controlling sleep

Kaytie11

how do you controlling your sleep pls?

i was reading the other sleep thread and they were talking about its better to stay up late...

how do u tho... like when i get tired i fall asleep where ever im at... i no cuz my room is on the 3rd floor of our house and like wen i want to stay up late with mom or somethimg i always fall asleep no mater how i try to stay awake and daddy always has to cary me to my room

but then... im up at like 5am every morning before they or my brother even wake up and i have to play with myself for like 2 hours untill they finally wake

i tried candy to and it dont keep me awake

eveyones sleeping habits differ somewhat, some are "Night people" and others are "Morning people" I`m a morning person myself, perhaps you could take advantage of these 2 hours of peace and quiet in the morning to do your Homework instead?

I tend to do my best work before noon, and things that require Mental ability are easier for me 1`st thing in the morning.

I gather from your user name that you`re 11 years old?

and so your body will be going through some pretty major changes about now, so as long you`re getting Enough sleep, you have nothing to worry about ;)

aim for at least 8 hours sleep, if you get More than that Bonus :)

Unlike YT2095 I am definitely a Night person (Owl), I will quite happily stay up till 2am, but I won't want to get out of bed until about 11am at the earliest unless I have too for work or university.

You just have to adapt your work and things around the time you are up.

As YT2095, children and teenagers are recommended to get 9 hours sleep, where as adults are recommended 8, but to be honest sleep when your tired and get up when you can't sleep anymore and you will be fine.

candy?? to stay up late i recommend energy drinks my first energy drink was in first grade and ur in 5th grade right? so get some caffine and sugar also none of my friends rly actually go to sleep till bout 1 am and they are up at 5 am and function almost normally so try energy drinks!

candy?? to stay up late i recommend energy drinks my first energy drink was in first grade and ur in 5th grade right? so get some caffine and sugar also none of my friends rly actually go to sleep till bout 1 am and they are up at 5 am and function almost normally so try energy drinks!

That's not a very good idea. Get sleep. Get exercise. Energy drinks are not so good.

I do drink tea, or the occasional espresso, but never after noon.

Sleeping a very important part of your day and of your life, everyone's life! It is that period when brain completely relaxes, is completely detached from the stressing reality around and if the brain gets the needed time to rest, then the next day you'll be fully ready for anything. There is an average of how much you usually should sleep, I think it is between 6-9! Everyone should get that time of sleep within a day.

Should you stay up late?!

Well, I see no reason for doing or not doing that, that is what your personal decision. I (and we as nerds) usually stay up late, usually till 1am. Most of the time doing maths or physics (those trigonometry damned things:doh:)! But in my case how much will I sleep depends if I have to take the bus to school or my dad will give me a lift. But on weekdays I usually get 5-6 hours of sleep, and I get no problem with that. When I'm into something (any physics experiment for school) I completely forget and it has often happened to me to stay up all night and then go to school without having a minute of sleep, and then sleep on my geography classes. I got many detentions for that and was even expelled once! NERD!!!

But despite everything, you should at least get 8 hours of sleep!

Cheers,

Shade

As a new father i can defnitely tell you that sleep is a GOOD thing and should not be wasted or frittered away. If you fall asleep, be happy that you can and wake up happy and not with a headache, droppy eyes and that feeling that the world is covered in a giant blanket

i cant drink energy drinks

my mom things ill like blow up my heart or somthing lol

i drank a amp before ballet once n like almost passed out lol

im not really aloud to drink coffee too

i heard coffee is worse for u then smoking

and its not that i dont like sleeping.. its just i wish i cud stay up late... my body dont listen to me.. it just goes to sleep without asking me

As others have said, it is especially important for young people to get their sleep. Among other things, a large chuck of your growth occurs while sleeping, so unless you like being short, you should sleep enough. Also, lack of sleep increases your stress, and that is fattening. Your body will be very mad at you if you don't sleep.

