Air Trecks

Jon13

hey i'm not really good at mechanical stuff, but i think that if u use something like a suspencion or something that acelerates the at it will kind of work and if u thiunk of normal ways of energy i don't think is good enougth soo how about wind power like wind turbines, like the giant ones? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Windenergy.jpg

and put a similar motor on the front wheel u can give energy to the backk wheel and the front wheel is going to keep going around witch actually produces the energy here, how about it?

but wouldn't you need to generate more power then your putting out? although it could prolong the energy from being depleted as quickly, but battery life seems to be getting bigger and bigger all the time, so maybe it'll be more practical, but until then keep trying. my friend and I will be tinkering around trying to get things to work, will take a long time.

hey i'm not really good at mechanical stuff, but i think that if u use something like a suspencion or something that acelerates the at it will kind of work and if u thiunk of normal ways of energy i don't think is good enougth soo how about wind power like wind turbines, like the giant ones? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Windenergy.jpg

and put a similar motor on the front wheel u can give energy to the backk wheel and the front wheel is going to keep going around witch actually produces the energy here, how about it?

Are you suggesting to make a perpetual motion device out of your rollerskates? You want to generate all the energy for movement in the skate?

Please note that it's impossible to do that... impossible.

This whole thread isn't making much sense.

I haven't read a lot of good ideas... and frankly, I think all people posting here are just kids (<15 yrs) with little engineering background.

All people who post here suffer from a number of issues:

-A huge underestimation of the power required.

-A huge underestimation of the size of both the energy storage (fuel/battery) and engine

-A huge underestimation of the complexity of the control system

Therefore my message to everybody here is: please stop dreaming of things that you see in cartoons. Find some device that actually works and delivers enough power, and go from there.

Edited by CaptainPanic
complaining about the (poor) quality of the posts here

The picture in that link is an ordinary skate. Not a motorized one.

I guess that the tips on that link measure up to the assistance that was given in this and the other thread... with the difference that we're critical about difficult/impossible ideas while this guy makes it all sound easy. (Recharging the battery by coasting? I'm not so sure that should be point #1 priority).

What is interesting is that it's true that some motorized skates exist... and they have exactly the looks that I predicted:

They're Big. They don't like the cartoon skates at all.

They apparently have combustion engines... which is probably a good idea if you want to actually go anywhere.

I guess electric engines will work as well... And I'd like to place a few critical notes at the battery... especially on the link that was posted earlier:

Here's a picture of a 12 V, 40 Ah battery. Note that it's quite huge (14.5 kg!).

To go at a nice speed, and do some acceleration and braking, you really would like to have 750 W of power (1 horsepower).

A 12 V, 40 Ah battery can supply 750 W during 38 minutes... which is really quite reasonable.

But you must realize that you're skating around with huge skates and 15 kg of battery strapped to your back.

I never said it's not possible. I just don't think it will look and behave like in the cartoon... and I want you guys to be realistic before you build anything that doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

currently im actually building a pair, ive made a prototype, but the "air cushion" was too small and the force of landing broke the motor in the wheel:-( so now im using springs, wonder if i could get one of those darwin awards ehh:p hahaha, the engine im using is battery powered, reacharged by the rolling of the wheels, sort of like a car engine. Anyways, if anyone would like to come to london to meet me, i can show you them, and then i might start making them for sale:)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

P.s i joke with the selling thing, but i will buy parts off anyone who can get there hands on the parts i need, ive only got £80 at the moment, but i should be able to get abit more within this month, thank god for jobs.

P.p.s Im 15, and i can do enginering, mainly because my fathers work is to design military aircrafts and he taught me how to do it. :P

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

ahh lookin at alot of this stuff really does make you think its impossible, you should re-read some of the stuff you say, you guys're so downbeat, lighten up a lil will ya?

oh and in reply to everyone whos asked what voltage you need, the anime says 4 kilowats, i prefer to use 14 V, and the engines pretty tiny, but the basic consepts are the same, lean forwards and you speed up, theres an acellerater under the wheel arches, which when pushed on by anything, speeds the wheel up, theres also a brake at the back, so you lean backwards to slow down, the only real problem is that it cost me nearly £600 to make one, n it took me 6 months of workin everyday to get that kinda money, but well, it was worth it, for a minutes when i pulled off that first trick on my AT's i thought i gonna end up flying, its amazin, for everyone out there that has a job, save your money and make yourself a pair of AT's, you feel like a bird when your on em, you feel light as a feather, and when you do a sweet trick and your 10 or 20 meters of the ground, its the best, to put it simply:)

Edited by Moseshatch
Consecutive posts merged.

