Possible Solution to Energy Problem & Reducing Global Warming

Dr.CWho

Possible Solution to Energy Problem Reducing Global Warming

I had mentioned a bit earlier that I have a concept for an energy source that I have already proven in principle. We need ideas desperately for stationary energy sources that don’t overly energize our atmosphere with emf or a runaway greenhouse effect. I encourage people to stop making meat eating babies and half the cure is there. Every meat eating person requires about 100,000 cubic feet of methane and other greenhouse gases to be generated during the livestock production it takes to feed them EVERY YEAR. That’s about 600,000,000,000 cubic feet of methane every year. Other key emission areas are automotive energy production. I have what may be an answer for the stationary energy that goes to our homes and it may qualify as perpetual motion, in fact it’s a wonder this wasn’t thought of earlier. Maybe because oil seemed such a good thing...

This much I have tested with crude models and am currently building a “streamlined” demonstrator with LEDs that shows how a small stack of magnets enclosed in a sealed plastic bubble will ascend rapidly through a series of coils, producing a current. I use urethane plastic coil forms on a waxed cylinder with a slight draft for separation. No iron cores. No hysteresis. Single conductor 18 gage enameled magnet wire. I left room for fluid displacement and field zone separation by supporting the coils with plastic rods at the quadrants of the cylinder formed, then removed the excess plastic between the individual coils, this way no resistance to buoyancy is present beyond atmospheric pressure.

Reminding you this model demonstrates a principle, not my interpretation of the Rube Goldberg that can use this principle, along with gravity for potential and kinetic energy, to produce energy as a direct transduction of the work of buoyancy, then again as mechanical energy or possibly again into electromagnetic energy to displace its own weight and mass into the base of the buoyancy column. The above model only demonstrates the conversion of buoyancy potential into electric energy.

What I’m putting out to this group is something of a challenge to come up with methods to return the bubble to the base of the column. I’ve come up with a few. In all cases one must remember this will be a stream of host bubbles. I separate them by reversing poles every other bubble. One method I’ve been mulling over is a revolving chamber valve. To equalize the hydraulic pressure of the buoyancy column’s water level, one only has to displace the water volume of the intersection of the sphere with a cylinder of equal spacial dimensions. The bubbles must be resilient to the pressure in the entire column, of course this pressure diminishes as the stream of bubbles fills more of the column’s volume with spheres.

The work to displace the next bubble into the column should take no more than the potential drop of 5 meters, so the taller and bigger the better the acceleration. My model is still crude because it uses one coil layer as of now to measure just what these 3cm ceramic magnets will do. They appear to have a useful field depth of about 2.5cm from center. The tighter the bubble symmetry, the better this can be capitalized upon. Volume works well with a 2:1 air to magnet ratio.

I’m not interested in making money off this idea. I have other concepts and means for that. We need a source of energy that uses the natural forces offered by this planet and its gravity. I call this Hydrostatic Generation. Maybe someone out there has a better terminology. This is not a free lunch it’s just a slave made from two natural processes, buoyancy and gravity.

I’m not worried about losing money to altruism. There certainly can be no 100% altruism because everyone gets some kind of pay off for just about everything they do, even if that pay off is in canonization. I have another device concept that essentially would convert a 327, for example, into an impulse fusion driven engine. That, would be beyond my rights to test at my research facility, but probably not Ball State and certainly not Purdue or University of Michigan if I want to hang out around Ann Arbor or Lafayette some more. I could build it here, but I couldn’t even order tritium to make some preliminary tests of what amounts to an energy injector. What I can play with is lithium and a small cyclotron of about 50 amps power consumption. That’s about like using a Lincoln welder in your garage or an electric range in your kitchen. I may use steam as a coolant and mechanical buffer. Any questions, I always consult the Center for Radiological Disease Control CRDC. Some things you need a license for. I first encountered them designing laser light shows for a beverage company. These are things to keep in mind whether you are an amateur or pro in the field.

Aside from the fusion power car-(Yes. It could be made safe.)-that-ends-all-emissions diversion, the Hydrostatic Generator has potential. This could be an answer to our need for fossil fuel stationary energy. Those of us that contribute to the furthered mechanical design(s) should naturally gain the appropriate recognition or perhaps “conceptionist’s” rights.

Just so you don’t think I’m trolling for personal gain, here are my abstracted mechanical concepts for the displacement phase.

