MCAT

blike

Is anyone else taking the MCAT on April 17th?

I'm sweating blood over it. I've been studying pretty seriously since mid-december, and doing some light reviewing before that.

For those of you who don't know, the MCAT is the Medical College Admissions Test. Its a 6 hour (!) test which covers biology1&2, physics 1&2, organic 1&2, general chemistry 1&2--along with verbal reasoning and two writing samples. It's divided into three sections--verbal reasoning, physical sciences, biological sciences. Each section is scaled out of 15 points, for a possible 45 total on the test. The average premedical student scores a 25 on the test, with the average matriculant scoring 27.

The questions are mostly passage based questions. There were only 6 or 7 standalones in the practice exam I just took.

Here's some examples:

Verbal Reasoning

Biological Sciences

Physical Sciences

Basically its the test of DOOM for any premed student.

Originally posted by aommaster

With the way u two talk about it, looks like its going to be a nightmare. I don't think i am going to do it, cause im not into medicine :)

Good luck guys!

i'm dreading the time i'll need to take mine. which isn't going to be an option for a few more years.

• 7 months later...
Is anyone else taking the MCAT on April 17th?

I'm sweating blood over it. I've been studying pretty seriously since mid-december' date=' and doing some light reviewing before that.

For those of you who don't know, the MCAT is the Medical College Admissions Test. Its a 6 hour (!) test which covers biology1&2, physics 1&2, organic 1&2, general chemistry 1&2--along with verbal reasoning and two writing samples. It's divided into three sections--verbal reasoning, physical sciences, biological sciences. Each section is scaled out of 15 points, for a possible 45 total on the test. The average premedical student scores a 25 on the test, with the average matriculant scoring 27.

The questions are mostly passage based questions. There were only 6 or 7 standalones in the practice exam I just took.

Here's some examples:

Verbal Reasoning

Biological Sciences

Physical Sciences

Basically its the test of DOOM for any premed student.

Question for Blike, I actually tried some of the MCAT samples you give. What were the answers to them anyway, so I can see how many I got correct.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll be taking mine early next year. I still haven't completed all the premed courses, and won't by the time I take the MCATs, but I've been teaching myself with several practice books and borrowed textbooks in the courses I have yet to take - can't wait to get it over with.

Good luck to everyone else taking them as well!

• 2 months later...
Just out of curiosity, how do european medical schools operate? Do they require a standardized entrance exam?

In the UK there are two exams for undergraduate medicine - UKCAT and BMAT... Some universities want UKCAT and some want the BMAT...

Sorry if this seems like a necropost, but what's the score you have to receive to pass the test?
The test isn't a pass / fail test, it simply spits out a score that medical schools use to evaluate you. A "competitive" score is considered >30 (30 is the national average for medical students, I believe).

It's funny looking back on that post at me stressing out about the MCAT. I just finished my medical boards (Step 1) two weeks ago.