Air Trecks

Jon13

alright im new here so i read through yalls' ideas and got a thinking regarding the wheels how would we synchronize the left at's speed with the right at computer software's always a possibility but that would take a real advanced programmer to make that software?just wondering cuz im pretty sure none of us are keen on doing a 360 degree spinning slit that will tear our family jewel sac and send our skull smashing against the concrete

• 1 month later...

If you guys are looking for an image of an Air Treck, here it is fresh from the manga.

post-76343-0-59281600-1340581936_thumb.png

Although that wont help you much. But at least you get the idea.

Anyway, I saw someone at youtube to actually make a pair of skates similar to an Air Treck's appearance.

Although it doesn't have the motor you guys are looking for.

Here's the video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOeWG_uKZYY

Now if you guys are wondering... "Does it run well?"

Well... yes. I saw the test run as well.

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpLOoy9Ro44

Well... I have to say this, but you cant grind with those.

But I just had to give you guys the idea that the "design" or "appearance" of an Air Treck is possible.

And here's how he made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv9jVO4YlqU&feature=plcp

Now if you guys got the idea.

If the batter power, breaks, wheels and other problems are solved.

And you have successfully created "Air Trecks".

Good lord. Contact me. And I'm buying one. :D :D

Edited by ArrowOfZen

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

actually... i am trying to build a pair... but i don't know what type of acelerator to use...and i am not so sure how to use them...

So what parts did you use too actually build your A-T's?

Money is now no problem!

Sponsered by alchemy!

3 days till i get my first sponsership check

of 395 pounds sterling!

Im off to buy parts by the truck load!

Seeya^_^:D:d:d:d:d

What parts do you need I'm really a big fan of Air Gear and want too make them?

to be honest, i think Air Treks are possible, but you wouldn't be able to ride up a building. im not entirely sure how fast you could go, but you would need to figure out a control mechanism. in the anime, they use pressure at the rear (or front) of the foot to move. Some characters tend to push off like regular blades when not in a race, so that might help with the design.

• 5 weeks later...

hi there for all of those people who WANT to build a motorized rollerblade {or AT} im with you guys :lol:, i have been dreaming about building a pair ever seince the first time i watched AirGear. and to everybody who say its "impossible" shut the f*** up :angry:, ANYTHING is possible if you set your mind to it! so i would like to get to know all of my fellow go getter's better!:rolleyes:

okay, you are crushing everbody's dreams here by saying this shit! so what if we are "kids"! kids are the future of tomorrow! and if you thimk that you can crush other peoples dreams well then i can build them back up even stronger than before! as for your "' All people who post here suffer from a number of issues: '" there is a cure for that, its called classes, books legit online resources, RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so back off and let the faces of tomorrow take their rightful place and create AT's for the people of the world enjoy!

-boldkiller

http://www.psfk.com/2010/07/scientists-invent-new-material-that-can-store-huge-amounts-of-energy.hif

if you this look up it will show that ATs can be made

your being douche you know that

Yo! LOL!

Absolutely.

Couldn't agree more.

You're stating the obvious... so it's really hard to disagree. LOL! :eyebrow:

Anyway, it's really cool that all you kids like the air trecks. I hope some of you are learning some real engineering in the meantime. I really hope that some of you are doing calculations on the power requirements, battery life or torque - to name some random keywords... and not just being cool on the forums.

• 2 months later...

After reading all this I must say, you probably shouldn't waste your time. If you really insist the best idea I can come up with is use a weed Wacker engine with a flexible shaft to drive the wheel or if you want to go electric. I'm sure a 20 V lithium-ion battery pack and a half inch chuck, Dewalt drill will get you going, and they come with three speeds so you could pick the one that works for you. That'll get you testing and prototyping and you can fill out what you need from their.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like trying to make a pair. I think they use eletric or air powered motors because of the noise. Its not a loud sounding motor but more like a fan motor. Yes they may be micro-motors but still.