1. Revolving Chamber Valve. This delivers a pre-flooded chamber to a release bay and chokes off the clearance area of descending water pressure once buoyancy has launched the sphere beyond its widest radius. Some leakage would occur as the valve aperture closes but not enough to equal the volume displaced by the mass of the magnets.

2. A cache of submersed spheres admitted in alternating polar order. This way the bubbles are just waiting in line to be sorted into the upward stream of bubbles.

3. Descending momentum submergence trap system. The sphere’s buoyancy is overtaken by gravitational acceleration and the sphere plunges through an aperture into submersion, then is towed down to the base of the ascending column. (This I’ve made some tests.) Towing is a simple process and it is conceivable that the energy developed around the magnet spheres in free fall could be used to create a vortex capable of the same effect.

For a larger generator, the spheres can be polycarbonate sealed inside a silicone outer layer. Remember resilience is important. The spheres would cradle the magnet body between centralized trunnions slung to always have a low center of gravity. This allows the spheres to roll off the top of the ascending column where more permanent magnets can influence the spheres to sort by top pole. The next bubble completes ejecting the preceding bubble like poles repelling below and sorter magnets attracting from above the column.

A cousin to the “shake-shake” flashlight... Maybe some of you have some other better ideas for alternative energy. I like this one because you just have to keep it topped off with water. The question is, whatever the chosen return method, this half thought-half real world device might qualify as perpetual motion. I’ve always been of the understanding that perpetual motion means the parts are also eternal, so that may disqualify it enough to satisfy the patent office. You can’t patent perpetual motion. You can, however, patent design. What if the design incorporates a perpetual motion device? Can it still be patented as a design?

There it is. Chew it up and spit it out if you like. Or... Try it. If you like it, try it twice.:D

Dr. CWho

What I’m putting out to this group is something of a challenge to come up with methods to return the bubble to the base of the column.

I predict it will take more energy to reintroduce the bubble to the column than you can get from the device. You are required to displace that volume of water vertically, and if it's bouyant, the water has more mass.

Perpetual motion violates the laws of thermodynamics, and in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

edit: Perpetual motion. Moved to speculations.

I like nanotechnology and I wonder about its applications to say nuclear technology. Its always a giant reactor, or a large reactor at least with the ability to greatly poison its surroundings, that chance for such an occurrence cannot be ruled out yet in regards to human control anyway. I think the problem with this is if science or engineering produced stable, operational for daily human life activities and lifestyles or culture, that it could easily proliferate a technology that has to many negative consequences that could be associated with it. I mean our highways could become packed carrying large quantities of nuclear waste.

The then related economical scene makes it less likely. Your ability to get green technology to sell has many variables, one of them simply being cost. Cost is not always viewed in a life cycle sense, which I think is wrong. This simple concept could be viewed to contain any issue around standardized consumption, or large scale consumption. For instance a more efficient light bulb when used by say 100,000 people in there daily lives collectively is a nice piece of energy. So with that being said a lifecycle view of an object typically stops after it gets tossed in the garbage way to much, for anything even food. So to me greening of anything ultimately means something that can persist in the environment without altering it to any destructive point. At the base of this of course you deal with just energy and conversions of such really, so I guess that would be the place to start more so in the idea of producing any stable human society, economy, world, etc...

Nano tech may pull off some violations harvesting Brownian motion, Van Der Waal force,or diodo rectification of radio noise.

Also Piezo-electric nano wire arrays harvesting sound, vibration mabe even wind , Also Nano PV and Solar to Hydrogen Solar colection are coming on strong.

However, short of a Energy "silver bullet" like fusion , or Nano-Solar, Here is a fully DOABLE technology;

Terra Preta Soils/Biofuels represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive approach to long term stewardship and sustainability.Terra Preta Soils a process for Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon sequestration, 1/3 Lower CH4 & N2O soil emissions, and 3X Fertility Too. Terra Preta (TP)soils and closed-loop pyrolysis of Biomass, this integrated virtuous cycle could sequester 100s of Billions of tons of carbon to the soils.

UN Climate Change Conference: Biochar present at the Bali Conference

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/steinerbalinov2107

SCIAM Article May 15 07;

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=5670236C-E7F2-99DF-3E2163B9FB144E40

After many years of reviewing solutions to anthropogenic global warming (AGW) I believe this technology can manage Carbon for the greatest collective benefit at the lowest economic price, on vast scales. It just needs to be seen by ethical globally minded companies.

Could you please consider looking for a champion for this orphaned Terra Preta Carbon Soil Technology.

