Multiple Dimensions

foodchain

Are you asking if so-called "hidden variables" could be residing in higher dimensions?

If so I believe the answer is no, based on Bell's theorem (and the Aspect experiment that verified it). Bell's theorem said that if any hidden variable exist (and the assumption I'm making here is this includes your theoretical higher dimensional hidden variables, which, if they do exist, I think is a safe assumption to make) then Bell's inequality would be correct. Whilst if QM is correct (that is to say, the universe truly is indeterministic) then Bell's inequality would be violated - as was shown to happen in Aspect's experiment (and many more that have been carried out since).

Basically what I'm saying is that once Bell's theorem was verified it was proved that there are no hidden variables, full stop, i.e. including in other dimensions.

• 1 year later...

I believe the Aspect experiment and Bell's theorem taught us that that the disruption of entanglement is fundamentaly non-local, that even if there are hiddin variables, they too are non-local in nature.

Correct me if this belongs in a different thread. The question I would like to ask is does any string theory, with it's multidimensial ideas offer any insight concerning those kinds of hidden variables? Is the consideration of an extradimensional cause resulting in instant disentanglement a property of any of the well known string theories.

I believe the Aspect experiment and Bell's theorem taught us that that the disruption of entanglement is fundamentaly non-local, that even if there are hiddin variables, they too are non-local in nature.

That was my impression as well

Correct me if this belongs in a different thread. The question I would like to ask is does any string theory, with it's multidimensial ideas offer any insight concerning those kinds of hidden variables? Is the consideration of an extradimensional cause resulting in instant disentanglement a property of any of the well known string theories.

Good question.

Non - locality really messes with causality and time. I have no idea how string theory might solve that.

Having said that, I can't make sense of it without extra dimensions either.