decrease Radius of penny

sfpublic

hello guys im doing a science experiement for a IB physics class where i have to simulate a penny dropping from a empire state building

we have a paintball gun we are using to shoot the penny 65mph (terminal velocity)

so my problem is that the penny doesnt fit into the guns barrel

IT ALMOST FITS like 2mm difference in size,

anyone have any ideas on how to decrease the diameter of the penny enough for it to fit into the barrel? im open to all ideas

If you alter the penny, don't you destroy the experiment? The experiment is to simulate a penny dropping from the empire state building. It is not about dropping a penny of reduced radius from the empire state building.

I'm genuinely unsure if this impacts velocity and impact measurements, and maybe you've already confirmed that a penny of reduced radius will not be noticably different.

Also, you could put the penny into a clamp and use an angle grinder on it.

I suppose you could get a hold of sme Maxwell pulse caps and put a 100kA though a thick Cu coil (with your coin inside) in a fraction of a second. Whew.

example (there are many, but these are the first I found):

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/coinshrinker.htm

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

I suspect that your coin shrinker would be a stronger project!

Cheers,

O3

Lichtenberg figures are cool too!

hello guys im doing a science experiement for a IB physics class where i have to simulate a penny dropping from a empire state building

we have a paintball gun we are using to shoot the penny 65mph (terminal velocity)

so my problem is that the penny doesnt fit into the guns barrel

IT ALMOST FITS like 2mm difference in size,

anyone have any ideas on how to decrease the diameter of the penny enough for it to fit into the barrel? im open to all ideas

A paintball gun is not designed to operate using coin. Failure in such devices could be mortal, so I would not mess around with it so much. If you are worried about accelerating a penny I think you could just get simulation software for that. I don’t understand why your class would want students to play around with such in the first place, more so in context of it being a homework assignment.

To be honest professionals in such a field don’t even stand in the same room when testing various systems. I know its just a paintball gun but I doubt firing coin was in the original design is all.

do none of you kids have a hand catapult? they can easily produce 65mph and more. they're not too fussy about what you fire with them either.

[edit] jeez that makes me sound old. but still, hand catapults are cool.

You mean a slingshot/wristrocket?