful then before, MWAHAHAHAHA! :}

I think the person who plays them will determine the effect it has on them. If you're easily influenced then, yea, I think you will become a violent, or an angry, person. I really just think it's the type of person who views them.

If I have translated you correctly, I tend to agree with you. Those with a good grip on reality can distinguish between fantasy games and the real world, but there are those who just don't grasp the difference and tend to see what they experience in the games as normal responses in real life too. Those people tend to become desensitised to violence.

The same happens about sexual mores, as was predicted by Hans Eysenck in his book, "Sex, Violence, and the Media." Mind you that was so long ago he was talking about TV and films - he'd have been really worried if computer games had been around then.

I tend to think of violent video games as the modern version of "Cowboys and Indians", or "Cops and Robbers", where children actually pretend to shoot each other. Who's to say that shooting your best friend with a pretend gun would not callus you to the idea of shooting your best friend (or anyone else, for that matter) with a real gun? Of course, there are obvious differences (such as "Cops and Robbers" doesn't actually make "cops" or "robbers" drown in their own blood--assuming you're playing it right), but the idea of shooting someone remains.