The main hurtle now is to change the current perspective held by the IPCC that the soil carbon cycle is a wash, to one in which soil can be used as a massive and ubiquitous Carbon sink via Charcoal. Below are the first concrete steps in that direction;

S.1884 – The Salazar Harvesting Energy Act of 2007

A Summary of Biochar Provisions in S.1884:

Carbon-Negative Biomass Energy and Soil Quality Initiative

for the 2007 Farm Bill

http://www.biochar-international.org/newinformationevents/newlegislation.html

After many years of reviewing solutions to anthropogenic global warming (AGW) I believe this technology can manage Carbon for the greatest collective benefit at the lowest economic price, on vast scales. It just needs to be seen by ethical globally minded companies.

Even with all the big corporations coming to the GHG negotiation table, like Exxon, Alcoa, .etc, we still need to keep watch as they try to influence how carbon management is legislated in the USA. Carbon must have a fair price, that fair price and the changes in the view of how the soil carbon cycle now can be used as a massive sink verses it now being viewed as a wash, will be of particular value to farmers and a global cool breath of fresh air for us all.

If you have any other questions please feel free to call me or visit the TP web site I've been drafted to co-administer. http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node

It has been immensely gratifying to see all the major players join the mail list , Cornell folks, T. Beer of Kings Ford Charcoal (Clorox), Novozyne the M-Roots guys(fungus), chemical engineers, Dr. Danny Day of EPRIDA , Dr. Antal of U. of H., Virginia Tech folks and probably many others who's back round I don't know have joined.

Also Here is the Latest BIG Terra Preta Soil news;

The Honolulu Advertiser: "The nation's leading manufacturer of charcoal has licensed a University of Hawai'i process for turning green waste into barbecue briquets."

See: http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/antalkingsford

ConocoPhillips Establishes $22.5 Million Pyrolysis Program at Iowa State

http://www.conocophillips.com/newsroom/news_releases/2007news/04-10-2007.htm

Glomalin, the recently discovered soil protien, may be the secret to to TP soils productivity;

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2003/030205.htm

Erich J. Knight

540-289-9750

shengar at aol.com

Nano tech may pull off some violations harvesting Brownian motion, Van Der Waal force,or diodo rectification of radio noise.

I don't think it will violate thermodynamics, but it might on the local scales (by not being in a closed system).

In each case you will find that there is some outside source of energy driving the system (like harvesting sound will have it's source in whatever created the sound). There is a lot of "free" energy out there like that, but it is not created from nothing (and it is hard to get at).

Terra Preta Soils/Biofuels represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive

I have had a look at terra preta and it does look promising. However, as good as it looks, I would like to see a large scale study done for it's feasability and cost effectivness (sometimes when you scale up a process it does not necessarily mean that it will still be feasable).

Solar to Hydrogen Solar colection

There are other energy storage mediums that can be used with solar other than Hydrogen (Iron nano particles IIRC) and can be stored and transported more safely. However, using solar and storing it in a medium will reduce the efficiency of the process and make it more expensive. Currently Solar is not efficent enough to be cost effective (but as oil prices rise and solar cels become more efficient this will - hopefully - be remidied).

Perpetual motion violates the laws of thermodynamics, and in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

I fully agree.

However:

I once came up with a design for a Energy generation device as part of a lunch time discussion at my work. Although I believe that it should not work, I have not been able to find anyone that can say why it shouldn't work (other than hte fact that it seem to violate thermodynamics).

It is pretty simple (but microscopic):

there are two conductive plates slightly curved and placed in a V shape (but not touching). This is placed in a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the two plates.

That is, if the letter V represents the two plates, the filed would be coming out/going into the page.

How it is supposed to work is that due to the uncertanty principle, you will occasioanlly get a particle pair production from the vacuum. In this case an Electron and a Positron. And these will have some momentum.

Due to the magnetic field and the fact that theya re moving, these particle will curve. If the particles are moving towards the narrow point of the V, then they will curve and encounter the plates. If the are moving towards the wide part of the V shpoe, then the curve of the plates is designed so that they will not be able to curve far enough before moviug too far away form the plates (you might have a conductive barrier to capture these unwanted paricles) before they energy has to be "accounted" for and the particles disappear into the vacuum again.

The positrons can aniahlate with the electrons in the conductive plate, and this will zero out the uncertainy sums (this won't release energy, but it will allow for the vacuum energy to be accounted for and returned). However, this will create a loos of electron on that plate, giving it a positive charge.

