waves, energy, mass

DivideByZero

1) To my knowledge, waves transfer energy right?

2) E=mc2 means that energy and mass can be interchangeable?

3) so does that mean that waves can also transfer mass? [because of statement 2]

If waves can transfer mass then why haven't we summoned the ability to teleport?

1) yep.

2) yep.

3) yep.

Because it's really hard to convert mass -> energy, energy -> mass esspecially in a predictable way to say get an atom out that you want. And the energies involved are ENORMOUS!

It should also be noted that mass (particles) are also waves...

1) yep.

2) yep.

3) yep.

Because it's really hard to convert mass -> energy, energy -> mass esspecially in a predictable way to say get an atom out that you want. And the energies involved are ENORMOUS!

It should also be noted that mass (particles) are also waves...

woah thats pretty interesting!

i want to find a way to teleport! ("beam me up scotty")

There certainly must be something about energy we haven't discovered. Something that may lead us to invent teleportation, right? :D

The problem is using it is an amazing amount of energy, and you have no way of assembling your molecules the same way they were before. So teleportation, at least in the sense you are talking, is very improbable.

If waves can transfer mass then why haven't we summoned the ability to teleport?

We do, but the total mass transferable is quite low just due the E=mc^2, so such teleportation is feasible just for very thin clouds of matter, so called boson condensates.

We do, but the total mass transferable is quite low just due the E=mc^2, so such teleportation is feasible just for very thin clouds of matter, so called boson condensates.

Um, no. No matter teleportation has occurred. "Only" information has been teleported.

"Only" information has been teleported.

The information cannot be transported without matter, until you prove the opposite (by some example). The information in boson condensate is transferred by number of atoms.

The information cannot be transported without matter, until you prove the opposite (by some example). The information in boson condensate is transferred by number of atoms.
"Traditional" quantum teleportation uses entanglement, through this process only information about the system (more specifically a quantum state) is transferred.

I've also read about this teleportation that uses BEC (Bose-Einstein condensates). This method, roughly speaking, takes a collection of atoms and places them by a BEC, the atoms will then release energy so they can collapse down an energy level and become part of the BEC. This energy is in the form of photons, and can be collected and sent down a fibre optical cable. Thus information about the number of atoms that collapsed to join the BEC can be transmitted. But this is still "only" information, and more specifically it is the information which tells you about the number of atoms that joined the BEC. No matter is teleported anywhere, only information about the system is transmitted.

One method of quantum teleportation transfers a quantum state using entanglement, and one measures the number of atoms collapsing in to a BEC.

Both forms of quantum teleportation are quite different, in terms of method, but they both transfer information only, and not matter.

As mentioned earlier it might he possible to "beam" a person, or remove the total mass of that person from one place to another, even though the energy it would require would be enormous.

But imagine this. One thing is to split a person into molecules, this is the easy part so to speak - but how do you assembly the billions of molecules the right way after you have "beamed" that person to a new location? I would prefer to be reassembled the way I was before I was beamed :)

Your claim, your burden of proof. Find me a cite for the experiment that teleported matter.

As mentioned earlier it might he possible to "beam" a person, or remove the total mass of that person from one place to another, even though the energy it would require would be enormous.
Eh!? You're saying that taking a person's mass, converting it to energy, "beaming" it somewhere else, then reassembling it might be a way towards teleportation!? Are you crazy!?!?

Have you ever seen pictures of a nuclear bomb? Hiroshima was an example of 0.6kg to energy, humans weigh 60kg+, to give you an idea of the scale involved.

Yeah in theory, but 1) you could never reconstruct the matter, at least never if you want to reconstruct a living being 2) it's just crazy I tell you!!

But imagine this. One thing is to split a person into molecules, this is the easy part so to speak - but how do you assembly the billions of molecules the right way after you have "beamed" that person to a new location? I would prefer to be reassembled the way I was before I was beamed :)
Just split it into molecules? Yeah sure, you can just blow him/her up.

Without damage? Umm... no! And reassembling it into the proper form it just simply impossible. I read something similar on Kaku's "Visions" and to tell you the truth I was sad how could such serious physicist think of something like that being possible.

Eh!? You're saying that taking a person's mass, converting it to energy, "beaming" it somewhere else, then reassembling it might be a way towards teleportation!? Are you crazy!?!?