I think that if there was a device that turns the movement of the axels and wheels into energy that can recharge and power up the motor. Like for each foot the wheels or axle spin they send enough energy to go another foot into the motor and back and forth. A push-pull method. I may have years till I get up to the level I need to beable to do the required equations to understand what weight, size, and the power needed to order a single screw of this would be but I know that some day it will become a reality and I will have helped to make it.smile.pngevil.gifevil.gifsmile.pngcool.png

• 2 weeks later...

back, also more research, a friend of mine mentioned that if I was to use an open case motor, I might be able to use the wheel it's self and forward momentum of shifting weight to start and stop the engine as well as reverse the polarity to skate backwards. I still insist having a separate braking system easier accessible to the user through the heel of the skates just so people aren't risking their necks pointing their toes up to break.

second note: lithium polymer batteries are what we need, I found that out at a battery store a month ago, they are lighter weight and wonderfully form fitting for any design we might want.

there are two designs I could say are my top picks right now, one is powering a free spinning wheel I place running against another wheel like a track to get any wheel (including a bicycle) to move.

the other idea is to adhere a small circle of dot magnets directly onto the wheel its-self and then putting the open semi circle of copper up close to it suspended from above and to the side of the wheel at an angle, then sending the current along. Idea one would be safer and less likely to ground the charge immediately, although Idea two promises a more direct contact with the charge and a sleeker lighter design.

I already have a list of materials for both prototypes, I am willing to try and although I wouldn't invest in the lithium Polymer batteries yet, they aren't too expensive. the list is as follows: adhesive conductive copper tape(30-40$ on amazon), alligator clamps and wires (about 50$ total) spark gap igniters (20$ plus shipping and handling, and I'd need two so about $70) two large batteries (idk, they can be ds for all I care for the test experiment), electrode ends (can get attatched to the spark igniters online for an extra 10$ each so about $40 if I'm a sucker and don't do it myself) a large toy car (goodwill ftw prolly a buck) an amp-meter ($25 at sports good store) and a sustain pedal (basically a dime give or take at the goodwill distribution center) and a day with my brother who is better at the math for the wire distances and everything than I am XD. so... yeah about $250 if I do it the easy way or don't find all these things in goodwill in the first place. I'm still shopping around for better deals. step two- budgeting underway.

• 5 weeks later...

The first question is what you are going to use for the wheel. some materials are easy to mold around objects that you could place inside the wheel (if you are going with the engine inside the wheel idea?) or will you be using something harder so it doesn't grind down so quickly it you do reach high speeds with it?huh.png

we are actually are still working on different things to be used for the wheels. while also trying to fit some of the things we need in it. i work on a lot of the things at once instead of focusing on one. so were really just trying to make sure it will all fit right now and see if our math and what not is correct.

Oh.

So is there any ideas you need to bounce off someone? I don't have a lot of High level edu. when it comes to this kind of thing but I am really good at seeing things from another angle.

doh.gif

Email didn't let me know you posted a new post so soon after mine, sorry for taking a few days for this.

its fine. but i dont think its even in the bounce off heads stage yet. i wish this was the first thing on my to do list but it isnt. so ill need more time but we should get the main ideas finished and a blue print.

• 1 month later...

Ok ladies, I had to register to join in on this. I read the whole topic, laughed, cried, and tossed around some of my ideas with your. Since your all so hell bent on making these I might as well help/join in.

Bad points:

Perpetual motion, fans, sustain pedals, 160hp motors, splitting scooter motors in two, graphene (give it 5-10 years), and air in general

Good points:

Lipos, small motors (not hub motors since they fall apart on bumps and have weak acceleration), pressure activated throttle and braking, larger wheels (100mm?)

Just my judgement on this whole deal. And now a question of my own. How many watts would it take to get an 85kg person to 60mph in a tucked position? (The whole deal is if I can compile a setup that hits 60mph theoretically I'll actually start trying to build these. So far I've come up with a setup that involves a backpack, foot pressure controls and 1000w motor in each skate.

Seriously though, I've tried for a day or so to figure out the drag at 60mph in a tucked position and I can't do it. Even the force of air resistance would be awesome. Cheers, keep thinking, nothing gets done without it.

Also for gearing does anyone know of a very small cvt in production? It would elininate direct drive allowing freeskating and les bump when changing directions and greatly in prove acceleration. I've never seea mini cvt but I would not want to use a centrifugal clutch since it would be wasteful and make power regen impossible.

Seriously though, I've tried for a day or so to figure out the drag at 60mph in a tucked position and I can't do it.

Here's a list of drag coefficients (wikipedia). I'd go with the value for the cyclist or the skier.

It enables you to calculate that the drag force is about 300 N (rough back-of-the-envelope-calculation). At 60 mph, you're going about 27 m/s.

Power = Force * velocity = 300 * 27 = 8.1 kW, or about 11 hp.

Please note: this calculation is very rough... I did some rounding of the numbers. However, I still stand by my point of several years ago: I think you'll all struggle to get that kind of power in a shoe on wheels.

I see where your coming from, I'm at 2kw right now. Four would be relatively easy. But 8!" Jeez. If I could figure out a way to get a motor mounted longitudinally it might be doable. So my design right now, rouch calculation is 30mph, still not bad.