Recommended books

Rune175

Until now my studies have been about chemistry and biochemistry and space technology, but now I feel a strong need to expand my horizon, so to speak. So what I need is lots of physics!

I have bought the following 5 books so far, containing the subjects: General relativity, special relativity, physics basic, physics advanced, Quantum field theory.

are these books a good "start up" or do I need some more or have I missed some important subjects. I was thinking of also buying books regarding the subjects: Vectors, String theory, superconductors and non linear systems.

Looking forward for your answers.

Regards

1: Chemistry: Concepts and Problems: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)

2: Special Relativity (M.I.T. Introductory Physics Series)

3: Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)

4: Quantum Field Theory

5: A First Course in General Relativity

Perhaps also a book about chaos theory.

I guess any further recommendations depend on how much mathematics you know. General relativity can't be fully appreciated without differential geometry, for example.

If you're interested in learning more than just concepts, you'll need to tell us what level of mathematics you've learned.

If you don't mind just reading an overview, I can recommend Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos, which is a very good introduction to quantum phenomena.

I have learned a great deal of math and I have been reading about relativity before and I could understand it well. I'm very interested in learning more than just concepts.

My mistake I should have explained how well my math understading is!

Physics is all a connection. In there everything fits with everything, the equations just keep on going to their best form and I am sure that you will enter the world of physics without any big problem. Most people hate physics because of the equations, the "hard" math that is there but it's not really a big deal. Every equation, every symbol represent something from the reality around. If you take logically, and do them yourself, not take them for granted, you will see how beautiful, elegant and realistic physics is!

I suggest you to start with something basic (if you want to go step by step) and gradually advance. You will get great deal of success!

Good luck,

Shade:D

I agree with you Shade! In the mid school I always hated math, physics and chemistry. When I got to highschool I began to think logic about the equations and, as you said, found the beauty in them.

Now, 4 years later and with the last 2 years studying biochemistry and math/physics in my spare time, I just love it. I mean, seriously, who can sit on a sunday evening and study math and enjoy it? :)

I'll take your advice and go basic first, and think logic with the equations. Thanks alot!

Shade if I should do what you suggest, take it step by step, do you have a "plan" for what I should read in what order?

The Books I have bought on Amazon I could imagine I should read in the following order: First the book about basic physics, then the two books on general and special relativity, and last the book on Quantum Field Theory.

But, there is always a but, should I perhaps read som other books in between or before or after? Man all these questions.. Well hope you can help :)

About Chaos & Nonlinear systems;

Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Engineering by Steven Strogatz. A strong emphasis on intuitive understanding, nothing on formal proofs. It's an incredible book, I think every student with a least 2 courses in calculus should read it.

Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, Perko (new printing, 2008). If you're interested in nonlinear systems, it's probably the best book, but it's quite advanved.

Ordinary differential equations and Dynamical Systems, by Gerald Teschl. Free online book, produced with LaTeX, so it's beautiful. I only read some sections of it, but so far it seems great, with a good deal of material about chaos.

...it's unrelated, but I have to recommend Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Stanley J. Farlow. It's less than 15 bucks on amazon and it's a wonderful introduction to the world of PDEs (i.e.: heaven, or some might say hell...). It's made of about 50 small chapters (called Lessons), again with little emphasis on formal proofs.

A plan? Not specifically really. I see that you have bought a book called Physics Basic, I haven't read it but judging by the title I would say start with it. Start with classical and general physics. You will be dealing with easy things first, and that all have practical uses. The part I like most here is electrostatics and electricity. It's really awesome how you can do things on your own, and if you do this you will see how practical those equations are. I especially enjoyed solving problems dealing with velocities, mass, angles, power, voltage, resistance and a lot more that you will meet there. Piece of cake;)!

When you think that you have come up to a point where you can handle classical physics well enough, then move to on to quantum theory, relativity and theoretical physics, but before you do that, I'd suggest reading "The Elegant Universe" so you can get a more generalized picture of the 'aim' of physics. It's not like I have done all these but I am doing them and I really find enjoy what I am doing, and I assure you that you will too.

Take care,

Shade

Two quick comments:

- Science and especially physics textbooks are usually referred to by the name of the author, not by the title.

- If you want to understand a textbook, you cannot expect to read it in the same manner and speed as a novel. Depending on how in-depth the books are, you might already have enough reading stuff for the next two years.

- Bonus comment: I see no book on Quantum Mechanics and I am not sure if the physics intro book covers Hamiltonian Mechanics (check that). Also, I am not sure if a masters in Biochemistry offers a sufficient mathematical background to understand the more advanced physics topics.

True, math is not really connected with my masters atm. However after my master in biochemistry and nutrition, I will study physics and math for additional 5 years, so these books are as much a hobby as they are a preparation for my future study.

And, if I have problems with some equations - I know where to ask ;)

Is this the book you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Lagrangian-Hamiltonian-Mechanics-M-Calkin/dp/9810226721

No, I was not referring to any particular book. I was just seeing that none of the books sounds like having an introduction to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics. I do not know if it's necessary to buy a book that explicitly covers the topic. The topic should be part of any (theoretical) mechanics book for physicists. You can check your introduction book, perhaps it's in there, already. I just thought that the gap "introductionary physics, <no analytical mechanics>, <no Quantum Mechanics>, Quantum Field Theory" looked quite big.

Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" and his follow-up book "The Fabric of the Cosmos".

Both excellent books and easy to follow/understand.

Also, "Just Six Numbers" by Martin Rees is highly recommended too.

I noticed that too Atheist, I don't know of a book of quantum mechanics or quantum field theory for that matter that covers classical mechanics in any sufficient way. I am not sure if they assume you know this material already.

• 4 weeks later...