Router as Virus Protection

foodchain

I was just wondering about the use of an integrated circuit and or software used as virus protection in a router. I have thought about as a good means of virus protection more so if you had two different ones going combined with any system anti-virus software.

What is your question?

As far as I know, just about every router has a built in hardware firewall. If you combine this with a good software firewall, it should stop the script kiddies from gaining access to your pc and will probably trojans from downloading more viruses.

The best way to protect yourself is to act smart. Don't open suspicious files or e-mails and stay away from sketchy websites.

Yes, but then you just encrypt a virus and then you get around your hardware string-searching AV.

Routers include a fairly basic hardware firewall, although a software one is still necessary on top of the router's one. As for AVs, software is the way to go.

Yes, but then you just encrypt a virus and then you get around your hardware string-searching AV.

you should, at least, be able to spot simple html/css that trys to exploit browser vulnerabilities.

as for encrypting, the decrypter generally has to be included in the package and unencrypted, and afaik very few viruses exist that have truly polymorphic decrypters (i.e., that would be able to bypass router-AV-scanning consistantly).

Viruses are obviously for free... And the fact that lots of computers are infected with rather smart viruses, the success of things like the stormbot and all kinds of scams must mean that quite a few people are working in the field of virus creation. I don't pay them in any way, and no money is transferred from my bank account to these people.

So, then why is the anti-virus still so expensive? I get the feeling that anti-virus software companies are fighting each other rather than the viruses. It's like two surgeons fighting each other over who can operate the patient. Doesn't make any sense. :confused:

As for routers, with the invention of wireless routers I think networks have become less safe rather than more safe. Do router-viruses exist already? Should exist, since routers contain software which can be updated.

So, then why is the anti-virus still so expensive? I get the feeling that anti-virus software companies are fighting each other rather than the viruses. It's like two surgeons fighting each other over who can operate the patient. Doesn't make any sense. :confused:

If you are a home user, there is no need to pay for an anti-virus; there are plenty of industry leaders who offer a free single user license. The only people who should need to be paying for licenses these days are business and other groups.

As for routers, with the invention of wireless routers I think networks have become less safe rather than more safe.

This is a matter of user ignorance, and not one of the technology itself. Router manufacturers are getting better at educating their customers if my experiences are anything to go by (anecdotal I know, but the difference between now and 5 years ago really is that noticeable).

Do router-viruses exist already? Should exist, since routers contain software which can be updated.

Not that I know of. That is not really what is under discussion here - the OP is asking about anti-virus protection on routers as a first line of defence for the computers connected to it.

wireless can be perfectly safe, WPA2 encryption makes all the difference. and the number of encrypted networks showing up is increasing all the time.

routers are very rarely set to be able to update over an external connection(by default never) and there isn't much to a router so the possible flaws are few and far between.