SFN Blogs Opened

Cap'n Refsmmat

• 4 months later...

Getting an error when I try and upload a picture

"Unable to create directory /www/blogs.scienceforums.net/html/wp-content/blogs.dir/21/files//2009/02. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I do not have the privileges to have a blog I guess, might I ask why?

Post 1 has the key

The blog system is fully integrated with SFN, so all current members with more than 50 posts and one month of membership on SFN can sign up for a blog.

• 1 month later...

I've opened up a blog as well (was getting frustrated trying to be objective all the time on this forum - need to vent some excess pressure sometimes).

But, I cannot make any categories, and I cannot approve of comments. The error simply says "You do not have permission to do that."

Any ideas what's going on there?

In addition, on the Wordpress main webpage, there is a download button. Should I download something? I managed to make 4 posts and do a lot of stuff without downloading anything!

Making blogs seems to be harder than designing chemical factories!

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I've opened up a blog as well (was getting frustrated trying to be objective all the time on this forum - need to vent some excess pressure sometimes).

But, I cannot make any categories, and I cannot approve of comments. The error simply says "You do not have permission to do that."

Any ideas what's going on there?

In addition, on the Wordpress main webpage, there is a download button. Should I download something? I managed to make 4 posts and do a lot of stuff without downloading anything!

Making blogs seems to be harder than designing chemical factories!

hmm - approving comments seems to work when I do it as a "bulk action". I'm glad this is solved.

The biggest problem was that I pissed off my only two readers when I never approved their comments. :)

Hurk. There appears to be some trouble with the WordPress integration then. Can you still tag posts with tags you make up?

And where is this download link you speak of? That worries me a little.

The download button is found here.

I reach that url when I click on the "wordpress" link on my own blog. I haven't put that link there.

When inserting a link in my last post, it kept giving me a "nothing found here" message when I went to check to make sure it was working. You do use the link tab for this, correct? Am not sure if I am doing something wrong, I have no trouble with links on the forum and the address works fine otherwise, or if it is wordpress. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

The download button is found here.

I reach that url when I click on the "wordpress" link on my own blog. I haven't put that link there.

Ah! No, you don't need to do anything with that. WordPress is the blogging software we use; you'd hit Download there if you wanted to download a copy of the software for yourself. But we already have it installed and set up here.

When inserting a link in my last post, it kept giving me a "nothing found here" message when I went to check to make sure it was working. You do use the link tab for this, correct? Am not sure if I am doing something wrong, I have no trouble with links on the forum and the address works fine otherwise, or if it is wordpress. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Did you make sure to include the http:// part of the link when inserting it?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What version of Wordpress is this using? I'd happily transfer my blog over (presuming programming counts as science enough) but I've been posting daily for just over a month now on Blogger and I'm finding that only Wordpress 2.2 and above can import from the current Blogger.

Cool. I've got some work to do for school, but I'll probably work on transferring it over tonight. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

The importing of my blog was quick and painless. Only complaint is that it imported my tags as categories :doh:.

That said, I'm liking the features I didn't know I didn't have, and I'll be able to change from categories to tags in the near future. Thanks, SFN!

• 2 weeks later...