Nanotechnology

ChemSiddiqui

My own interest is to see where nanomanufacturing can impact our energy and environmental needs... like increasing the efficiency of photovoltaics, for example.

yes. I worked with a fellow who was trying to make photovoltaic stuff. he belived that it was possible that one day we'd have transparent (visibly transparent, anyway) PV cells in our windows. they'd absorb UV light and generate electricity from that

My own interest is to see where nanomanufacturing can impact our energy and environmental needs... like increasing the efficiency of photovoltaics, for example.

That's excellent!

Nano TiO2 particles are used in sunblock to get high SPF values without staining the skin white. I made my own homemade version for my wife as she is allergic to most sunscreens. (OK, it was homemade in so much as I ordered some samples of nano TiO2 from some big componies).

(sorry about the BMW post - I couldn't resist it).

One thing's for sure. Even its a very fresh branc science its still to be explored and we will see goods and bads about it. But at this instant lets just appreciate how much work is being done on it and what we have managed to find out regarding its uses!

One thing's for sure. Even its a very fresh branch science its still to be explored and we will see goods and bads about it. But at this instant lets just appreciate how much work is being done on it and what we have managed to find out regarding its uses!

yes. I worked with a fellow who was trying to make photovoltaic stuff. he belived that it was possible that one day we'd have transparent (visibly transparent, anyway) PV cells in our windows. they'd absorb UV light and generate electricity from that

Like this one, for example:

http://www.terrasolar.com/technology.html

Terra Solar has recently developed a specularly transparent a-Si module that can be used for photovoltaic windows. Amorphous-silicon material is itself semi-transparent and thus is most suitable for transparent modules. Thin-film rather than crystalline silicon is the preferred technology for BIPV because thin-film PV modules can more easily be incorporated into building material and are more aesthetically pleasing.

The company that provides my paycheck actually builds the multimillion dollar machines which deposit thin film structures at nanoscales (in addition to other things). It's amazing technology. :)

I've also heard of photovoltaic paint (I think on a PBS show a few years back).

<pause to google>

Yep... Sho'nuff:

http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/Current/Projects/27085.pdf

CALIFORNIA STATE SCIENCE FAIR

2007 PROJECT SUMMARY

Photovoltaic Paint: Generating Electrical Energy via Multi-Polymer

Conduction Layers and Combination P-N Junction Diode

http://www.forbes.com/2004/10/21/cz_jw_1021soapbox.html

Politicians get a lot of mileage out of pledging to reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil, but a trio of U.S.-based solar cell startups might actually be able to do something about it. These startups, Nanosolar, Nanosys and Konarka Technologies, and corporate players such as Matsushita and STMicroelectronics (nyse: STM - news - people ) are striving to produce photon-harvesting materials at lower costs and in higher volumes than traditional crystalline silicon photovoltaic cells.

Nanosolar has developed a material of metal oxide nanowires that can be sprayed as a liquid onto a plastic substrate where it self-assembles into a photovoltaic film. A roll-to-roll process similar to high-speed printing offers a high-volume approach that doesn't require high temperatures or vacuum equipment. Nanosys intends for its solar coatings--based on structures called nanotetrapods--to be sprayed onto roofing tiles. And Konarka is developing plastic sheets embedded with titanium dioxide nanocrystals coated with light-absorbing dyes.

do you think that this field of science have more advantages than it's disanvantages?

To early to tell to be honest, but so far we have seen in this thread that those who were in favour of this science were stating advantages and advantages its got whilst those we were against put very few disadvantages to the environment instead they stated that this field is useless (no specific harmful disadvantages they quoted). So there you are more advantages than disadvantages!

Every invention of human kind can be used both for good and for bad. This does not mean that the invention itself is itself either good or bad, only those using it for their own specific agendas and purposes.

To early to tell to be honest, but so far we have seen in this thread that those who were in favour of this science were stating advantages and advantages its got whilst those we were against put very few disadvantages to the environment instead they stated that this field is useless (no specific harmful disadvantages they quoted). So there you are more advantages than disadvantages!

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one that said anything remotely negative about nanotechnology here. But dear Lord man, nobody ever said it was "useless". But nanotech is NOT a panacea.

I said that it is mostly hype (at least 98%) and if we flushed the hype and quit blindly throwing money at things just because someone labeled them as nanotech or nanobiotech or whatever the latest buzz word of the day is in this round of grant proposals...... and focused on good science instead, we and the taxpayers and shareholders who fund us, and the whole world would be better off. I wish that half as much attention was paid to alternate energy programs as nanotech...........

There are some real issues and dangers associated with new technologies that have not been realized and will not be realized until some later date. (quantum dots inside of people excluded...we already know that Cd is very toxic). That is the way it is and will be until we can model every variable in the universe. But some are going to be relatively obvious to you if you look closely, but not to the mainstream. Please do some research and reading and find out what these might be before you become a blind cheerleader.

Those of us that have been working in quote nanotechnology unquote for 5-7 (my own experience) or longer (I do know people that have been in this longer than 10 yrs) realize that it is not a panacea for all of the world's ills......in spite of the fact that some of us have the word nanotechnology clearly written across our paychecks.

Read man. Read. Read everything, but especially what you don't want to hear. Read about the history of science and the people that suffered because of ignorance...just not knowing and going with the lastest and greatest thing...Thalidomide babies, birth defects because of semiconductor factory ground water pollution, all the chemists that died of cancer or the people that had their feet measured with high power x-rays so their new shoes would fit better....etc...etc....

You are going to be a good scientist someday, I'll bet on it. But at some point you will stop relying on the propaganda that SciAm, Pop Science, the pop press and the other popular lay mediums and popular mediums of science cheerlead and get to the real story behind what it is you want to do. Don't throw them out, but keep them in the toilet for special reading occasions.

I'll crawl back in my cave now......