As a young adult, I've tried skimping on sleep, and I always regretted it the next day. The best way I've found to cut down on sleep is to always go to bed and wake up at regular times (whether early or late). Then my body knows when to prepare for sleep mode and when to prepare to wake up.

I've heard that it is possible to cut sleep to about 2-3 hours per day by taking 15 minute naps every two hours. However, I don't have a schedule that will allow that.

Hey Kaytie11

I'm personally a night person myself. I hate waking up early in the morning (but I hardly have a choice because of lectures :D). I usually stay up till around 3-4 AM which is when I go to bed.

I know some people (my mom, for example) who just can't stay up as late as I can. It's a natural 'body-clock' thing where the body decides (and in some cases) wants to go to sleep.

As for your age, I suggest you get plenty of sleep. As YT said previously, you're growing up, and you need the sleep. Once you're older, you'll automatically find out what kind of person you are (be it a night person, or a morning person).

Oh yeah... and keep away from smoking, energy drinks, soft drinks, and sources of caffeine... you don't need them :D

As you grow you change some habits but some are there unchanged. I love sleeping. I would slumber on my bed all day if i could help it. But, its how you want it really. I don't like to wake up too early, but at night I am very sleepy to even work but I force myself to work and waking up late at night has been worth it for me really.

Remember its how you like to mould your habits, you dictate them and don't let the opposite happen. Live healthy!

i heard coffee is worse for u then smoking

Please don't listen to them any more.

Not many (any?) legal things on this earth are worse for you than smoking.

And speaking as a former long term nicotine addict, it is VERY VERY hard to quit.

On the bright side, smokers are less of a financial burdon on society because they die early :)

On the bright side, smokers are less of a financial burdon on society because they die early :)

And require more healthcare than nonsmokers, hence they actually increase the financial burden prior to their death. ;)

One step forward, two steps back.

From your post, I'm guessing you're a night owl. Have you thought of taking advantage of the situation? Night time is a lot more quiet than Day time. Do someting constructive. Read a human body atlas, a science text book, play chess on the net, do a puzzle, or just do some math problems. You'll be surprised by how much you'll learn. I should know that's what I often do when I can't get to sleep. However if you see it more as a problem then why not try slowly sleeping just a little bit later each day until you reach the time where you're supposed to be asleep. Good luck with that by the way.

And require more healthcare than nonsmokers, hence they actually increase the financial burden prior to their death. ;)

Very recent studies suggest otherwise.

All Things Considered, February 5, 2008 · There are a lot of good reasons for people to lose weight and stop smoking — but saving money on lifetime health care costs isn't one of them, according to a study out of the Netherlands.

The researchers found that healthy people cost governments more in the long run because they live years longer: an average of 4.5 years longer than people who are obese, and seven years longer than smokers.

Economist Pieter van Baal, who led the study for the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, talks with Melissa Block about the counter-intuitive idea that a healthy lifestyle costs more in terms of health care.

Van Baal's study, "Lifetime Medical Costs of Obesity: Prevention No Cure for Increasing Health Expenditure," was published Monday in the online journal Public Library of Science-Medicine.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18711498

This is not including the savings to retirement programs like social security that the young dying unhealthy person has already paid into but will not collect.

Eat away and smoke away. You'll leave more Social Security and Medicare/Medicade $$ for me.

Very recent studies suggest otherwise.

Touche. :)

Eat away and smoke away. You'll leave more Social Security and Medicare/Medicade $$ for me.

Doesn't your comment require an implicit acceptance that Social Security and Medicare will still be there for us at all, which I think it won't? :rolleyes:

Cheers. :D

Doesn't your comment require an implicit acceptance that Social Security and Medicare will still be there for us at all, which I think it won't? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Whoopsie.

You're right.

Better to live fast and die young (or marry a rich and beautiful sturdy young woman that will take care of you in the twilight years) :)

Better to live fast and die young (or marry a rich and beautiful sturdy young woman that will take care of you in the twilight years) :)

Why limit yourself to just one? Isn't there a thread going around right now regarding mormonism? Maybe I should look at that more closely. :D