"New" 7 deadly sins!

YT2095

I read about this and I`m like WTF!???

as a Christian Myself, I still cannot believe the utter Hypocrisy going on here, not to mention Who gives them the RIGHT to add "new things" to the Bible!? (a sin in itself)

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hOr8FN-nX3tSMtDAAk-6sgPGCu7g

http://africa.reuters.com/odd/news/usnL1096023.html

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23348817-5005962,00.html

if Wealth is a Sin, how do they reconcile that with the fact that the Vatican and all it`s Treasures and artwork worth Billions! and are the Richest religious organisation on the planet (we`re talking Obscenely Rich!), and then spouts off This crap, when they could probably end 3`rd world starvation without breaking a sweat!?

if it wasn`t so Laughable, I would be offended.

not to mention smokers (mutagenic carcinogens in tobacco iirc)

[...] Who gives them the RIGHT to add "new things" to the Bible!? (a sin in itself)

umm... god? didn't he leave the 'pope' as his liason atwix earth and heaven? only applicable if you're catholic, of course, but iirc it's there in the bible that the pope is god's representative on earth, to whom he speaks?

anyhoo, the 7 deadly sins aren't actually in the bible iirc... they're just set down by the holy C (along with the 7 lesser sins iirc, but my memory's hazy on this tbh), so i don't see the problem with 7 new sins.

Our current methods of reproduction lead to alterations to the DNA. There is hope however. If we can just get the hang of cloning then we avoid this new sin.

Does anyone else think the Vatican haven't quite thought this through?

Oh, I forgot; we have to sort out the problems of teleomeres getting trimmed. (they are part of the DNA and we aren't allowed to change them. That might lead to imortality and, therefore , to population explosions that make all the previous ones look like a slight glitch. Mind you the Vatican's teachings on contraception seem to indicate that they think this is a desirable outcome anyway.

shouldn't we ALL be going to hell for genetic manipulation? isn't that essentially why our offspring are variations of the older model(parent).

I was going to add that, but unless it's part of a breeding experiment, I don't think it follows. You're just mixing the genes of the parents, at random.

But there are mutations, so whoever is responsible for them, is going to ... oh, dear.

Just for the record, the seven deadly sins are not in the Bible. They were declared by the church in the 6th century. (Am I the only one here who's actually read the thing?)

Catholics don't read the bible, it's not good for the faith :)

These aren't "new" by any measure. The Bible already condemns excessive wealth and activities which harm the community generally. This is just an awareness exercise. It's nothing to get your habit in a wad about.

I'm surprised by how little a lot of people hear seem to understand basic Christianity. The pronouncements of the Vatican don't get "tacked on to the Bible." They exist as a parallel theology. And as Sisyphus has pointed out, the "Seven Deadly Sins" come from a cyclical by Pope Gregory I and were popularized in Dante's The Inferno. They are a condensation of Biblical teachings, not an addendum to them.

Modern christian churches very fortunately edit the bible, and carefully select from it what they teach. After all, the bible teaches that homosexuals be put to geath, 'witches' be killed, adulterers be stoned to death, most seafood be banned from the diet, that slavery is OK, and there is nothing wrong with polygamy.

I am a non Christian (agnostic) and I have read the bible from cover to cover. You are right. The 7 deadly sins was another pope's ravings. As is this lot.

It is this sort of negativity against religion that ruined SFN's philosophy & religion forum. Please try to restrain yourself.

I am a non Christian (agnostic) and I have read the bible from cover to cover. You are right. The 7 deadly sins was another pope's ravings. As is this lot.
It is this sort of negativity against religion that ruined SFN's philosophy & religion forum. Please try to restrain yourself.

I'm Confused to see you call attention to this post, instead of this one by Phil. Seems to me that saying popes can have ravings isn't nearly as negative as commenting on the whole of catholicism.

Catholics don't read the bible, it's not good for the faith :)

It was just a joke... (based on a true fact).

"Recent research conducted in Italy, Spain and France found that many Catholics consider the sacred Scriptures as something 'reserved for the clergy' rather than as an accessible resource for them to draw upon for truth and inspiration in their own lives" - Bishop Vincenzo Paglia, president of the Catholic Bible Federation.

Modern christian churches very fortunately edit the bible, and carefully select from it what they teach. After all, the bible teaches that homosexuals be put to geath, 'witches' be killed, adulterers be stoned to death, most seafood be banned from the diet, that slavery is OK, and there is nothing wrong with polygamy.

Being fair - thats only the old testiment, which was superseeded by the new - which preaches repentance and forgiveness rather than the stoning and burning. Oh and we can eat pretty much anything now. But I still hate black pudding. :D