have i screwed up my future?

Popestar

I'm glad to hear you're still motivated!

It's true about the school grades, nobody ever asked about those again after I finished (so: it's the same in the Netherlands as in the US). First it seemed the most important thing in the world, less than 3 months later, I had all but forgotten about those grades. It's a bit strange actually, come to think of it.

Funny is that right now I'm working, and the same goes for my university grades... work experience seems the thing that really counts (and since you're only 17, really, there is no way that you have screwed up chances for work experience yet).

how can i ever raise a 1.3 gpa up to 3.0+ in 1.5 years left of highschool and 2 years of community college...is that even possible??? i know i can get strait A's, but i dont know if i can raise my average high enough

Popestar, you can't raise your overall high school GPA very high. But what we are saying is: it doesn't matter. What matters is showing that there is a clean break between the bad grades and the good grades. It is important that your GPA for the last 1.5 years is > 3.0.

Also, your community college GPA is completely separate from your high school GPA. You start from scratch. So you have an opportunity to have a VERY high GPA in community college and your 4 year college. And THAT GPA is going to be what medical schools look at. They are not going to look at your high school grades at all!

how can i ever raise a 1.3 gpa up to 3.0+ in 1.5 years left of highschool and 2 years of community college...is that even possible??? i know i can get strait A's, but i dont know if i can raise my average high enough
Your GPA starts over in college. Just get your high school diploma and start fresh. Congrats on your grades, btw.

My friend there is nothing else then to suggest you to work hard. Allah in Quran has stated: "What thy will seek is that thy will get". God has promised success if your intentions are pure and you are working exceedingly hard. Do both and leave it to God.

You will become a physician I bet!

Good Luck!

Look on the bright side. At least you don't have a quota set against you on the colour of your skin. Here in South Africa its very hard to get in if you are a pale male, but that's not the point. The point is that you have no other hurdles to overcome other than lifting your grades and doing the right volunteer work.

I didn't do amazingly well in high school (C average), so of course i thought i couldn't get in. So i went and started studying psychology instead (BORING!).

Have to say at this point that my marks sored once i got out of school and was working for myself. (That's the key, work for yourself, even while in school, not because you have to work to keep others happy). After a bit i switched to a Bachelor of Science. Graduated and applied but still didn't get in. Did my honours, applied and got rejected again. Now i'm doing a Masters in Medical Entomolgy, probably going to bump it up to a PhD. After that i'll apply again. (Won't they look stupid to reject a Doctor, hey).

Basically you may not get to where you want to get immediately but there are different routes, and you will mature as you go along, making you better suited for your dream.

Don't give up the faith

I understand your situation very well; I want to one day become a doctor as well. I've started studying the basics to it, memorising some medical terms and the kind of stuff you read off textbooks. From doing this I have a slightly more than average knowledge of the subject biology or anything that revolves the human body towards my peers. However, my other subjects remain average and do not stand out as much. As long as you have motivation, ambitions, goals you will probably get to the place you want to be. Make this a time where you put your act together and aim for something you want. Don't waste any more time. You're still young (like me), and at this stage you can choose to be anything you want as long as you are prepared to spend hours studying. And this is coming from a brutally honest person. You will also need a peaceful learning environment to succeed, not an abusive household; this may be your greatest barrier! Good luck.

I had a friend who got into Medical School at 37 after a Biochemistry degree and working in that field for some years.

I also met another guy who was a surgeon but got Parkinson's Disease, so he started Law at 55 and practised Law until he was 75!

Hey there. I definatly share the feelings you had at the beginning of the post wondering if you had screwed up your future.... Funny that the top post in this forum was exactly the same question I signed up here to ask. But, as my situation is slightly different/worse than your own, I will be starting a seperate post rather than continuing here. I hope I dont annoy anyone with a somewhat repetitive post..... See "Have I Screwed Up My Future Pt. 2" for more :)

• 3 months later...
Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool

Don't sweat it! You've got plenty of time to pull your ship around. I goofed around like crazy in high school, but really pulled in the reigns in college. I just did excellent on my MCAT and will be attending med school in the fall of 2009. You, my friend, will be fine!!!!

• 3 years later...

Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool...as in, ive failed a few classes, and i averaged Ds and Cs........it was mainly because of an abusive houshold situation and drug problem i have pulled out of finally...

i really want to be a doctor more then anything in the world and i would do anything i can to become one....my parents tell me i will never become one because of my past grades, and same with my friends. i havnt spoken to my councilor but i am assuming that she well either say i can or cant, without giving me much help...

i need to know the brutally honest truth, is there any way to pull back from my screwing up in highschool and actually have a chance at becoming a physician..or should i just give up on my dreams now and look for another thing to do...please, please this is not a joke, i really dont know where else to find answers at this point....i dont feel like anyone could really be honest with me but a complete stranger.

please and thank you.

