Have I Screwed Up My Future Pt. 2

Wanderer1084

I want to avoid a repetitive post, so I will avoid asking the questions posed in the other post with the same name. I read that over completely and now realize there is still hope. However, I need some guidance.

My story first of all. 23 years old. Highschool dropout with a GED. Extremely intelligent person who decided to be lazy and try to take the easy route. I sell cars :rolleyes:. However, I cant escape the pull of the extremely interesting world of math and science. I really want to be a physicist, an astronomer, a mathematician, something that will challenge the intelligence I was lucky enough to be born with. Maybe it just took me until the age of 23 to grow up and realize this.

I surf the internet reading articles on topics such as quantum mechanics, special relativity, atomic theory, thermodynamics.... Heavy stuff for a kid that never graduated geometry :confused:. While I can follow the first few paragraphs of most of these articles enough to know that I am dealing with things that are extremely interesting, when it comes down to the mathematic I am completely lost..... This needs to change.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

-Even though it was asked in the previous post, its not too late for me to get started on the path to a fulfilling career in something as advanced as physics?

-I am pretty good at teaching myself things. I need a complete refresher in subjects as basic as algebra. How far would you folks think I could take the self teaching in math and science? (Possible to teach yourself calculus? basic physics? etc etc....)

-I know I have no choice except to start over at a community college. If I take a year to teach myself the basics in math and science, can you test out of remedial math and science classes even if you dont have a highschool transcript showing that you took the classes?

-What are a few of the main Universities turning out todays top physicists?

-How hard is it to find fulfilling work in the field of physics? Is it a subject only the best of the best find good work in? Is it a well paying field?

Its getting late. I know I have more questions, but theres a good show on The History Channel right now about the sun. Seems like my kinda stuff, and I want to go watch.... So, I guess all Im looking for here is a bit of encouragement, a few words of wisdom, the answer to my few questions, and a few suggestions on things I may not have even asked in this post. I look forward to your answers, and will post more questions when Im not so dead tired. Thanks in advance all!

Marc:D

I think you are going to need the courses in math and science. Even if you self-taught, any grad school is going to want to see some record that you did well.

1. You could go to the bookstore of the nearest college and simply buy the textbooks for the math and intro physics courses and start reading and especially doing the problems!

2. You could do some internet searching on online courses from various colleges. I think Univ. of Arizona has a comprehensive curriculum online.

Eventually, you will have to enroll at a community college/4 year college. You need the interaction with teachers so that they can evaluate your work, and you, firsthand and write letters of recommendation for you.

As a thought, you might want to look around and see if there are research assistant positions in the physics departments at your local college/observatory.

The downside is that this is physics and not medicine or biological research. Historically, most physicists have done their best, most original, and most famous work by the time they are 30. After that it's mostly downhill as far as contributions to the cutting edge of physics is concerned. Medical, biomedical, chemical, and biological researchers continue to contribute right up to the day of their retirement and often beyond. However, physics seems to be different. At least historically.

You could try to break that historical trend but you may have a difficult time convincing a physics graduate program admissions committee that admitting you would be a good investment of time and resources on their part.

The downside is that this is physics and not medicine or biological research. Historically, most physicists have done their best, most original, and most famous work by the time they are 30. After that it's mostly downhill as far as contributions to the cutting edge of physics is concerned. Medical, biomedical, chemical, and biological researchers continue to contribute right up to the day of their retirement and often beyond. However, physics seems to be different. At least historically.

You could try to break that historical trend but you may have a difficult time convincing a physics graduate program admissions committee that admitting you would be a good investment of time and resources on their part.

Dear Lord man, he is only 23. If he puts his mind to it now, he can have his PhD by 32 (2 yrs comm college, 2 yrs at a 4 yr school and 4-5-6 years in grad school) and then have at least 40 years or more yrs of professional contributions (not even counting grad school).

Don't be discouraged. Just do it. If you don't you'll regret it.

