OK, this is frickin' hilarious

swansont

I thought that ID was an attempt to reconcile the two, providing evolutionists an avenue to let kids keep believing in God, saying "God made it happen."
Absolutely not. ID says that certain things in this universe can't be explained by current science and provide evidence of an intelligent designer. ID uses all the old crap creationism arguments to create a "controversy" that science can't explain, then argues that public school kids should be taught both viewpoints and make the choice themselves which side of the "controversy" they're on. ID proponents want it taught right alongside science in the schools.

I think the only way it would be appropriate for an evolutionist to tell a child there is a tiny probability that God made everything the way it is, is if that child's pastor would then tell the child that God is not capable of countermanding His own physics. That seems a fair trade. ;)

Thank you, Phi, for the clarification. ID is not science, yet I can see a difference between a) the one way thinker and b) the person who is genuinely curious and willing to learn. To that point, Pangloss is spot on in that we will sometimes miss the opportunity to help those in group 'b' to realize the faults in their thinking, but if they truly are willing to learn then I'm sure it won't take them long to arrive at that understanding on their own.

Hey, it only took me about 15 years to switch sides. Though to be fair, I was a kid part of that time. I'm an odd one. I grew up without a TV so I did a lot of reading, and when I ran out of books I started reading the encyclopedia, which is when I first started on this. My mom told me to read the bible for myself rather than accept the beliefs of any particular branch of Christianity, so it wasn't like I accepted spoon-feeding. In my teen years, I was reading from the AnswersInGenesis website, which which seemed like the most scientific from the bible side. Also I'm one of the people who love science. And I just finished/am taking 3 college biology courses. Despite all this, it was difficult to change such an important idea as to whether god exists or not.

What finally convinced me is genetics, which I understand exactly how it can be analysed, without bias. Also that is at the core of evolution, much moreso than changes in anatomic structure, and where you might expect god to have put (copyright Yahweh, 5000 BC) or any other evidence of purposeful design. Instead, its a mishmash of random-looking changes. If life was designed, the only way it could have been done is with an evolutionary algorithm, but that would be an empty hypothesis.

Did I mention it is hard to change such a fundamental idea as to whether god exists or not? But it can be done :)

Did I mention it is hard to change such a fundamental idea as to whether god exists or not? But it can be done :)

I appreciate you sharing your personal story, Mr. Skeptic. It's nice to know that my suggestion was more than just words, and that people do often find the correct answers in their own way. :)

Did I mention it is hard to change such a fundamental idea as to whether god exists or not?
I don't even take it that far. There's evidence that a perfect god doesn't exist, but I don't have to rule out all higher beings. Just the omnipotent ones, to be sure. ;)

Machines were built by scientists much smarter than you to expel so-called scientists who hold quaint but ludicrous notions about the origins of life.

Richard Dawkins busts a flow pimpin Flavor Flav's trademark clock bling with that hot bitch Daniel Dennett showing some skin.

I'd ask what drugs the people behind this were on, but I think the answer is Christianity...

You guys heard this story that was going around last week, right? I can't remember if it was reported here or not. Forgive me if it came up before.

Story on Biblically-correct museum tours.

I loved "I used to think, 'What are they thinking? Are they going to come out and correct me?'" He knows he's full of crap.

I wonder if I was a museum curator how I would respond to something like that. "All the information here is wrong and was designed by atheist Nazi baby-killing idiots. We all know better *wink*wink*."

I didn't get that from the video. PZ Myers, whose visage also appears, didn't react like he felt it was ridicule. He linked to it in his blog, filed under "humor"

I'm sure PZ Myers would also file Way of the Master under humor. And if you haven't caught my drift, I'm insinuating he filed it under humor for, shall we say, MST3K value, i.e. it's a thing of ridicule to such an extent that it becomes hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Either the database has dropped a reply from this thread or someone deleted the post I made shortly after this thread began. I'm not worried about the post itself but someone else might be if the db is dropping stuff...

Cat's out of the bag. Someone brought out the comfy chair and soft cushions and got a confession
I'll bet they didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Either the database has dropped a reply from this thread or someone deleted the post I made shortly after this thread began. I'm not worried about the post itself but someone else might be if the db is dropping stuff...
Nothing has been deleted. Do you remember seeing it actually posted, or did you type it up and then hit "Submit" without checking, the way I always seem to do?

Nothing has been deleted. Do you remember seeing it actually posted, or did you type it up and then hit "Submit" without checking, the way I always seem to do?

I know it was posted, it was in my subscribed threads. That's why I noticed something was up. I saw the thread pop up with a new reply in Today's Posts and not in my subscribed threads. I thought I might have dropped that subscription but found the post wasn't here anymore. Weird.