Wanted: a 50mm lens

YT2095

for a photography enlarger (Jessop 3500) screw fitting.

it has to be between 2.5 and 8.5x magnification.

but if you just have the lens itself that`ll be fine too, I can probably machine something to fit.

from what I can tell it has to be a `D` shape convex type, but if you have a multiple lens array that will do the same that`s good too ;)

I can`t pay a Huge amount (it`s a simple lens!), I`m after something nobody wants/needs anymore, postage will be covered and a cost if needed.

cheers :cool:

• 1 month later...

A little late, perhaps, but never noticed the thread before.

I gave away a beautiful Schneider that would have been perfect for you. That was a couple of years ago. I gave away three actually...I had an 80 and a 120 too. All on Besseler lens boards that could have been cut to fit most purposes (lots of room).

I'd suggest talking to some photography clubs etc. though, maybe a small commercial studio or lab too. Those lenses were fantastic, and common. As darkrooms disappeared, they lost their value.

That's the case with a lot of photographic equipment. I know a man who has converted two 8x10 large format cameras into end tables. They were worth a small fortune new, and now you can't give them away.

Hi YT.

Go to the wreck yard and canibalize the headlight of a BMW. Cannot remember since what year they have a central lens like the one you are after. I have a couple but mailing may not be fast/convenient as you can get them there. Let me know if yes.

They are plano-convex "D" as you want ; 60mm + 7mm for holding rim = 67mm ⌀ total, real good glass; 22.1mm thick; whatever diopters that yields.

Miguel

Edited-added : other lens sources are the old large copy machines, projection televisions, slide projectors at recycling places.

Thnx each, but I`v got it sorted now.

I found the Proper lens for it along with the iris to fit the enlarger, on eBay (good price too).

this enlarger only does 35mm sadly, but I think it can be modified to use 120 film using a dremmel and a bit of patience, 120`s my favorite format and makes great contact prints as it is, esp the 6x9 landscape, but it would be nice to get larger pics.

I`v modified an old Kodak Brownie (127 film) to take 35mm Landscape shots too, that`s probably my best bet to experiment with 1`st.

Edited by YT2095

If you like medium format, you should really consider large format. 4x5 view cameras are relatively inexpensive now, and their tilts and swings allow for correction of converging lines etc. Contact sheets are, of course, 4x5. Film can be a little tough to find, but it's still out there in limited amounts.

They are a pain to use, since each sheet of film has to loaded separately, but that also gives you the opportunity to manipulate the development of each image separately.

Also, if you are really into landscape photography, I'd suggest picking up Ansel Adams' "The Camera", "The Negative," and "The Print."

Actually I have sheet film here, it`s 4x5 Ilford Ortho Plus.

availablity isn`t a an issue, although it`s quite expensive, I`m not really "Into" landscapes or any particular style of photography per se.

I just love experimenting with the concept, the Chemistry, the different things that will create an image (see my Homemade X-Ray thread), different Lenses, home made cameras etc...

I aspire more to Fox Talbot than Patrick Lichfield :)

Careful with that...Talbot turned out to be a bit of a whiner as time went on. ;)

I moved on to digital several years ago, but even then the variety of silver-based films, especially black and white, was becoming quite limited compared to what it had been. Same with papers.

There used to be an abundance of choices in an abundance of retailers. Much of that has gone away.

I miss darkroom work sometimes too. It used to be that I could disappear into the darkroom with some beer and cigarettes, and be left alone. Now I use a computer for a darkroom and people seem to think it's some kind of spectator sport.

• 1 month later...