- Agreed with DrDNA: Just go for it. Even if you don't end up becoming the world's most famous physicist for the next 500 years to come, if you manage to complete the education you will have a solid education in things that seem to interest you and at least the possibility to find a job like producing micro-chips with Intel, producing and/or designing solar cells, ... (things that, to me, sound more interesting than selling cars).

- Drop the idea of thinking you were "extremely intelligent" until your achievements reflect it.

- Rather than reading the stuff on the internet, consider buying a book or two.

- It's absolutely possible to teach yourself a lot of things. To some extent, one could even say that that is exactly what you have to do in university (although US and UK universities have the reputation to be a bit more school-like). I know people that managed to get degrees in physics and mathematics with barely ever visiting a lecture - it's not a generally-advisable approach, though.

- The fullfillingness depends on what you find fullfilling. You can have an ok life with a job as a physicist - it probably earns more than selling cars unless you happen to own the shop. If money is a prime concern, then consider going for computer science or a banking career instead.

You can do it. If you are intelligent I would recommend not adding to the common societies crap but instead do as they are recommending and go to college. It will be difficult but I think you will enjoy the challenge as well as the learning experience. You shall do fine. May you do great things with the mind God has blessed you with.

Dear Lord man, he is only 23. If he puts his mind to it now, he can have his PhD by 32 (2 yrs comm college, 2 yrs at a 4 yr school and 4-5-6 years in grad school) and then have at least 40 years or more yrs of professional contributions (not even counting grad school).

Don't be discouraged. Just do it. If you don't you'll regret it.

I never said he shouldn't do it. I only pointed out the historical record in regard to physics that major contributions have been made before the age of 30.

It doesn't mean that

1) he can't have a rewarding career teaching and doing physics.

2) he can't be the exception that tests the rule.

After all, the important thing is going for your dreams and finding a career that you enjoy.

My only concern is graduate school admissions committees for physics. In biomedical sciences, we have admitted people over 30 years old --because people in the biomedical field often make their most significant contributions in their 50s and 60s. Physics admission committees may be different -- or maybe not. No way to know until he tries.

Wanderer, Atheist has a good point: don't label yourself as "extremely intelligent". Let other people reach that conclusion based on your record. Your grades, Graduate Records Examination scores, and any research you do as an undergrad are going to be indications of your intelligence. BTW, going to classes is going to be necessary to prepare for the GRE. In Einstein's day you could get admitted to a university program based on professors knowing you. Today the GRE is an essential part of the process. Get a low GRE and you won't make it into grad school.

So attend college for 1) personal interaction with physicists and 2) classroom experience so that you will be prepared for the GRE. Just reading books by yourself isn't going to be enough for those.

- Drop the idea of thinking you were "extremely intelligent" until your achievements reflect it.

- Rather than reading the stuff on the internet, consider buying a book or two.

Agreed. Most people think they're more intelligent than the "average person" - but of course, how can everyone be smarter than the average person?

In any case, go to CC, take classes, talk to the teachers, and then see how you do.

but dont be discouraged, because, say for example, you did poorly your first semester (as I did) even if you did that you still have a chance to do better. Its all a matter of learning (and, in your case, getting used to the class room atmosphere).

Also, buying a book on certain subjects is definitly a good idea. They are typically well written and much easier to understand that certain online articles.

And for those of us who are athiest, may you do great things with the mind nature has led to within you. :)

Yup! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wanderer, wanderer, wanderer. Find a decent college/uni that you want to goto. Find out what the entrance qualifications are and then go and get those qualifications. Even ask them advice on the best route to meet their entry requirements. You'll be surprised at how helpful people are when they realise you have a genuine interest.

The main point is that you sound like the kind of guy who has spurned his opportunities. Join the club. There are very few people who haven't done this, yet they have still gone on to live fruitful lives. You keep wanting to move forward and I can assure you more opportunities will come your way.

