Series of basic questions on microscopes

CrazCo

We had a 100 questions about microscopes and there are some I am unsure about or I don't know. I will provide my guesses so you know I atleast tried to complete this, I just want to know if they're wrong or right and if wrong what the right answer would be. Thanks ! ;)

These questions are all regarding Light Compound Microscopes

Q: Under which magnification (low, medium or high) is an image brought closest to the eye.

A: High (guessing but I want to be 100% sure)

Q: Which magnification would be best suited for scanning several objects?

A: Low

Q: Which magnification provides the widest angle of view?

A: Low

Q: Why is it easier to locate objects using low power magnification rather than high?

A: Low is less zoomed in giving it a larger area of focus.

Q: Why is it good to center a specimen in the field of view before switching to high power?

A: High power is hard to detect a whole object due to how far it zooms in so it'd be easier on the low power.

Q: If you were trying to measure the diameter of a very small specimen which magnification would you use?

A: High because if it was very small you would need the highest magnification to clearly examine it.

Q: Explain why microscopes are stores with the low power lens in position.

A: It is the most commonly used and it is used to center objects for other magnifications.

Q: Why should the coarse adjustment focus not be used with a high or medium power lens?

A: :confused: Maybe because it is so zoomed in that you can't properly make out the specimen so you may raise the stage so high it hits the lens.

Q: A thicker lens is necessary for greater magnification, but results in a loss of resolving power. Explain why resolving power decreases as the thickness of the lens increases.

A: :confused: Maybe because the more zoomed in the harder it is to view specimens.

Q: Why is the microscope called a compound microscope?

A: It has a combination of magnification lenses.

Q: How do you determine total magnification?

A: No Clue

Q: What is the total magnification of the specimen when you str looking through each of the objective lenses on your microscope?

A: No clue

Q: Why is the built in pointer a useful feature of the microscope?

A: It indicates the center ?? :confused:

Q: Why are micrometers rather than milimeters used for microscopic measurements?

A: Milimeters are not accurate enough and too big.

Q: Why is the field of view brighter under low power?

A: You zoom in less far enabling more light to enter your field of view?

Q: A person switches from low to the high power objective lens of a microscope. The object being viewed disappears, even after careful focusing. Indicate why the object cannot be seen and suggest a technique that would help eliminate this problem.

A: No clue :(

Q: An oil immersion lens is often used to view very tiny objects. If an oil immersion lens has a magnifcation of 100x, calculate it's field of view.

A: We didn't learn this material, ugh, don't know.

Q: A correcting lens can be placed into the microscope to make objects appear in their normal (non-reversed) position. Suggest what reasons why the would be useful.

A: - Easier to position the slide. (Don't know any more)

Q: Why is it important to measure the size of the microscopic objects?

A: No clue :confused:

If you can answer or correct one, two or any amount I will bow in your presence. ;)

"Q: Explain why microscopes are stores with the low power lens in position.

A: It is the most commonly used and it is used to center objects for other magnifications."

there is Better reason it`s stored this way, and it`s it`s to do with possible Damage.

can you think of a way to crack a slide with the longer high power lenses, and could you do this with the low power one?

We had a 100 questions about microscopes and there are some I am unsure about or I don't know. I will provide my guesses so you know I atleast tried to complete this, I just want to know if they're wrong or right and if wrong what the right answer would be. Thanks ! ;)

These questions are all regarding Light Compound Microscopes

1. Under which magnification (low, medium or high) is an image brought closest to the eye.

A: High (guessing but I want to be 100% sure)

2. A thicker lens is necessary for greater magnification, but results in a loss of resolving power. Explain why resolving power decreases as the thickness of the lens increases.

A: :confused: Maybe because the more zoomed in the harder it is to view specimens.

3. How do you determine total magnification?

A: No Clue

4. What is the total magnification of the specimen when you str looking through each of the objective lenses on your microscope?

A: No clue

5. Why is the built in pointer a useful feature of the microscope?

A: It indicates the center ?? :confused:

6. A person switches from low to the high power objective lens of a microscope. The object being viewed disappears, even after careful focusing. Indicate why the object cannot be seen and suggest a technique that would help eliminate this problem.

A: No clue :(

7. An oil immersion lens is often used to view very tiny objects. If an oil immersion lens has a magnifcation of 100x, calculate it's field of view.

A: We didn't learn this material, ugh, don't know.

8. Why is it important to measure the size of the microscopic objects?

A: No clue :confused:

If you can answer or correct one, two or any amount I will bow in your presence. ;)

1. Well this one im not sure about it seems like a trick question because the specimen doesnt change height its just the length of the lense that changes.

2. With a thicker lense the light has more material to pass through and is difracted farther so the light is less focused.

3. Total magnification is the power of the objective lense multiplied by the power of the viewing lense.

4. Just perform the function for each of the lense' as described in number 3.

5. It is also fixed to the microscope so it doesnt have to be held in place.

6. The light source power is too high and the light is obscuring the object just turn the light down;)

7. um....ya used to know sorry been a little while since micro

8. Wow....this one is kinda subjective....but measurement will help you to identify the object and in case you discover something new will help others to identify it.

number 5 has a more more Practical answer than the Obvious, it allows you to set a slide up pointing to an item of interest that you may then share with another viewer and they will know where you are looking.

(ever tried to explain that to someone when only one can look at a time?)

Ahhh! Thanks again! :D

Q: A correcting lens can be placed into the microscope to make objects appear in their normal (non-reversed) position. Suggest what reasons why the would be useful.

Anyone know anymore for this one? =/

Bump for more help :D

1. Well this one im not sure about it seems like a trick question because the specimen doesnt change height its just the length of the lense that changes.

It says image, not specimen.

Ahhh! Thanks again! :D

Anyone know anymore for this one? =/

Bump for more help :D

I'd say the obvious answer is that it shows things how they really are. Most people assume that a microscope shows things the right way round.