What keeps you interested in Science?

YT2095

I`m curious to know what keeps some of you still interested in Science, it`s certainly not an easy subject and can be a very demanding mistress!

we`ve had chats about what got interested in the 1`st place and what your most hated things (yucky jobs are) and we all face them daily, what keeps you coming back though?

in fact what motivates you answer Science questions or be here?

I know mine (I think) I`de like to hear some of your thoughts too :)

because i wanna find out the fundamental particle structure.

and how the brain works and how to create intelligence.

And designing algorithms is fun...the satisfcation that it works

is what i aim for whether it be in neural nets, graphics or graph theory.

I like knowing things, and the more you learn about science, the more there is to know.

As to why I answer questions here, I like being helpful, and I've always been the kind of person who raises her hand in class. Answering questions makes me pull old things I learned in school out of mental storage -- though it also makes me do a quick Google search occasionally to make sure I really do know what I'm talking about. ;)

When I discover the meaning, reason, source of the universe I'll be mortally depressed.

I think it has to do with self discovery. It's the journey rather than the destination, even though I would like to believe it's the destination, because that is the goal, isn't it?

I think it's self discovery for everyone, science or not, to find out where they fit in the universe, on every level. After all, we are our own favorite subject. Or maybe girls.

I love to get my teeth into a challenge....and science is a HUGE challenge! I do it for real in a research lab and you can beat your head against a brick wall day by day...but I love it. When you crack a technical challenge it's the most amazing thing. At the moment I'm helping to supervise a (very bright) honours student and it's been quite a journey helping him to understand that textbook theory does not always translate into lab success....such is science, and I wouldn't swap it for any highly paid crap job that had no merit.

I like solving things that are phenomenally difficult to solve. This is my Everest. I like puzzles, but obscure puzzles, not word puzzles. Programming games is one of my hobbies. Solving the Lottery is another, as you can see, I set high goals. Solving everything to myself, meaning that I am happy if I know how the universe works, even if it is not scientifically proven. I know the meaning of life... now to solve the Lotto....

Pincho.