I live in the UK so can't give you advice on schools or anything like that but I know that feeling of wanting to get into science and it seeming like it is far far away. Think about Einstein. He was working in a patent office when he realised special relativity! Lots of colleges/unis have extrance exams which when passed will grant you access.

You'll be surprised what you can do even when you aren't at college. There are mountains of books available that can give you the information you desire. The Feynman Lectures on Physics (3 vols) is an excellent resource of pertinent information that will ground you in many aspects of the physical world for example and well worth the cost. Anything you can't grasp in that you can always find supporting material that will give you different insights and help you move forward.

The bottom line is, don't give up and go for it!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't give up! (I know, corny.) You're right that it may be getting a tad late, but you've still got a shot at it. It will be hard, no doubt about that, but you need to finish highschool, go to college, grad school, and after all that, you can become a physicist.

It'd be such a waste of intelligence and dreams. You know you can do better, and I can guarantee you'll regret it if you don't head back to school.

Best of luck, sir.

Wanderer, you sound just like me a few years ago. I'm also 23 now, and it was first when I was 22 that I had the same thoughts as you are having now. BUT, my problem was that I was in the wrong study (nutrition and biochemistry). I decided at that point to finish my masters at my current study, even though I still neded over 2 years. Actually I need a little over 1½ years now, when I'm done with that I have 5 years studying physics, and perhaps a phd. after the 5 years, thats 10 years of study I have left, but really - I don't think that is a bad thing, not from my own perspective. And I surely don't see a problem with you starting now, as other people have said as well.

Alot of good suggestions have been written in this thread, if I should give one more advice it would be: Get a network! Like this forum, or people who share the same interests as you in your town. If you have a network, things will get much more easier and you will have much more fun. A network can help you, motivate you, give you advice etc. etc.

Best of luck, and buy lots of book - I just bought 7 from Amazon regarding physics.

And by the way: It is never too late to change your life!!

-Even though it was asked in the previous post, its not too late for me to get started on the path to a fulfilling career in something as advanced as physics?

Of course not. And considering lucaspa's "historical" take on when major contributions are made, I imagine that the advantage that most of those people had is that they just got started earlier. Start earlier, make your contributions earlier. Start later, make your contributions later. I imagine that actual age really has little to do with it. If you're willing to commit the time and effort, it's definitely not too late.

-I am pretty good at teaching myself things. I need a complete refresher in subjects as basic as algebra. How far would you folks think I could take the self teaching in math and science? (Possible to teach yourself calculus? basic physics? etc etc....)

I always advocate self learning in any respect. However, as Lucaspa said, you will need some kind of demonstrable record of your competency in these subjects, and going to school for it is the best way. As others have mentioned too, it will also help you adjust to the classroom atmosphere and to academia in general, which is where you will end up if you follow your goals to the end. But that most certainly doesn't mean that you can't give yourself a jumpstart, as well as amplify what you learn in class with your own outside reading.

-I know I have no choice except to start over at a community college. If I take a year to teach myself the basics in math and science, can you test out of remedial math and science classes even if you dont have a highschool transcript showing that you took the classes?

Yes, usually. Most undergrad schools start you out with basic competency tests to see where you should be placed.

-What are a few of the main Universities turning out todays top physicists?

In this case, I'm assuming you're referring to graduate studies. And when it comes to graduate studies, the name of the school isn't everything. Obviously it's nice to have a big ole prestigious school accept you, but what's most important is finding a program and an adviser that are best suited to your interests and your needs. If you want to start looking that far ahead, start reading some scholarly physics journals, and pay attention to the authors. See which ones are doing work that sounds particularly exciting and interesting to you, and when it comes time to choose a grad school, look for them.

-How hard is it to find fulfilling work in the field of physics? Is it a subject only the best of the best find good work in? Is it a well paying field?

I'm afraid I can't really help you there, because I'm in bio. But in general, if you can get a faculty position at a reasonably well-off school, you can make quite a bit of money. It just takes a long time of hard work to get to that point, and competition is always tough for such positions.