roses like if u sing to them

Kaytie11

we had to do z experiment with a controlled variable and depending and stuff..

so i picked 2 of moms roses and put one in the basement so it dint heer any noise

then i put the other in my room and sang to it in the morning and at nights

the one i sang to lived the longest

so roses like when u sing to them

Mythbusters, a show on the Discovery channel here in the states... did an episode on a similar phenomena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_2)#Talking_to_Plants

Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

It was episode 23.

However, Cap'n raises a very good point that there were too many other uncontrolled variables to make any definitive conclusion on this. Sounds like you had fun doing it, though... That's really what matters. :)

Also, is there any chance that you can write your words all the way, instead of txt spk? There are many people who read these messages on this forum who are not native english speakers, so it's really hard for them to understand what you say when you don't type the words properly. Thanks!

Might the effect of music be in vibration that it makes?

because human voise creates little variety and low volume of voice specter

classical music have larger specter but it is still creating less strong vibrations

death metal on the other hand creates most air vibration with huge specter (usually) so could the vibratione open up the stomata? because when stomata is opened more it should be easyer for plant to breathe so it should have better access to CO2...

if so then death metal should increase water dehydration

but i have no idea. i shall try the theory out :)

It all is a theory so correct if any part of it is completely wrong...

and my english is not so good. so correct me on that too :)

vibration might increase the speed at which transpiration can occur. Most of the process relies upon capillary action. Capillary action is slowed somewhat by the surface tension on the water, which often creates extra friction. If the capillary were shaken, though, it might help overcome the friction?

It seems i can imagine this fairly well but can't describe it too well. Perhaps someone else has the jargon needed

Maybe the rose in the basement was lonely and roses are actually a social being. The solitary confinement could be a huge stressor on the poor plant and eventually the lonelyness got to it and decided it wasn't worth it anymore! you monster! you let that poor thing die a lonely death! what did it do to you!

im on my cell lol

but ill try not to talk text lol

since were in such a smart people forum lol

it like kills my mom wen i text her in text speak... she is like ttyl? wuts that? lol

seriously? so you cant afford to put a second 'd' in didnt or the 'h' of wen, etc, but you can throw 'lol' at the end of every sentence (none of which having any humorous value to inspire me to laugh out lound)? notice you are making an unnecessarily addition of three letters, but mysteriously must skimp various other words out of only one?

vibration might increase the speed at which transpiration can occur. Most of the process relies upon capillary action. Capillary action is slowed somewhat by the surface tension on the water' date=' which often creates extra friction. If the capillary were shaken, though, it might help overcome the friction?[/quote']

this explanation makes the most sense to me. Since a plant has no nervous system i can see no reason why any particular musical piece would have a specifically distinctive effect. The reason that plants 'like' music must be a purely physically correlation to the vibration. Perhaps there is one note, or succession of notes, at a certain amplification, or range of volumes that would optimally benefit a plant? And being purely in physical basis (not aesthetic) these specifications would vary for different types of plants.

sorry its like habit

im sorry some peeps havnt the common sense to understand what i post...... if they havnt, then they probly cant answer my questions anyways lol

and lol just means ur happy and having fun

i dont want to sound boring and serious like some of you peeps.

science isnt meant to be boring... just condescending peeps who get irritated by imperfection get annoyed....

its like.... if a bully makes fun of u at school. hes only doing it to make him feel better then you... the truely cool kids dont need to make fun of anyone to reassure them selves there cool

im not talking in text btw...

ths s tlkng n txt. f i tlkd like ths i cn nderstand y u wud b mad @ me but u dnt need 2 b so picky.

im just typing on my cell and its super hard to type this much

im just typing on my cell and its super hard to type this much

The only time I use text speak is only if I'm in a hurry and have to type something fast. It is not particularly hard to type proper sentences, it just takes longer.