Diaphragm Cell Electrolysis NaCl

frosch45

When seaparating NaCl in water using Diaphragm Cell Electrolysis, a semi-permiable filter is used to prevent the mixing of products.

An animation is here...

http://www.eurochlor.org/animations/diaphragm-cell.asp

My question is what is this Diaphragm made of? Is there any way that I could make one myself or would just like a regular coffee filter work or could I get one somewhere else?

I would appreciate the help.

I made one many years ago using various animal membranes. The easiest to obtain, and least messy, was fish skin. That is one of the main purposes of fish skin.

The skin of freshwater fish is designed to prevent salts leaching out, and the skin of saltwater fish to prevent excess salt entering its body. The tricky bit, once you have been to the fishmonger and skinned your fish, is physically fixing it between your liquids.

I made one many years ago using various animal membranes. The easiest to obtain, and least messy, was fish skin. That is one of the main purposes of fish skin.

The skin of freshwater fish is designed to prevent salts leaching out, and the skin of saltwater fish to prevent excess salt entering its body. The tricky bit, once you have been to the fishmonger and skinned your fish, is physically fixing it between your liquids.

so How did You do it then, and have you got any pictures to show this?

The easiest way, for experimental purposes, was to stretch the skin over a jar of either the fresh or salt water, secure with an elastic band, then immerse it in a container of the other liquid. Easy to experiment with different membranes this way.

Pressure, yes. The skin might burst before the band gave way. The next stage might be to use a plastic bottle, bottom cut off with skin banded over it, then tubing tight fitted to hole in screw cap, draining into receiving container. ( assuming the salt solution will always do the volumatic expansion). After that, it is lab tech experimental ingenuity using whatever equipment comes to hand

Apologies.

It appears I have not paid due attention to the three types of osmosis. (natural, reverse, and electro). "natural" membranes are probably only suitable for natural osmosis, possibly for electro, but unsuitable for the high pressures required for reverse. Sorry.