Deja Vu!

blike

Remember that without absolute proof things can still be good science with "scientific consensus" There are many things we take for valid at the moment that are backed by good argument and indicators. Especially in the science of the mind.

Evolution and black holes were psuedoscience until "scientific consensus".

Thats why I like this forum, even though some bonehead is thinking Gods talking to him through his toaster and this is where he'll share that revelation. The good with the bad.

Just aman

P.S. unplug the toaster:-p

As far as I remember, Deja Vu is thought to occur when input from the sensory short-term memory (STM) undergoes processing prior to being laid down in long-term memory (LTM), but is then accidentally recalled. This results in the feeling of 'remembering' the situation, even though you may never have been in that situation before.

Deja Vu is a common phenomenon in people suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy, where the generator loci (areas of unstable cells in which the seizures originate) are situated in the medial tempoaral lobe. The condition affects the hippocampus and amygdala (both associated with memory processing). The hippocampus doesn't store memories per se, but is best thought of as a kind of 'printing press' which 'formats' the information for LTM storage. As incoming information from the STM is processed, the aberrant firing of cells in the medial temporal lobe results in this information being sent back into STM as opposed to being laid down in LTM, but it contains the LTM 'tag' as it were. Thus it generates the feeling that it is being recalled from the past, even though it has only just been processed by the short-term memory (11-15 seconds).

Not particularly short, but largely to the point. I hope it helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Glider, but I set on a quest a few years ago to prove to myself the truths of Deja Vu. Most of my Deja Vu's were accidently triggered memories that were well...not memories but I started to record my dreams the second I woke up every day so I won't forget anything. I set the happenings up in a list to see which will occur.

Then some of the incidents started to happen, which I believe would be about a chance of 1/100 (uneducated estimate)because of the general probability of something to happen., For example the probability of seeing to men walking down the street with one wearing a Laker's hat and another wearing a red T-shirt is about 1/100 considering 11 other Deja Vu dreams didn't happen.

In conclusion I don't believe we have any ability to predict the future, but amongst the thousands of dreams we have every night, I think we have a very lucky selective brain that doesn't dump some after you are awake....luck :D

• 2 months later...

Holla to Solja, nice we got a hiphopper representing in the science forums. Yeah deja vu is weird, its one of those phenomenons that provokes you to believe in something beyond, I've kinda lost the energy for that sort of thing in my life.

Actually I've had a few experiences that go beyond deja vu, like dreaming something and it seeing it later occur. Its happened to to me twice, I had earlier envisioned places. Nothing of any significance happened there far as I know of, just dreamed them before ever going there then later found it.

• 1 month later...

Although i dont believe in seeing into the future, in my experience deja vu seems to be the fullfillment of usually unconcious perceptions. Occasionally mine have been concious. Have you ever had a dream and then later had the exact experience? All of mine have been as far as i know insignificant---- one was a type of historic museum, one was a welding wearhouse, one was a unique garden in britan, one was a park (this one may have been coincidence). Those are my experiences of places i visit in dreams then later found in life. The other day i was having dinner with my grandma and her friends (i had not planned on it, they were at the same food place I went) and this lady said something that immediatly connected me to a dream i remember having, but obviously not solidly remembered as insignificant. I cant even remember what she was talking about but i know it connected. My friend was at scout camp when walking on trail behind two boys he overheard their conversation

Several years ago, I dreamed that I was sitting in my room, chatting on my computer, and my mother came home from a vacation to South Carolina and braught me 2 envelopes, one of confederate money and one of yankee money.. and a silver dollar from the era.. ya it was a strange dream, which is why I remembered it vivedly.. well about a year or so later.. it actualy happend.. this kinda thing had happend before, but was so vivid I couldent be sure, but this time was hard evidence. No I didnt tell her about my dream either. So what does this mean?

also, I have found that many deja vu experience start with a common factor that you had dreamed.. for me it usualy happens with a sneeze.. then it triggers the memory.. actualy, it has saved me from getting into many fights.. because I knew the outcome and changed what led up to it. STRANGE! :eek:

• 5 years later...

i used to get a lot of deja vu experiences and i used to have a lot of vivid dreams. often in my dreams i could relate some of the symbolism to the my life at that time and could decipher and read my dreams as premonitions of my future. i believed at that time that my experiences of deja vu where due to me dreaming the actual event and then forgetting the dream until the moment when i experience the event and had the deja vu feeling.