how to make oxygen?

huahe

huahe said in post # :

Is there an easy way to produce oxygen at home?

Yes, get some normal everyday Hydrogen Peroxide from the chemists (pharmacy) the sort used to clean wounds.

open up an ordinary zinc/carbon battery, take out the black stuff and add it to your peroxide, it will react instantly giving zillions of bubbles, they will all be pure Oxygen :)

hmm

Generally electrolosis of water ends up with H2 and an oxide. hydroxide of the electrode, providing it is more reactive than H2 but if not a OH or O of the dissolved minerals. Remember pure water dose not conduct electricity so this will always happen with impurtities.

I tried to make I and KOH with KI once, but ended up with the Al electrodes hydroxidising

• 5 months later...

I find normal Zinc/Carbon batts just as easy to get and alot less messy and gross! :))

of course the "environmentaly friendly" method would be to get a submerged pool type plant in the sunshine and capture the O2 from that under an up turned beaker :)

yes but you also might lose alot of the oxygen as well that way and its time consuming plus you wont get that much oxygen, and my method fairly enviromently friendly except for the hydrogen peroxide and you can always get a lot of liver even if it is gross

the question was:

Is there an easy way to produce oxygen at home?

and so, that IS an easy way, involves nothing complicated or dangerous, and will produce more oxygen than you`de think! I`ve done it :)

there`s no mention of scale either, thus, it`s yet ANOTHER way to produce the O2 :)

Use a lantern battery for the rods. That’s also the best way to get the MnO2.

Also the H2O2+MnO2 reaction is fun if you do it in a large flask with a rubber stopper with thin glass tube in it. It creates a nice stream of pure oxygen. Just light a match and put it over the stream and the flame resembles burning magnesium.