A laser tricorder.

aman

I read an interesting article in Discover recently about a light scanner for seeing inside people. You know how a very intense light held against the human chest in a dark room will show a pink lit body from the back that will illuminate the room. That means light passes through the body.

Our technology is trying to make receivers that interpret the light reflected directly back from the body but by minute time increments. Just below the surface some light gets through and reflects and the same with deeper tissue. By measuring that light that is reflected directly back and tuning the time difference of light reception these receivers can see a total visual scan of the insides of the body. Linked to a computer a diagnostic can be made. The future seems almost here.

Just aman

If the US doesn't get over its problems with viewing the unclothed human body then we are in for a real stinky pile of crap in the future. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of naked women. Hey I'm a man and that's just what we do. Maybe familiarity might breed adaptation and no response but if we get where we can see under clothes I'd rather we went nude than wrapped in tinfoil.

Just aman

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

Rad Ed, where do you work thats got such exciting thing going on (Area 51?)? I'm just a boring teenager, today I picked up some applications for various grocery stores----- i don't think I'll have anything like that going on down the hall.

that was my old university, Imperial College London. You don't need to go to some fancy place like a military research institution to get interesting stuff done, if anything alot of those will be the opposite, since the focus will be mostly on maiming and killing and how to slaughter humans more effectively than ever before.

Just work hard, and get to a good university, and you too can do stuff like that.

Actually I take that back, I'm not that boring. Actually I'm on the verge. I have a lot factors that would destine me to loserdom, but then I've also been blessed with friends that don't always realize what a loser I am and so they keep me a level above all that. I am very grateful. All good in me, I owe to factors outside me. Sad yes, but I am glad I have opportunity to see the light and ESCAPE.