Twitching in your sleep!

What causes me to twitch when I sleep in class? At home I sleep fine, but whenever I fall to sleep in class or in the car, I wake up because of violent twitches. It usually feels like something menacing is about to happen, like i'm about to fall or something. Then I wake up! I'm sure there is a neurological reason for this, but its annoying, especially when I get wierd looks from people sitting next to me in class.

It only happens when I fall asleep in the car or in class.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like Grandpa, not like his screaming passengers.

I hope your sleeping as a passenger in the car. I imagine the twitching is because you wake in totally unfamiliar circumstances from your normal prone bed posture. I've had my head jerk violently in class when I nod off and wake suddenly.

Heroin junkies call it nodding. I'd say cut back on the Heroin.

Just aman:banme: :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Like you never get tired in a boring class with stuff you already know? If you always get to class alert Faf I suggest you need some time to loosen up and party. Real genious requires a lot of hard work and and enough partying to at least make an ass of yourself once or twice in class. Thats how I got there.

Just aman

• 3 months later...

I do the same, blike. I wouldn't call the twiching 'violent' but it is something that doesn't happen when i'm nodding off in front of my computer or in bed. I'd say having other people around causes it; not sure why though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

your not the only one blike. i get those sometimes as well. even when i am awake, like when i listening to music , or watching a film. I am not sure, I am probably in a trance for something , and then my whole body violently twitches and then i am back again. its really weird.

Actually, it is probably mild sleep apnea and you are not getting enough oxygen due to poor posture causing pressure on the airways.

If you really must sleep without lying down, at least rest your head on your fist or scoot down in your chair enough to support your head.

You could also take a nondrowsy sinus/allergy pill to ward off congestion caused by the dryness in the room.

.... the same thing usually happens when you are flying or on a train because the air gets too dry and there are too many people using the oxygen in a nonventilated room.

One more thing that I could suggest is that it might be a pinched or inflamed nerve from abnormal sleeping positions. I know that I sometimes I get numb arms from sleeping in a funny position. So when u fall asleep, because the class is too elementary, just position yourself based around your ergonomics. lol. :)

• 3 weeks later...