Air Trecks

Jon13

Hello I'm trying to make a motorized rollerskate. if you've seen the show Air Gear, then, you know what i'm trying to make i don't know if their is some sort out in the market today but i would like to own a pair. or make a pair. doesn't matter. if anyone could help with this i would greatly apriciate it.

I think you need to ask more specific questions to get some help. Nobody is going to give you a complete design, and I doubt anyone has experience with making motorized rollerskates (for example, all my "experience" is from watching Jackass, and that made me decide never to try it).

thanks, ok i'll try being more specific. there's a video on youtube that shows hoe to build one, but it's part of an episode, so i need to know how to cut that out and loop it so i can see the designs more clearly. then i can design some. search "air gear episode 1" and the plans are at 1:30 to 1:45 i think, it's a piece by piece clip.

• 4 weeks later...

The few seconds of the clip are the intro of a cartoon. I am not sure that the "air gear rollerblade thing" actually exists. Just to make it clear, we're discussing the thing that is in the pictures below, aren't we?

p.s. If you want to make a cool movie with a loop (I think it's a .gif), I can't help you, but Google might help. If you want to extract info from a movie in youtube, I suggest using the pause-button. Copy-paste the picture of the movie is done (in Windows) by pressing ctrl-print screen, then opening MS Paint, and pressing "paste".

youtubescience.JPG

Hello I'm trying to make a motorized rollerskate.

I'm sorry, but the first thing that comes to mind when you say this is the Darwin Awards. Lots of them feature small motorized vehicles or skis (which tend to have poor safety in the first place).

As for rollerskates, that would make for something with no protection, very top heavy, very low base support, and attached to your feet.

to my good friend the Capt. thank you, as for Mr.skeptic, yes they would be all of those things, but, i believe that the people who might be interested in using them would be able to over come all these things, as for safety, wear a helmet and good luck!

• 6 months later...

ok so here is how it is... well im only 15 (not sure bout you) and I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff (good builder of sorts...also I rollerblade lots) and I think that with the right design modifications you really could make air treck (the motorized blades) plus if any one could maybe send me their own designs or schematics of how they think air trecks are built (doesnt really have to be) please do.. also the safety factor, really most people stopped caring about that a long time ago.

Edited by Phi for All
The discussion stays here, please

bloody_thorn - You shouldn't share your email openly like that. It will get picked up by the spam bots, and you're going to be in for some hurt if you leave it in your post. You can click "Edit" and remove it.

Besides, any discussion should be shared here in the forums so we can all learn from it. :)

bloody_thorn - You shouldn't share your email openly like that. It will get picked up by the spam bots, and you're going to be in for some hurt if you leave it in your post. You can click "Edit" and remove it.

Besides, any discussion should be shared here in the forums so we can all learn from it. :)

Agreed. But I'm more concerned that someone we don't know very well might be getting the email addresses of our other members. Let's just discuss this idea here because hey, it's what we do.

i found all the parts needed 2 make functioning air trecks! all u need is a load cell, or u can make ur own using 4 strain gauges. the rest is simple.

if u dont kno, a load cell gives an output of electricity in accordance to stress, that stress can be anything, including WEIGHT! HA! :D:D:D that accounts for the weight aspect of at's. i will have this done in a few months so plz dont steal my idea. i'll sell u some if u want then tho'.

me so kewl!:cool:

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to read your next idea. Lemming powered skates? :)

For everybody who is seriously considering rollerblades with engines:

Please check the following things:

1. Jack ass. They tried rocket skates. It's on Youtube. It hurts.

2. The smallest engine that you can find for a bike/motorbike or any other transportation for people. Notice that it's quite big! The engine from your radio controlled car isn't gonna do it.

3. Any mechanism to connect the two rollerblades. If the power output is not exactly the same on the left and right, you're going to hurt yourself a lot. At 10 km/h (not fast), a 1% difference in speed means that your feet are moving 3 cm/s away from each other. That's more than half a meter in 20 seconds.

I could come up with lots of other reasons why this is a bad idea... but somehow I get the feeling that a bunch of people fell in love with technology from a cartoon.

People: Build a motorized skateboard! It has many advantages:

Point 3 is no issue. And you can jump off it when it all goes bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Electric engines have their specifications in watts or kilowatts. Only combustion engines are generally specified in horsepowers... do you want combustion engines strapped to your feet, or do you prefer electricity?

2. Just look up how much a horsepower exactly is (hint: it's close to 750 W), and calculate it yourself. :)

I stumbled apon this thread while conducting research on wats been done so far.

if someone can post what sort of baseline wattage is required to move a person on 8 (or 4) comparatively small wheels then I can start prototyping based on a concept I've been working on (might post up my Pro Desktop pics some time soon but still a bit paranoid about posting unpatented concepts on the net.)

EDIT Never mind the last part!

p.s about the issue of each foot differing in speed you can sync them by a radio+speedcontroller if you get what I mean.

Edited by Redjakal

• 2 weeks later...
I stumbled apon this thread while conducting research on wats been done so far.

if someone can post what sort of baseline wattage is required to move a person on 8 (or 4) comparatively small wheels then I can start prototyping based on a concept I've been working on (might post up my Pro Desktop pics some time soon but still a bit paranoid about posting unpatented concepts on the net.)

EDIT Never mind the last part!

p.s about the issue of each foot differing in speed you can sync them by a radio+speedcontroller if you get what I mean.

the radio speed controller, with some more of the ideas previously posted, you might be able to. it would be entirely circuit, and small enough to fit

the radio speed controller, with some more of the ideas previously posted, you might be able to. it would be entirely circuit, and small enough to fit

Your speed controller should be something of the type of a dead man's switch. If you fall, and let go of the controller, the engine(s) must stop immediately. I do not believe that this essential part is found on a radio speed controller...

Please consider safety first, then practicality.

As in the other thread - has anyone built anything so far? Anything at all???

well u can put a dead man’s switch in the boot switch would do the same thing.

and as for building any thing at the moment I’m building a little test rig so i can experiment with different propulsion methods.

(btw switched from desktop pro to solid works so I have to redo all my modeling).

• 4 weeks later...

i have had an idea about the wheels.

in the manga there seems to be mechanisms inside the wheels and i have had a little idea.

By using a "Two Pole DC Electric Motor" inside the wheel, you are able to generate rotation.

A "Two Pole DC Electric Motor" is meant to rotate anyway but by putting it inside the wheel i thought it could increase the speed of the ATs :)

by using an electromagnet as the Field Magnet it increases the speed but the set back there is electromagnets drain the power out of the power supply very quickly.

my reference for the motion:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/enlarge-image.htm?terms=motor&page=0

the actually explanation behind it:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/motor.htm/printable

• 1 month later...

hey i'm not really good at mechanical stuff, but i think that if u use something like a suspencion or something that acelerates the at it will kind of work and if u thiunk of normal ways of energy i don't think is good enougth soo how about wind power like wind turbines, like the giant ones? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Windenergy.jpg

and put a similar motor on the front wheel u can give energy to the backk wheel and the front wheel is going to keep going around witch actually produces the energy here, how about it?