What the heck is that thing next to the Moon???

So I'm taking the trash out to the curb at approximately 0225 PDT (Las Vegas) and I look up at the moon and I see the weirdest flickering object at about the 11 o'clock position (if the moon were a dial on a clock). It's flickering like white and what looks like red and all things considering, looks like it's a pretty goos size object.

What the heck is that thing??? :eek:

-Shawn

Well Sattelites, normally move because their in orbit, don't they? This thing was stationary for an hour (or more, maybe... I went to bed) and as far as the lasers are concerned, this was quite a distance in the position in the sky from the moon (about 3 moons away at the 11 o'clock position.)

-Shawn

Well Sattelites, normally move because their in orbit, don't they? This thing was stationary for an hour (or more, maybe... I went to bed) and as far as the lasers are concerned, this was quite a distance in the position in the sky from the moon (about 3 moons away at the 11 o'clock position.)

-Shawn

stationary with respect to the moon or the Earth? The moon would have moved noticeably after an hour.. did this object move with it? If so, not a geostationary satellite. I would guess that it was a star or planet.

HERE is a picture of the sky in the direction of the moon from Las Vegas at 2:25am on the 27th...

and HERE is one from the 26th (I'm not sure what day you are talking about)

I don't see anything that sticks out at the position you are talking about... so maybe it WAS aliens.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion(and you know what they say about those) is it was a star you just happened to see good on a clear night, I look at the stars a lot with my (naked) eyes and see the color changes (what they call blinking) and they appear to be white, green, yellow, red flashing colors. hope that helps.

i know im a bit late but perhaps it may have been the gamma ray burst afterglow talked about here http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm and in more detail here http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008/mar/HQ_08086_Swift_Detects_GRB.html

im not sure how long the afterglow would remain visible but i believe they can last for days or longer... who knows

eh scratch that, i dont think it would be visible for that long