On the other plate, the electrons, now that the vacuum fluctuation has been accounted for (and in a similar way to the teleportation effects on quantum systems), will become "real" electrons.

This would be in a similar way as to how Hawking radiation works.

This second plate would be accumulating electrons and so get a negative charge.

One plate has a negative charge and the other has a positive charge. This potential difference can then be used to do work.

But other than the initial construction, no energy has been put into the system.

This shouldn't work, but why? :confused: (and if it does work, then :eek: ).

I don't think it will violate thermodynamics, but it might on the local scales (by not being in a closed system).

This second plate would be accumulating electrons and so get a negative charge.

The Casimir Effect...

I have some concepts for just such a device that I keep mostly to myself.

I want to remind the group that I wanted input as to whether this would be patentable more than the violation of thermodynamics. The forces that drive it are buoyancy and freefall. The challenge is to submerge the bubbles as a stream or into a cache of ascending bubbles.

Regarding the thermodynamics violations, who can truly define the violation?

The question that comes to mind about "this house..." statement, is if this is not a place to discuss possibilities to include the death of obsolete standard models, even of thermodynamics, then what is it here for? The growth of thermodynamics put caloric theory to death. Thermodynamics laws may not apply to areas of the universe that we cannot even detect. Are we so cowardly that we fear discussing something for which the Pope might put us on house arrest? Maybe some are that way, but not this injun...:D

Regarding the thermodynamics violations, who can truly define the violation?

I can, at least in this case.

Conservation of energy stems from the symmetry of the laws of physics under a time transformation. If the laws don't change with time, you can't create energy. You are doing a closed cycle, so without tapping into some reservoir, if you are generating useful work/energy, it's a perpetual motion device. As such, it would not be patentable.

Nobody's saying you can't discuss it. But it's speculation, which is why it's here that we discuss it, and usually some people will stop by and explain to you why it won't work.

bacteria couple their negative-entropy multiplication with a positive-entropy chemical reaction to gain energy, giving an overall positive-entropy change when you take into account their replication and the breaking down of chemicals for energy.

possibly something involving the sun, if they were photosynthetic bacteria.

so 'no'.

btw, you know you're not very good at phisics when I can spot your mistakes :D

Didn't Linus Pauling demonstrate how the propagation of bacteria also violates the 2nd Law, still bacteria are real?

It would be up to you to provide such a reference, rather than a vague assertion that such a reference might exist.

Assertion? Maybe you missed the question mark in the sentence you quoted.

I want to remind you that I also requested some ideas from others. Are you arguing that the ascending column has thermodynamic problems? If so, the best I can offer is a trip to Anderson in the not-so-distant future where I can show you how that process does in fact work.

The question I'm mulling over is the best method to load the buoys at the bottom of the ascending column. A new variation I've come up with should generate 2 to 4 times the ascending column's output with 2 descending columns. Remember these are objects in freefall...

Dr. CWho

Assertion? Maybe you missed the question mark in the sentence you quoted.

No, I saw it. By phrasing it that way as a question, nobody can really step up and say, "No" unless they knew everything Pauling ever published and said. And if you can't disprove it, maybe everyone will think it's right. An appeal to ignorance, with argument from authority thrown in.

Pauling probably never asserted that, since he was a pretty smart guy and knew physics. If he did, he was in error.

I want to remind you that I also requested some ideas from others. Are you arguing that the ascending column has thermodynamic problems? If so, the best I can offer is a trip to Anderson in the not-so-distant future where I can show you how that process does in fact work.

Yes, I am arguing it has the thermodynamic problem of violating the first law of thermodynamics. When you start generating energy with no input, let us know. I doubt anyone will be holding ther breath.

An appeal to ignorance, with argument from authority thrown in.

In your opinion I imagine... In reality, not. So far I can't find the argument from a so-called authority... :D

What I see is someone building a strawman from a post that was an invite to a think tank. Even the rings of Saturn were/are thought to defy thermodynamics... (Ref: The Planets)

Even the rings of Saturn were/are thought to defy thermodynamics... (Ref: The Planets)

Um, no. There really are no valid claims of "X defies the laws of physics" If the law can be "defied" then it's not a law, or the law has been misapplied.

Perhaps you need someone to check your math concerning the concept I've presented. As of this point I simply see a lack of imagination, of course few "authorities" I've encountered seem to have much beyond 2 dimensional

"stick people." :D