Three legged aliens?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're misapplying the term "3-" and "2-D".

Besides that, it's overwhelmingly obvious that this is entirely pulled out of your posterior.

:D Sorry HB but that was really funny, I laughed my posterior off :doh: Pioneer (HB) are you thinking of a three legged animal using each leg in turn? Did you see the latest War of the Worlds with Tom Cat? The aliens had three legs, they walked like a tripod, two then one, two then one, not one two three, this gait looked entirely natural. To walk One two three your legs would have to be in a row wouldn't they?

• 4 weeks later...

You folks got me thinking. I came up with one scenario for a dominant life form being 3 legged. If there were seal-like or dolphin-like critters, air breather that returned to the sea, and there was a global inundation... the descendants of those might recolonize the land. They might not need high speed locomotion, and develop a single large back leg, on which they can balance a bit and use their front legs to manipulate stuff, but also require front legs for locomotion still, though they might be able to carry stuff "one handed".

Possibly and no. 3 sexes are just wrong1

why would 3 genders be wrong? most species only have one(which makes the concept of gender useless for them), a percentage of species have 2(us humans included) and some of those can swap or be both at the same time. a third one would be no less wrong although would be interesting to see what role the third gender would make. also, three genders is not a requirement for an organism with three legs.

Whatever body geometry, optimized locomotion requires a nerve signal to do this. If we extrapolate this back to the brain or neural center a rhythm needs to occur in the brain, which sort of sets the neural background that then will integrate into other interactions to get everything to coordinate. This is simple and becomes the base layer.

If you look at humans, when we walk the arms and legs sort of cross coordinate. Left arm forward and right leg forward. The value of this is two independent loops that coordinate. If we were wired left arm-left leg, these would be closer to one system making it harder to break the arms out into its own loop so we can use the arms independently. While we walk the arms can fiddle with the spear, although this movement may still sway with the base movement.

The human hands added another loop to the base control system, which differentiated from the arm loop. We can fiddle with the I-pod while we walk with the arms still sort of swaying with the walking motion.