Have you ever seen pictures of a nuclear bomb? Hiroshima was an example of 0.6kg to energy, humans weigh 60kg+, to give you an idea of the scale involved.

Yeah in theory, but 1) you could never reconstruct the matter, at least never if you want to reconstruct a living being 2) it's just crazy I tell you!!

I was talking only theory, as you mention yourself in your last 2 lines. If it's possible to do it with an atom, then in theory it should be possible to do it on a larger scale.

When you say 0.6 kg to energy, was that the total amount of mass that became energy of the bomb?

I was talking only theory, as you mention yourself in your last 2 lines. If it's possible to do it with an atom, then in theory it should be possible to do it on a larger scale.

When you say 0.6 kg to energy, was that the total amount of mass that became energy of the bomb?

It's a bit too theoretical though! ;)

And yes (I just double checked) Little Boy (the nuke that was dropped on Hiroshima) contained 64kg of uranium, 0.7kg underwent fission, and 0.6kg became energy.

1) To my knowledge, waves transfer energy right?

2) E=mc2 means that energy and mass can be interchangeable?

3) so does that mean that waves can also transfer mass? [because of statement 2]

It had been forever since I looked at this, and I never went beyond first year Physics, but on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_theory

"Waves travel and transfer energy from one point to another, often with little or no permanent displacement of the particles of the medium (that is, with little or no associated mass transport); instead there are oscillations around almost fixed positions."

"...or for electromagnetic / light waves in a vacuum, where the concept of medium does not apply."

The properties of the energy seem to influence the dispersal of source to location. Most, as was I, are related in studying mechanical waves like in a ripple effect on water. Where you can plot the course and see the interaction. And, they do in this case relocate mass, but in the strict sense, they're entirely different, it would seem. The ones that pop in my head are the EM waves, which occur perpindicular to one another on a plane. So, in the classic study of a basic antenna, you have the amplitude of voltage, and in opposition the created magnetic field. Which, allows the separation of all other signals striking at the time.

Accoustics, do influence motion in the medium and receptor, through vibrations. But, it tends to oscillate, not cause traversion.

Teleportation, is claimed to have been achieved, although not reproducible. Some link it to mirrored-particles, oft described as light bearing/interference types. Never looked into it much, as it seemed plethargic to me. But, it was stated a particle in observation was simultaneously elsewhere, also. That is, it existed in two locations at the same time. They supposedly were able to influence this upon other introduced particles. However, given the countless reiterations of the term "observer", sounds like someone in a mock-effect of what was hap'pening elsewhere, at that time. Difficult process to fathom, but yields that visualization being key for some , can at times lead to frought.

Anyways, true teleportation is the study of the 'worm hole' effect. But, since it has never been achieved, it is pure theory. Most conject it is of utmost priority that the atoms and molecules change in such a way that they be "compressed" of a sorts. To an infinitessimal range, then distance becomes relative, and you may 'zap' yourself to an infinite, adverse distance.

When doing so, as many theorize, your information of reassimilating may be lost, and you get dispersed more than you wanted. To an infinite range...

The process I'm familiar with in this rearrangement entices at the theory of the distance normal to matter becoming influenced by a form of energy that causes the internal space to become unnecessary, while maintaining the original composition. It's worth looking into if interested.

It's a bit too theoretical though! ;)

And yes (I just double checked) Little Boy (the nuke that was dropped on Hiroshima) contained 64kg of uranium, 0.7kg underwent fission, and 0.6kg became energy.

So you just need enough energy as a 6400 kg nuke? Then you could make it happen, I just can't se the problem!! :D

The chances of it stabilizing into the particles you want is tremendously low. We had to use HUGE amounts of more energy to find the truth quark. The energy will want to take form in much smaller particles before it coughs out the big ones.

For example we have Tevatron Colliders now, but the Higgs Boson is only considered to weigh 100-120 GeV's, yet we havn't seen it.

So you just need enough energy as a 6400 kg nuke? Then you could make it happen, I just can't se the problem!! :D
Yeah something like that! Although remember that the 64kg of uranium -> 0.6kg of pure energy is what was generated by the first nuclear bomb. I'm almost certain though that more efficient designs have been developed since then, allowing you to drop a smaller bomb but obtain the same (maybe greater) yield. Also remember you can use other materials, namely plutonium. So you're on the right tracks, but it's a bit more complex than it seems, at least initially, as always!