Can a Wave be Visible?

Ashish

electromagnetic waves can be seen.

mechanical waves can be seen in bits of string and springs via electromagnetic waves

matter waves can be seen in the air and ocean again via electromagnetc waves.

light itself is an electromagnet wave.

I'm really confused that why we say that when any wave is to described we take an example of String set into vibration. Why is so can you tell me clearly

Has anyone considered the notion that (and I say this with Respect to the community so don't think it as an attack) that Light is in fact not moving at all? Maybe it is only Matter/Particles of a (Lower) vibratory State that are in fact doing all the moving? It seems to be a plausible question if we stare at it a moment.

This could very well be why we have trouble interpreting its where abouts......,after all, we passed it long ago lol.

Has anyone considered the notion that (and I say this with Respect to the community so don't think it as an attack) that Light is in fact not moving at all? Maybe it is only Matter/Particles of a (Lower) vibratory State that are in fact doing all the moving? It seems to be a plausible question if we stare at it a moment.

This could very well be why we have trouble interpreting its where about..after all, we passed it long ago lol.

I really appreciates you for your good imagination idea

that impressed me

• 1 month later...

This could very well be why we have trouble interpreting its where abouts......,after all, we passed it long ago lol.

What is 'vibratory state'?

If something is vibrating, it's moving, by definition.......

?? What you are describing is exacty what we mean by "light moving"! Just as the individual molecules of water in a water wave move up and down, it is the WAVE that moves across the water, not any physical object.

What you are talking about is precisely what a "wave" is.

When you say 'Matter Waves' do you mean waves of matter (i.e. wave function of an electron) or are you talking like ocean waves?

Hmmm... to My way of thinking, a Wave itself cannot be seen, but Rather it`s Effects can be.

I consider it as a Function only.

but I could be wrong?

Good question.

There are obvious waves, like sound waves. Then there are the slightly trickier ones.

E&M Waves and Quantum Field Oscillations and Graviational Waves (theorized).

In terms of matter waves, (the wave function of an electron) all this stuff is open to interpretation. Some don't view it as a wave at all (multiverse). Some view it as a wave with a particle riding at it's forefront (bohm interpretation), some view it as both (the most popular, CopenHagen Interp, where the wave function collapses upon being measured).

Personally, I am in the multiverse category. When I think of a 'wave' I basically think wave of probability, such as this wave is the probability of finding an electron here, oh looks we detected it, so it must be here (collapse of the wave function).

E&M Waves are viewed the same way.

Gravitational waves however are actually ripples in space-time curvature, which SHOULD happen when things like black holes collide, and we should be detecting them.

But we arn't.

• 4 months later...

I beg to differ on that Definition of motion. If I stood at my house vibrating I would still never get to The corner market. Vibrating hard enough will cause motion but isn't motion in and of itself. (like those old vibrating metal plate football games in the 70's used vibration to cause the little Free standing Vibrationally responsive football players to bounce around on the plate in hopes of a touch down )

Really vibration comes down to (in this particular example) a frequency value like a tone or pitch (I know what your thinking but again this is to Get the point across instead of writing a manuscript for you or anyone else ) that is more observed rather than caught or tracked. You really cant tell the position of your favorite song while it is in the air at all can you?

I hypothesize that the speed of light is purely conjectural.

It stand vibrating in all positions at the same time.

That is why no matter how fast you go it will still go faster than you from where you are standing.

Like that mountain outside your window when you are traveling down a highway at high velocity. Te mountain isn't at all racing by you in the opposite direction but it would look as such from the limited perspective on an ignorant passenger.

"Not that you persay are and ignorant passenger"

What is 'vibratory state'?

If something is vibrating, it's moving, by definition.......

?? What you are describing is exacty what we mean by "light moving"! Just as the individual molecules of water in a water wave move up and down, it is the WAVE that moves across the water, not any physical object.

What you are talking about is precisely what a "wave" is.

I beg to differ on that Definition of motion. If I stood at my house vibrating I would still never get to The corner market. Vibrating hard enough will cause motion but isn't motion in and of itself. (like those old vibrating metal plate football games in the 70's used vibration to cause the little Free standing Vibrationally responsive football players to bounce around on the plate in hopes of a touch down )

Really vibration comes down to (in this particular example) a frequency value like a tone or pitch (I know what your thinking but again this is to Get the point across instead of writing a manuscript for you or anyone else ) that is more observed rather than caught or tracked. You really cant tell the position of your favorite song while it is in the air at all can you?

That is why no matter how fast you go it will still go faster than you from where you are standing.

Like that mountain outside your window when you are traveling down a highway at high velocity. Te mountain isn't at all racing by you in the opposite direction but it would look as such from the limited perspective on an ignorant passenger.

03-01-2008 01:32 PM

03-01-2008 01:32 PM

So a swinging pendulum isn't in motion?

I'd go with anything that has a time dependent spacial position counts as motion. So vibration would count.

Waves aren't really anything in an of themselves. I really conceptualise them as manifestations of energy. Not as though they were a type of energy, (kinetic, gravitational), but rather their manifestation in contact with matter. They aren't really much else.

if the vibrations amplitude was great enough you could get to the corner market at peak displacement. and if the period is long enough you can even get a few things while your there.

Yes right there you proved it..

Vibration can cause motion but it is not in fact motion itself.

So a swinging pendulum isn't in motion?

I'd go with anything that has a time dependent spacial position counts as motion. So vibration would count.

Swinging ..isn't the same as vibrating.

Swing is back and forth motion Vibrating is stationary;

Try again if you will.

Try again if you will.

Can you please elaborate on the bit I bolded? Vibration inherently involves movement, so the description of "stationary" can only apply if you insist on an arbitrarily large frame. Stationary has the same root as "stasis," implying complete lack of motion, which vibration is not.

in my example the center of the vibration is still the house. but the peak displacement of the vibration is the corner market. you will still have to return to center and back out the other directions an equal displacement.

vibration is a ocilating movement. the average position doesn't change but the instantaneous position does.

Try again if you will.

So vibration isn't back and forth motion then? What is it then?