Possible Path to Major

foodchain

I am confused as to what to major in, really, I need help.

See, I want to apply quantum behavior to living systems, from an atomic through a molecular perspective. I am particularly interested in aspects of trying to define variables in terms of natural selection in a quantum perspective as it would relate to an organisms physiology down to a molecular viewpoint. When I think of biology my worldview of the subject basically houses evolution over time of energy/matter interaction or behavior, heavily in an evolutionary perspective.

For instance here is a neat study I would like to do. I would like to study phonon behavior in a comparative physiology approach between terrestrial and marine vertebrate to see if environment had any play on the evolution of the skeletal system for instance in both environments. Which I think has quite a few questions to it but such is what I generally think about more often then not in regards to scientific interest. Its not just QM I would like to use all by itself, but really pure physical processes like chemistry and thermodynamics. I also have a huge interest in microbiology.

biophysics... (although they don't like to be called that these days...)

I have spent about three hours reading about that particular field only. I am confused as to if they go out into say the field at all or very much? Also what name do they go buy typically? Thanks for they help to. I always think I am about to hit the jackpot but I cant ever really make my mind up on it, meanwhile time continues to go on:D :eek:

I probably would not be so confused over the issue but more or less I don’t want to major in something I don’t want to do a few years out of college.

A good Idea is ususally to talk to a variety of professors in the bio/chem/physics departments at the school you are attending/planning on attending. Also you must realize that careers are dynamic and you could be studying this now and that later, don't let that bother you though it is something that is almost subconcious. Also when it comes to sciences, especially physics, a lot of what you learn are tools, example: my physics professor and head of the physics departments studies biological systems, it's the physics he uses that makes him a physics professor.

Well our biophysics group like to be called the biomedical physics group...

As for going out in the field it depends on what your research is.

And yep I agree with A Fool, talking to people who work in the area is always good... And the head of our biophysics research group did his phd in some aspect of theoretical general relativity...