Trust me on this one, friend. You cannot go wrong from here on out as long as you emphasize your strengths and

keep in mind that you are the only one who can say whether or not you succeed. Your actions from here on out will determine whether or not you

obtain your goals in life. Select the best school in terms of a pre-med program, get positive references and letters of recommendation from whomever you can,

either from high school or otherwise, and go for it! Make sure that the university you attend has an accredited program, has a good academic reputation, and can

help set you up with internships / residencies in your field of study.

Have fun while at university, but please do not squander the time you have there on second-guessing yourself, partying too much (every weekend), or

letting your problems in the past catch up with you and threaten your sense of self-esteem and well-being. Carefully consider who you are roommates with and

strive to have only roommates who fit your personality and who can bring something to your life, instead of taking away from it. Don't let negativity and self-doubt

creep into your mind for long, as both have a tendency to stay there if you let it. Don't put off whatever you want to do in life, just go out and do it as soon as you can

because when you are looking back on your 20's you should have few regrets, if any.

Study hard, learn whatever you need to to succeed, and never forget why you are at university in the first place! High school is the gateway to college; if you had

a few poor grades in high school, they will not go on your permanent academic record after you graduate from a university. The only record that matters is the one

you create after high school. As a Computer Science graduate, I consider myself as having two GPAs from college; one GPA is the one that matters to me the most, and that's

my CS program GPA. I graduated with a 3.33 CS GPA and a 2.77 overall GPA. What happened? Nobody told me what I just told you in the above paragraphs, so I had to

find out for myself the hard way. Please, from the bottom of my heart, take these words seriously and don't let arrogance or pride get in the way of you doing well in your

non-program classes, such as General Education classes and classes for any minors you want to take. If you don't like the class, try to choose another one or just slug through it.

Never lose sight of what you want to accomplish in your life, and where you have been. Knowing that you could have taken a much worse path in life

is a huge motivator to move forward in a positive direction, from the first day of freshman year to your first day at your first job in your career as a physician, and beyond.

Good luck to you. I can't go back and do it all over again at 17 myself, but I can help others who stand where I stood to understand what they need to do, and not to do.

As a father of two at the age of 31, I sometimes wish I could go back and change some critical events while I was at university, but I only have my future to work with.

To answer your initial question directly, you certainly did not screw up your future! You're only 17 right now. You have a long, fulfilling future ahead of you. 8^)

That is a little dreamy, IMO. Not everyone can become a doctor. Certainly, if you have the potential and you put forth effort and be nice to some influential people, many things are possible.

Always have a plan B in the back of your mind. If you can't make it into a Med school, maybe nursing or something else will work. Life should not be looked upon as a sport. If you do your best and fail, you are not just a loser. You just need to find another path that might not look as pretty, but might be the best one after all.

Keep in mind I am not saying to not try or that you cannot make it. Just that not everyone can be what they dream to be and that it is not a travesty to find something else.

This is the first thing that I thought of, because I know of Doctors that went into Nursing first and did very well at Nursing, all of which was transferable to becoming an MD. The actually did an "end run" around the competition where they would not have otherwise been accepted. It did take them longer to get to the same point, but at that point they were more well rounded in many aspects and if I remember it correctly they had less debt from being able to work as a Nurse.

• 3 weeks later...

If somebody wants to enter into health care field then medicine is not the only option. I've seen many students who deliberately enter into medicines, not knowing whether they want this career or not. Their low results then gradually make them understand that they are not meant for medicine.

A similar thing happened with one of my friend. When she realized that she wants something other than medicine, she had already wasted 3 years. At that time it was very difficult for her to switch career and again waste few more years. Then she thought of online education. She got information about some very good colleges offering online education. She was interested in medical tools and testing blood and all, so she opted the medical lab technician course.

The best thing is that she only needs 2 years to complete her course that to online, means she can engage herself in any other course or any job side ways also. Now she is quite comfortable with the new career. So I would suggest that if anybody wants to start a career or wants to change an existing career then online education is the best way. The following site would give you information about the career in medical lab technician.

http://medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-careers-and-jobs/

I hope the above site is going to help all the forum members.

Unfortunately, there is such thing as screwing up and bad choices. Bad situations and bad behaviors do have consequences.

If you have been arrested charged or even investigated for narcotics crimes, getting a license to prescribe narcotics will not happen. This is a crucial part of being a doctor. No hospital in the USA could afford the malpractice costs of a former drug user writing prescriptions even if the license could be acquired.

Depending on what you have done and what you have been caught doing through credible criminal investigation, any attempt to build a career in medicine may be hindered or blocked.

