the removal of chromosomes.

copperstream

Hello everybody.

Iam publishing this which i was thinking for 5 years....

Gorilla has 24 set of chromosomes. right???

If we remove a set of chromosome from the cell of a gorilla and alow it to grow,after some evolution will it form a human?????

Please help me.

Hi copperstream,

I am not formally trained in evolution, genetics, or in biology, but I am pretty confident that the answer to your question is no.

You implied that removing one set of chromosomes from a gorilla might result in a human. So you know, it's not just any arbitrary "missing" chromosome that makes humans different from great apes. You are corrrect that the cells of all great apes (like chimpanzees and gorillas) contain 24 pairs of chromosomes, but human cells contain only 23 pairs.

Now, the comment I am about to make is known because something called telemeres are normally found on the ends of every chromosome, and in the middle of every chromosome we find centromeres.

However, telemeres are also found in the middle of human chromosome number -2- (as well as two centromeres), but not in the chromosomes of great apes.

This implies to us that, at some point in human evolution, two "ape like" chromosomes merged together (they "fused") and what used to be the end points of two "ape like" chromosomes now make up the middle of human chromosome number -2-.

Additionally, although humans evolved where two "ape like" chromosomes fused into one, hence humans have 23 chromosome pairs instead of the great ape 24 chromosome pairs, there are also other differences in our DNA.

It is not as if every other piece of our DNA is the same EXCEPT this fused pair of chromosomes. No. There are other differences, many differences that have come about as a result of random mutations. For this reason, simply "removing a pair of chromosomes from a gorilla," in my humble estimation, would NOT result in a human.

In sum, your question sounds to me as if you're asking, "If we remove the tires from a Toyoda, will it ultimately result in a Chevrolet?" I concede that I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is no. I've seen a lot more Chevy's in my day that were missing tires than I've seen Toyodas, but I'm still confident on my response above that it would take much more change than "removing a pair of chromosomes" from a gorilla to make a human. ;)

Good luck in your quest. :)

at a guess, if we fuse two of ape's chromosomes together so that their karyotype is the same as humans, they may be able to breed with humans to produce offspring.

as for evolving into humans, given enough time apes could in theory do that without any artificial tinkering (allready done it once, sort of); the difference in chromosome number between humans and apes is, as far as i know, a coincidental result, not a cause of the differences between the two species.

I would like to say that I agree with iNow and would like to add that by changing a species' chromosome number in any way would usually be deleterious and that individual will most likely not be able to function any longer.

On the subject of evolution - I have read "The Beak of the Finch" and I think the most important point I drew out of that book is that just because we don't see evolution happening doesn't mean that it is not. What we need to do is observe more closely and we will see constant change within a population. An example of the change I'm talking about is that they have discovered a group of monkey's (I forget which species and where) to have started implementing learned behavior from each other. Specifically, on monkey would pick up food from the ground, cup it in its hand, and submerge it underwater to get the dirt off. Later it was observed that other monkeys within the group began to do the same thing. I think that is some evidence of evolution.

If we remove a set of chromosome from the cell of a gorilla and alow it to grow,after some evolution will it form a human?????
I don't intend to be harsh here, but this is quite a primitive logic. I mean, knowing that chromosomes are purely crucial to us, to gorillas and any other organism, the removal of them would have dramatic effect (and for bad I believe). But we always have to leave options opened (I'd support iNow here).

And if you somehow manage to come up with what you say, then you'd leave absolutely no room for creationists!:D