Does it look bad that I have not been in any clubs

Marconis

I want to major in biology when I go to college in a year and a half (I am a junior in high school right now). Are they going to think less of me for admissions when they see that I have not participated in any science fairs or anything. I feel like they'll be like, "This kid wants to major in a science field and he's done zero science clubs or competitions in high school, ha!" My only plus would be I am taking AP Biology next year along with physics, and finishing up chemistry this year. Oh and I cut down an invasive tree species in Wales back in 05 while on People to People...My whole view on this may be insanely irrational...I made a similar thread about a month ago on here but that was about student research.

It shouldn't be a problem at all. I never joined in any science orientated clubs in the whole time that I was in high school and the admissions department never thought any less of me.

Pretty much, many of the things they (high schools, SAT's, etc.) tell you about admissions in college is usually full of crap. They really only focus on grade trends and to some extent your personality.

Getting in is usually the easy part. It's graduating from college that really matters...

You still have an opportunity to do something over the summer. Do your research and see if there are any science-oriented summer programs in your area. (You might ask your science teachers if they know of any.) As Lockheed said, it may not be the most crucial thing ever, but it'd be a good experience and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

That's not a problem. After all, there is s huge number of experiments that you can easily try them yourself. Just explore, you'll see that it's no big deal.

After all, when you go to university you'll have the chance to experiment anyway! Just try to keep an eye to the world. It's all science itself!

Cheers!

I suspect that things like club participation is a tiebreaker for students whose grades aren't great. They want people who will be involved in campus activities. But they also want good students, and if you're a good student, that's probably more important. I did zero science fairs as a high-school student.

I suspect that things like club participation is a tiebreaker for students whose grades aren't great.

Those activities beyond the norm are essential for getting into the top-tier schools. Nearly every successful applicant to those schools had great grades in high school. An applicant needs something extra to compete with all those grade A students.

Thanks all for your replies. I appreciate it, it made me feel more at ease. Another thing...upon registering for the SAT's, my twin brother and I have received emails and letters from various colleges. As for letters, my brother has received 42, and I have only gotten 12. Is that saying something?

Thanks all for your replies. I appreciate it, it made me feel more at ease. Another thing...upon registering for the SAT's, my twin brother and I have received emails and letters from various colleges. As for letters, my brother has received 42, and I have only gotten 12. Is that saying something?

These are letters inviting you to apply? It tells me that colleges are competing for applicants more than they used to.

I won twice the national competition that offers scholarships for students, but due to my awful behavioural marks I wasn't able to get transfered to any of the colleges!:doh:
Too often young humans mistake rebelliousness for independent thinking and uninhibited spirit. The trick is to play by the system while realizing it doesn't lessen your ability to be true to yourself.

Too often young humans mistake rebelliousness for independent thinking and uninhibited spirit. The trick is to play by the system while realizing it doesn't lessen your ability to be true to yourself.

It's the system I have problems with. I feel like rules limit you and drive you to a 'get stuck' situation, and that is bad, real bad!

Or is it that I have not been considering that I may be wrong after all:eek: ?

Yes, that you're the ugly brother. :D j/k

Are your brother's grades better or worse? Did he do a lot of clubs? What did he do differently?

My brothers grades are better, but only by like .2 (I have a 3.5 GPA, he has around 3.7). He also competed in our states Ocean Sciences Bowl.

It's the system I have problems with. I feel like rules limit you and drive you to a 'get stuck' situation, and that is bad, real bad!

Or is it that I have not been considering that I may be wrong after all:eek: ?

I think you're wrong after all. ;) Rules are only limiting if you view them that way. They also provide a framework for you to plan exactly how you can be successful within them.

Rebelling may make you feel superior to the system but imagine how great it would be to *use* the system's rules to get what you really want anyway. Rebels seem glamorous but find negative consequences everywhere. You don't need to be a sheep and follow the system; be innovative and use the system to *beat* the system. Good consequences will follow.

My brothers grades are better, but only by like .2 (I have a 3.5 GPA, he has around 3.7). He also competed in our states Ocean Sciences Bowl.
That .2 represents some extra effort that admissions boards are looking for. For GPAs it's all math to them. As others have said, your brother's participation in the science bowl may have been the tie breaker if they could only send a letter to one of you.

Rebelling may make you feel superior to the system but imagine how great it would be to *use* the system's rules to get what you really want anyway. Rebels seem glamorous but find negative consequences everywhere. You don't need to be a sheep and follow the system; be innovative and use the system to *beat* the system. Good consequences will follow.

I'll give it a shot next week, to see if my OTHER plan is gonna work>:D, this time by the system!

And sadly it turns out that I have been too much influenced by this!

Or to eventually rule the world. Mwhuhahahaha! Oh, wait, that's more of a post-baccalaureate thing.