Making exciting chemicals

ed84c

YT2095 said in post #13 :

I`m fairly sure that PH for fish tanks is Sulfamic acid, not sulphuric.

and sulphuric that you can get is only 1% or less and it`s full of detergents.

battery acid or bust! :)

I Have fish tank and I had a bottle from a few years ago and it listed sulfuric on bottle. I tried it a while ago and it worked fine. I had to buy more because I used it all and the new bottle does not list what it is.

• 4 months later...
I just hope no one on this site thinks of me as a good 4 nothing teenager, lol, then again, Im paraniod.

Wow! where have you dug this old thread up from? it was something I would rather let it be. That remark you maind molecular man; did you make it or are you taking the micky of something I have said; becuase I have said such around this time.

lol, no I was just looking through the threads, and I came across this one. I didnt read through all the way, but that remark about good 4 nothing teenagers kinda scared me. There seems to be this delusion that all teenagers have no cerebral cortex, and are completely insane. I myslef have been this insane all my life. :) So I just hope that no one would ever see me as a regular, hormonally inbalanced, whacked out, teen. lol

Guest Jord0

i know im being a baaaaad little boy telling a 14 year old kid how to get clhorine gas but doesnt brakefliud and granulated pool clorine liberate the gas as well as exploding?

it can do, but there`s easier ways :)

[edit] against my better judgement, if you REALLY want to make chlorine as cheaply as possible, buy a bottle of Chlorox (toilet bleach), it`ll cost pennies!

pour half of it into a plastic pop bottle to use latter, then pee in the chlorox bottle, it`ll give chlorine gas in seconds!

the whole lot will cost you about 20 cents or 15 pence, and several glasses of water :)

yeah but nothing to cry about...or lose your mucus layer over.

a better way to produce Cl2 is to get a relatively high conc HCl and add a nice oxidizing agent like H2O2. it's easy to get conc H2O2 because you can get 40-45% at salons. put the container in your freezer and wait. the H2O will freeze while the H2O2 will remain a liquid (melting point=-11 celcius). of course, when you add the H2O2 to the HCl you will probably want to run away. oh, and wear a gas mask and do this in a well ventilated area.

one last thing; why do you want Cl2? it's mostly useless and if youre looking for oxidized chlorine salts, just use chlorox; a mixture of Na and Ca hypochlorites.

it was enough to make my eyes water and nose hurt when i did it in a less ventolated area.

Borrowed from web elements

It is rarely necessary to make chlorine in the laboratory as it is readily available commercially in cylindes. Chlorine is found largely in seawater where it exists as sodium chloride. It is recovered as a reactive, corrosive, pale green chlorine gas from brine (a solution of sodium chloride in water) by electrolyis. Electrolysis of molten salt, NaCl, also succeeds, in which case the other product is sodium metal rather than sodium hydroxide.

Na+ + Cl- + H2O Na+ + 1/2Cl2 + 1/2H2 + OH-

In the laboratory under carefully controlled conditions, chlorine can be made by the action of an oxidizing agent such as manganese dioxide, MnO2, upon concentrated hydrochloric acid - the same reaction used by Scheele in 1774 when discovering chlorine.

MnO2 + 4HCl MnCl2 + Cl2 + 2H2O