communicating with an extraterrestrial civilisation

JohnF

Wow! Yet another zombie topic, lots of good info and lots of assumptions... so let me make a few.

Aliens... How can you make any assumptions about aliens? They are aliens but if they space travel they have to have technology, it might be god like to us but it would still be technology, that about the only thing I think of to assume about them, they could even be a machine intelligence...

Colonize the Earth? I have some severe doubts about that, alien life may not even be based on nucleic acids as we know them, even if we assume a carbon/water based life form something as simple as allergies to biological particles, ie pollen, on the earth could make the earth totally uninhabitable to them, crossing light years to deal with a planet that will probably not sustain them is unlikely.

In fact I doubt a truly advanced species would even need or want planets at all. Freely orbiting space colonies spun to create artificial gravity makes much more sense, and makes far more stars inviting to colonization, isn't Vega thought to have a huge Cloud of asteroid and dust type material around it much more massive than all the planets in our solar system? Such stars would be far more favored for colonization than stars with planets...

Can ET listen in on our radio broadcasts? No, probably not, the radio noise of the earth is probably not detectable very far past one light year in distance due to interstellar noise and ions, directed beams of radio waves can be detected across the cosmos but radio noise leakage not so much, their could be a civilization around the stars of the Alpha Centaury system and we would not know it unless they directed a radio beam at us.. which has been detected coming from other stars, the signals were described as being similar to military radar that just happened to cross our detectors, although they were coming from much closer to the center of our galaxy and did not repeat but if it was just a chance detection of military radar and not a real attempt contact anyone then that is expected...

I think it is quite possible that aliens are already here, mining the ort cloud and maybe the asteroids, they could communicate in ways we cannot detect, neutrino beams?, Just because we can't detect advanced aliens doesn't mean they don't exist....

...I doubt a truly advanced species would even need or want planets at all. Freely orbiting space colonies spun to create artificial gravity makes much more sense...

By definition, hypothetical 'Biblically-advanced', i.e. 'God-like', Super Aliens, would be 'Super-Natural', i.e. Superior-to-Natural. Er go, such Super Aliens would be able to construct artificial structures, which were superior to comparable natural systems, e.g. "Dyson Spheres > planets". Indeed, Super Aliens would have no need for any naturally occurring structures, e.g. worlds, stars, galaxies. For, 'They' would be able to 'build better', e.g. fusion 'furnaces' more efficient & controllable than stars, to power 'Their' super-structures, cp. the central power-source for the 'death star' in the movie Star Wars:

DeathStar2Core.jpg

Thus, 'They' would plausibly 'atomize & consume' all available mass-energy resources, e.g. moon / earth / sun, to incorporate the mass-energies so acquired, into 'Their' artificial super-structures. And so, since 'They' would be super-energy-efficient, i.e. 'Biblically-black', such Super Aliens would plausibly leave behind a 'dark void' in 'Their' wake, through the swaths of space, that 'They' had 'harvested'.