Bands/music projects of SFN

Gilded

I know some really talented musicians that just can't get MIDI.

True, although I wouldn`t dare call myself "talented" I can`t get my head around MIDI either, the most I do I connect my synths via the cable and that lets me use the other one from the same keyboard as a sound bank :embarass:

I`v just about figured out how to save a composition to the floppy disc.

unlike the old analog days where you knew the sound you wanted and could picture it`s waveform and instantly knew how to shape it, Now you need a degree in programming:-(

True, although I wouldn`t dare call myself "talented" I can`t get my head around MIDI either, the most I do I connect my synths via the cable and that lets me use the other one from the same keyboard as a sound bank :embarass:

I`v just about figured out how to save a composition to the floppy disc.

unlike the old analog days where you knew the sound you wanted and could picture it`s waveform and instantly knew how to shape it, Now you need a degree in programming:-(

Not so, YT! I use Propellerhead's Reason for almost all my digital music. That program is good for pretty much every level of digital-musicianship. All the drum machine's and synthesizers are modeled after their analog equivalents.

I prefer playing live instruments any day of the week, but you can get pretty far with just your computer. I've recently been experimenting with digital music created in Reason plus adding live instruments to back it up.

Not so, YT! I use Propellerhead's Reason for almost all my digital music. That program is good for pretty much every level of digital-musicianship. All the drum machine's and synthesizers are modeled after their analog equivalents.

I prefer playing live instruments any day of the week, but you can get pretty far with just your computer. I've recently been experimenting with digital music created in Reason plus adding live instruments to back it up.

I use Reason too. However one of its problems is that it doesn't have VST support, which makes it a bit less flexible than software like Cubase. And the mastering and mixing capabilities are somewhat more limited. I also use FL Studio and Acid Pro though, so it doesn't matter that much.

my synths are not hooked up to a PC though, they`re only MIDIed together, the Floppy drive is built into one of the synths.

You can synch reason with a VST-supported program pretty easily using ReWire.

But I don't even do that. I just export each voice in a wav format, and import them into Audacity. I don't have as much flexibility that way, because if I want to change notes, etc, I have to go back into reason, and reimport the voice. But it gets the job done. I'm currently looking into alternatives to doing that... I think ReWire works with audacity, itself.

my synths are not hooked up to a PC though, they`re only MIDIed together, the Floppy drive is built into one of the synths.

So, you're old school?

• 2 weeks later...

Blatant advertising (on topic though!): A Finnish industrial/electronic music compilation was released recently, featuring many Finnish artists such as yours truly. Pretty good stuff and most importantly it's free. :D You can download it here.