Reputation!

ChemSiddiqui

Also, the numerical counter that we've been discussing for eight pages. That as well.

No need to get snarky! :D :D :D

I am well aware of the reputation points and how they are awarded, both positively and negatively.

I was rather making a philosophical musing, that maybe a point system is not always the best way to gauge one's "reputation" on a website (it was intended for those who are unhappy with their reputation points).

Perhaps instead, I should have resurrected and added this to one of the whinging, "Why am I getting negative reputation points?" that litter the lounge and the suggestions forum or even have started my own thread on it. However, since this is a pinned thread about reputation and the point system, I thought that this was the most appropriate place.

Did I err in my judgement? :unsure:

I don't think the amount of attention recivied can really be correllated to a positive reception. Good answers don't really need to be expanded on, whereas terrible answers warrant a quick rebuttal and that'll usually be dealt with by more than one member. The counter doesn't just serve the individual either, it's also a pretty handy method for newbies who want to work out who is worth listening to - like a sort of peer approved version of the Resident Experts scheme.

Well yeah, high repuation is fairly ambiguos - but it's usually pretty clear what a very low repuation means.

Not entirely. For example, cypress is a helpful chemist, but also creationist and global warming denier. Just the balance of reputation doesn't really tell you that sort of thing.

The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that there used to be a lot of information in the reputation. Now, it's much more limited.

For the receiver: find out which exact posts were received well, which are considered bad, and why.

We do not get that feedback now - we just get the net-difference. To find out actual rep, we have to go through all our previous posts.

For the giver: there used to be the option to explain why we give rep points (in a little text box).

For the other forum members: the little green boxes used to show the rep of a member. Now, I cannot find that anywhere... and you actually have to go into someone's profile (and it's just not worth the time to go into a profile for something as unimportant as the reputation).

I notice that a strong opinion on the politics forum gets significantly more rep than a good post on any of the science sub forums.

I notice that a strong opinion on the politics forum gets significantly more rep than a good post on any of the science sub forums.

That's because someone who posts an opinion that matches mine must clearly be of superior intelligence and deserving of positive rep! :D