Bands/music projects of SFN

Gilded

Does YT play the guitar in a power metal band? Does Phi for All compose jazz-reggae-trance fusion songs? Is Klaynos the lead singer of a boy band? Read all about it here!

I think there was a "do you play any instrument" thread at some point in the past but not a thread like this (at least I couldn't find one after a painstaking 30 seconds of searching). Anyway, I thought it might be cool to have a thread like this, who knows what sort of insanely talented musicians have found their way to SFN.

...Also I wanted to shamelessly promote my spacesynth project Baryonic Collision (hey it even has a sciency name).

I've been experimenting with synths since the age of 9, and have played the guitar for roughly 18 years...unlike YT, I'm quite serious about my guitar playing, and shred till my fingers bleed.

I've had various projects / studio equipment over the years, had one release many years ago (only available on vinyl...sounds very dated now), and have performed at various clubs and pubs...but it's mainly just a hobby.

I like heavy rock, metal and similar. However, I am completely talentless when it comes to playing musics (or indeed singing).

Although there is a lot of mathematics and physics involved in music it escapes me.

I like your stuff Gilded, is there a Jean Michel Jarre influence there, or someone similar from the same era ?

Good to hear. :) And actually yesterday I thought about it and realized I might be sort of a 3rd generation composer as far as spacesynth goes since I have listened to a lot of quite recent music of the genre (such as Finnish projects Electron, Mark Vera and Galaxion), even more so than to the original and pioneering artists of the genre. So I'd say I'm influenced by Jarre and others of the era but somewhat undirectly.

I tinker around with composing electronic music on the computer (the stuff you just can't make on a synth) and I sing.
I do similiar things... I posted my page a couple posts back..
"Like-a-bot" -- watch for this electronica duo ;)>:D

• 4 months later...

I play guitar, bass, drums and piano and attempt to ruin them with my vocals. I've got about 3 projects completed, all on my site (which is kind of embarassing, since I obviously suck at HTML....) A metal root augmented with acoustics, I'm heavily influenced by Floyd, Radiohead, Tool, Rush, old Metallica, Beatles...

I had no idea you guys were musicians, except for Snail. Snail's got some great stuff on his myspace site, last time I listened.

I've been classically trained in piano and trumpet since I was very young, and in high school I had a job that required me to basically learn every instrument for the purpose of teaching them to beginners. In college I did some informal, fairly hilarious stuff with friends. Think Frank Zappa meets Jerry Lee Lewis meets The Band meets Talking Heads meets Nirvana meets William Shatner. (Better yet: don't.) There was also a Beach Boys clone we called Dreamboat formed solely for the purpose of making a scene at parties.

Edited by Sisyphus

I play guitar, bass, drums and piano and attempt to ruin them with my vocals. I've got about 3 projects completed, all on my site (which is kind of embarassing, since I obviously suck at HTML....) A metal root augmented with acoustics, I'm heavily influenced by Floyd, Radiohead, Tool, Rush, old Metallica, Beatles...

I usually dislike heavy metal, but you're stuff if pretty good.

I'd like to have some talent.

But I don't know how to play any instrument.

I can do something like screamo and that's all.. maybe some backin' vocal.

I'd fit well in some band like a completely fun crazy band which no one knows how to play any instrument and just keep fooling with electronic songs.

I'd like to have some talent.

But I don't know how to play any instrument.

You know, I used to feel that way a few years back too. I sort of practiced playing guitar for a very brief while but it didn't catch on. I did enjoy composing music and experimenting with different sounds though, and eventually got a midi keyboard which is a nifty thing to have if you're composing a lot electronically, regardless of piano/keyboards experience. Eventually I learned some basic scales and chord progressions sort of on the side and it just went on from there. Recently I even got myself a Korg X50 synthesizer and now I'm thinking of picking up the guitar again. I'm not too talented as far as technique goes but during the last few years I've learned a lot about music and sounds in general.

You know, I used to feel that way a few years back too. I sort of practiced playing guitar for a very brief while but it didn't catch on. I did enjoy composing music and experimenting with different sounds though, and eventually got a midi keyboard which is a nifty thing to have if you're composing a lot electronically, regardless of piano/keyboards experience. Eventually I learned some basic scales and chord progressions sort of on the side and it just went on from there. Recently I even got myself a Korg X50 synthesizer and now I'm thinking of picking up the guitar again. I'm not too talented as far as technique goes but during the last few years I've learned a lot about music and sounds in general.

It sounds good.

I've tried to learn how to play guitar but I failed. I'm getting used to electronic music. So, maybe I'll look forward to that.

It sounds good.

I've tried to learn how to play guitar but I failed. I'm getting used to electronic music. So, maybe I'll look forward to that.

The nice thing about electronic music is it allows composition for those not so inclined to instrumentation. It's funny too, because I know some really talented musicians that just can't get MIDI. They can shred on bass or guitar, but mapping soft synths is next to impossible for them.

And you'd be surprised at the amazing sounds and glorious composition skills some amatures possess, despite having virtually no talent for traditional instruments.