Memory-Nature vs Nurture

While on another site reading an article on photographic memory. A simple question came to me. It was "can one improve one's memory without using some sort of trick to it?". For example, without using some sort of mnemonic. So, if one were to constantly memorise things...let's say definitions from a dictionary, will one's ability to remember in that specific way improve as a result of repetition? Or is our ability to memorise things based purely on genetics? Or is it a bit of both?

BTW, I have heard that many people do not believe in the so-called photographic memory. Any theories, or ideas behind it?

Soz, if the first question seems naive, anyway I'd love to hear any thoughts on these. Thanks.

I've often wished I could improve my memory! Let me know what you find out.

I haven't used them, but there are a couple software tools designed to help marshal your thoughts and ideas and put them in a format that allows you to make new, profound connections that you wouldn't have made otherwise. MindMaps is one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map

Sort of an artificial way of improving one's memory. Later, R.

• 9 months later...

Why are you against mnemonics? I use a system of visual mnemonics, the Giordano memorization system with great success, you can have a visual synopsis of an entire book in your mind, with images representing every paragraph or information within pargraphs, if you want. The thing is that most mnemonics, except visual ones, are useless and with the visual mnemonics you still need to build a memory skill through training. It's like learning to write. But we need this to memorize textual information efectively. Our brains are not naturaly adapted to memorizing textual information any more than they are naturaly adapted to understanding it, it takes a skill wich is learned, and I think this is what keeps many peple from mastering memory techniques, they are not thought in school and most people don't dedicate the time to learn a skill outside of school.

[[MOD NOTE: LINK REMOVED AS SPAM]]

Edited by mooeypoo

I would like to know the science behind a photographic memory, although I have always presumed it wasn't actually photographic but just extremely good, I can remember most picture and diagrams fairly easily. Massive blocks of text are a lot harder and I would presume that I was fairly average so being able to remember a block of text would just be easier for other because of genetic factors, as well as the amount of practise they have had memorising things.

They have probably just learned the skill and were naturally better at remembering in the first place the two really complement each other, if you can easily remember thing you are more likely to remember more about a particular item than another person because you have the ability too.

• 1 month later...

People who have photographic memory have very good observation skills. ;) Often times they rely on their senses. But we through memory training could achieve the same if not better. ^^, Mnemonics and rote memory really helps if you practice either often.

:P

What do you think about those who are autistic savants?

what exactly is mnemonics or whatever? is it where you just convert everything you experience into pictures?

if so, id have to say im against that, well, kind of. i think that focusing on just one way to memorize something is as unhealthy for mental processes as not doing any at all. you should do others, like try to remeber things by smell, or taste, or all at once. then i think is when you can see a greater mental capacatie and abilites. or just do something like new like walk around with your eyes closes like voltmans link suggests. the way it describes how it works really does seem benificial.