Life sometimes seems unfair and becoming a doctor does require a squeaky clean life from an early age. Their are many good careers and great opportunities that are available to you though all the techniques discussed. Rather than setting your self up for more failure, it might be better to take a realistic view of your current opportunities and try something within the scope of your abilities and qualifications.

If you would be reluctant to take your sick child to a person of your description for care, you should consider a different path. Collegiate Independent Study has an advanced independent studies program in medical science that far exceeds the programs found in universities but is designed for drop outs who want to become medical science experts. This program will never lead to a person becoming a doctor but their are many jobs in medical science that do not involve treating patients or prescribing narcotics.

The Collegiate Independent Study programs are free of charge and use materials from the National Medical Library freely available on line.

You do not need a good grade point average. The program is open to all without restriction. It takes 5 years minimum and some people require up to 10 years to complete. Sign up at http://med.freeopenu.org and get started. If their is high school content you need to learn, they will provide it for you.

Edited by CollegiateIndependentStudy

Hi, im 17 years old and the only thing i want in life is to be a doctor, a physician...the thing is ive basically screwed up my first few years of highscool...as in, ive failed a few classes, and i averaged Ds and Cs........it was mainly because of an abusive houshold situation and drug problem i have pulled out of finally...

i really want to be a doctor more then anything in the world and i would do anything i can to become one....my parents tell me i will never become one because of my past grades, and same with my friends. i havnt spoken to my councilor but i am assuming that she well either say i can or cant, without giving me much help...

i need to know the brutally honest truth, is there any way to pull back from my screwing up in highschool and actually have a chance at becoming a physician..or should i just give up on my dreams now and look for another thing to do...please, please this is not a joke, i really dont know where else to find answers at this point....i dont feel like anyone could really be honest with me but a complete stranger.

please and thank you.

You do need to show some intelligence, but more than that, you need to show initiative. Colleges need to know if your passion or drive is strong enough to do the work. Most people try and take care of this in high-school when they are planning for the future, but if you do volunteer work and work other jobs and maybe develope some skills from hobbies, colleges will see that despite your failed classes or poor grades.

If I remember correctly, even Einstein did pretty crummy in highschool. He even flunked out of it.

I don't need to know you personally to tell you these things anyway.

Edited by questionposter

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to you. I would suggest getting in to a community college that has a transfer agreement with a major university that you'd like to attend.

You can drop out of high school and go directly to a GED, and that would get rid of your HS GPA for sure. This is something you'd want to do with the advice of a good guidance counsler.

From my perspective,

if you get a GED, then study up and ace the SATs you can then go to a decent community college or maybe even get directly into a 4 year school if they will take your GED/SAT in lieu of your HS transcripts and let you in.

If you have to go to community college and you want to be a doctor here is what I suggest. Take all of the calculus I-III, Engineering physics I-II, general chemistry I-II, labs, organic chemistry I-II with lab (if you can get that at the community college), biology I-II with labs, Anatomy and physiology I-II.

Then when you get to University so long as you major in a science and mind your GPA in both community college and University you should be fine.

Med schools care a lot about having done undergraduate research, so make sure you do research with at least two different labs. Major in Biochemistry, Biology, or Chemistry instead of premed, and try to get in some extra curricular activities and/or volunteer work. Letters of recommendation mean a lot and so do interviews.

You're life isn't over until it's over, and if you aim high and fall short of your dreams then you can still pick up the pieces and have a good life if you've aimed high enough. I wanted to be an astronaut. During undergrad, I worked as a private jet pilot and a helicopter pilot for my dad's company. I really thought I had a chance because I started college really early and got multiple degrees in chemistry/physics/ and engineering. Then I got injured on my motorcycle and I knew I would never stand a chance of being an astronaut.... I am a research chemist now. I never got a chance to even try to be an astronaut, and I almost lost my 1st class medical and my civilian ATP 2 years after I got it. :(

I worked on getting out of HS early and becoming a pilot at 16. Had this planned from when I was a little kid, and then life happened. So, even if you do everything right you can get a curve ball..

In your case, you're still young and you know your grades are not a sign of your ability or your intelligence when you're in a bad situation. Just do your best and don't let anybody else tell you that you can't be a doctor if that is what you want to be. It might be harder for you, but harder doesn't mean impossible. If you do find that you're a little behind because of your environment - then take classes slower - go part time - and if you can get a tutor. Even if you are not struggling - it might be easier to get a tutor if you don't have the same amount of free quiet time to study as other kids in normal environments.

Best of luck, and keep your head up. All you can do is your best, and I am not convinced that you can't be a doctor just because of your HS grades.

Cheers.