What is the difference between RNA and DNA?

aommaster

"why did more complex life arise after the swith to dna from rna?"

The essence of Evolution is further complexity, as ever more and newer mutateable items arise.

"what came first...the protein or the rna"

Obviously proteins are tools, both instructed and constructed originally by RNA, an archaic gene. As the DNA gene evolved from its RNA predecessor it took over the protein instruction function, preventing the RNA from re-DNAing by replacing its thymine with uracil, and retaining it as a tool for numerous tasks.

"how did the rna come to code for protein?"

This is The Life Big Nan Question we all seek to understand....

RNA or Riboflavicdisolenoidalnutronanaphase as it is less commonly know' date=' is an active ingreediant in the production of [i']Corvus Corax [/i]. One must not (and it is easily done) mistake RNA for DNA (as there is only one character different it may be easy for people with visualdispersive or cognoprocessal imparement to confuse the two). DNA is the brand name for the solvute used to disintegrate the eggs in Corvus production.

Hope this helps,

wow, i've skipped this thread so many times thinking that it shouldn't be this complicated to answer ( a generalization, if you will ;) ) to the diff's 'tween dna and rna, but i did not expect to find posts like this.

^ ^ ^

| | |

lol lol rofl :D

• 8 years later...

DNA is doubles stranded, while RNA is single stranded
DNA is very long and contains many genes while RNA is short.
DNA stays inside the nucleus (in eukaryotes) but RNA can be in both the nucleus and the cytoplasm.
RNA has Uracil instead of Thymine.
RNA has Ribose as a sugar while DNA has deoxyribose.
There is more RNA in a cell than DNA.
DNA molescule last longer while RNA molescules are constantly made and broken down.

http://in.docsity.com/en-docs/Eukaryotes_and_Prokaryotes_-_Cells_and_Genetics_-_Solved_Quiz_

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to clarify some of the confusion. DNA and RNA are very similar, apart from the backbone sugar (RNA has an extra hydroxyl group) and One of the bases, thymidine in DNA, is replaced by Uracil.

The hydroxyl group makes it more liable to acid-base hydrolysis

In fact, both DNA and RNA can form double helices, and other superstructures, such as hairpins, quadruplexes; triplexes ...

A lot is still not well understood, but RNA actually plays a huge role in cells and is much more than just a messenger between DNA and proteins ...