Ok, so I am watching the Air Gear anime right now and have read this post, and the last one about actually geting 10-20 feet in the air with self made Treck's soulds like a dream come true, (you arn't lying are you? I hope not) well any ways I don't live in the UK, im in the US so it would be one long trip to check out a prototype Air Treck but I am entices to do just that. How did you apply they motor, is it inside the front weal? and the brakes are the brake pads like in cars? what about going in revers, can you? and with the motor? what model of rolorblades are you using, 2, 3, 4 wheals? Enough questions, i know that you can get the motor to go in revers just have you gotten it to do so yet. By the way I am 18 and have little actuall ability in enginearing but am more than capable in giving ideas and tips as to how to make the thing just as cool as in the anime.

One more thing i took some pictures of the Air Trecks with my DSI and have them on my PC but can't get them to load onto this fourm, some help would be nice then they would be visible to everyone here.

Im usin alchemy FKL1 skates, the motors not inside the wheels, as it would crack upon impact(took me all of putting em on to find that out)

i'm usin minature car brake pads yeah:) i can go in reverse without the motor on, at the moment leaning back aplies the break so i cant go in reverse with the motor, unfortunately. Two wheel's btw, and yeah im not lying bout my jump, although it was off of a railing, it was amazing, but because the air cushion was too small, it smashed the motor as i landed:( if you could come onto a plane and see these, you'd be amazed, they're my pride and joy:)

if you have any ideas on how to improve on anything ive said please say so:)

do you have msn? if you do please message it to me.

No im not simrak:) and ive emailed you:)

yeah there pretty nice, and there really good for the money.

Im too lazy to carry big batteries around, so i managed to install what i could into the skates, and that makes my top speed around 20-30 mph.

i actually think im the person closest to creating a pair of AT's, for the moment atleast. I think the only thing i really need to perfect them is a power source small enough to fit into my AT's n yet it has to be powerful enough to power it to atleast 70 mph, (i like it fast, and 20-30 mph is actually pretty boring, jus like going down a hill on normal skates)

and as for the picture it'll take a while because i dont have a phone or a webcam or anything, so i'll get one for you when i get my phone in a month or so.

you can't. this is to prevent edit systems being abused.

when we let posts be editable indefinately people go back and change stuff to make anyone who replies to it seem a bit thick. it disrupts conversation and leads to confusion.

if you have further corrections to make, post them in your next post.

You seem to be well virst in this site, but what i want to take out is the email i put in anticipating being able to take it out agian as i said in the post it's self, is there a way i can ask an administrator to take it out or something?

you can PM an administartor if you want.

but why did you post the email if you were going to take it down soon after? you could have sent the user a private message.

next time, don't post anything you aren't comfortable leaving there forever as we don't like to delete things already posted.

Yet agian you are right, im not worried about it too much, it is a secondary email, but i posted that a few hours after joining the site and sufice it to say i didin't relize i could send privet messeges at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ok so here is how it is... well im only 15 (not sure bout you) and I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff (good builder of sorts...also I rollerblade lots) and I think that with the right design modifications you really could make air treck (the motorized blades) plus if any one could maybe send me their own designs or schematics of how they think air trecks are built (doesnt really have to be) please do.. also the safety factor, really most people stopped caring about that a long time ago.

i don't have any desings but i have an idea if u know how electric engines works than u would understand it .

my idea is that u put the magnets inside the wheels itself instead of using a engine i'll go make some easy made schedules later to make it easyer to understand kk

• 3 weeks later...

oh and in reply to everyone whos asked what voltage you need, the anime says 4 kilowats, i prefer to use 14 V, and the engines pretty tiny, but the basic consepts are the same, lean forwards and you speed up, theres an acellerater under the wheel arches, which when pushed on by anything, speeds the wheel up, theres also a brake at the back, so you lean backwards to slow down, the only real problem is that it cost me nearly £600 to make one, n it took me 6 months of workin everyday to get that kinda money, but well, it was worth it, for a minutes when i pulled off that first trick on my AT's i thought i gonna end up flying, its amazin, for everyone out there that has a job, save your money and make yourself a pair of AT's, you feel like a bird when your on em, you feel light as a feather, and when you do a sweet trick and your 10 or 20 meters of the ground, its the best, to put it simply:)

actually... i am trying to build a pair... but i don't know what type of acelerator to use...and i am not so sure how to use them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

very interesting i'm only 14 but i can't help just thinking about making air trecks when i watched the series

it would have to go pretty fast though at least 30 mph

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

oh also are we talking about putting this engine into rollerblades or making ur own rollerblades

cause right now i want them so much my minds already telling me what you could when there made

but they will probaly be illegal in england

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i'm thinking that we could make teams our selves and challenge people and the amount of tricks u would be able to do so many tricks

• 2 weeks later...