The Darwin Fish

CDarwin

how very Sheeple of you, I kinda credited you with having a mind of your own rather than buying into a copycat k3wl d00d look at ME fad, but if you feel this Badge that you MUST display prominantly will help define you...

oh well, Opinion Updated.

I thought my joke was creative. More original than your link to the stupid americans video. Was I insulted by that video? No. If I was insecure about the subject, then I guess I would feel insulted. I still maintain an open mind about you.

This thread is almost ridiculous. It's like someone was asking about a symbol of a screwdriver and how it mocks the hammer, and someone who happens to believe in Thor came in and started screaming about how pathetic this person is for having their screwdriver symbol.

LOL! We are crazy apes, eh? Instead of fighting for shiny things, we fight over what we think the others think about what we think our shiny things represent. :doh:

Added: I think DoG answered the question perfectly. A symbol that gives no reference to conflict would be best.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Satire always mocks somebody and most humor does, so someone will invariably be offended. But a right to free speech can't really coexist with a right not to be offended. And sometimes, I think, being offended just means you're taking things too seriously.

Can I hear an AMEN!?

meh. the darwin fish has legs, it could out-maneuveur the jesus fish :P

Like the way surfers out manuver man-eating sharks.....seal pups and killer whales....?

From what I can tell, Severian's been duped into responding objectively, so that the anti-religious can beat on him about rights, and over sensitivity to his faith.

A quick summary:

Severian: To the OP, yes of course it can be taken offensively...duh.

Anti-Religious: OH YEAH?? WELL HOW ABOUT PRACTICING A LITTLE FREE SPEECH!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SOOOOO SENSITIVE!! ....blah blah blah...

How about the atheists in the room stop being so sensitive about your lack of belief in god? Get over it. Yes, it's free speech, and everyone is perfectly free to be offended. Offense does not equal censorship. Severian never even hinted to it. Read his posts carefully.

Why so sensitive? Are your anti-religious views so precious that they can't be criticized?

Satire always mocks somebody and most humor does, so someone will invariably be offended. But a right to free speech can't really coexist with a right not to be offended. And sometimes, I think, being offended just means you're taking things too seriously.
I agree with this, and without taking issue with any of it, I'd like to use the bolded statement as an example of what seems to be a common assumption throughout this thread.

It seems to me that people consider 'offence' as some objective entity, like a bullet, and like a bullet, that people can get hit by it whether they want to or not. I don't think this is true.

It's very much like stress, insofar as there is no such thing as a stressor. If there were, everybody exposed to it would become stressed. This is not true. Stress is a response and different people produce it under different circumstances. That can be changed so that people do not produce a stress response under circumstances that would previously have resulted in stress. It's not the situation that's stressful, it's how people respond to it that results in stress and a response is a matter of choice and can be learned.

In a similar way, but with even less objectivity, offence is a response, not some objective entity that can be thrown at somebody. I don't believe a person can 'give' offence (only offer it), but only that offence can be taken and whether or not offence is taken is entirely a matter of choice. It is a learned response. I say it's even less objective than stress, because offence depends upon beliefs (which in themselves are learned and are a matter of choice) and there is no hard-wired system for offence.

This being the case, I would say of the statement "a right to free speech can't really coexist with a right not to be offended", that the right not to be offended is absolutely immutable. It exists irrespective of the right to free speech. People have to voluntarily give up that right in order to be offended.

When kids get teased, a common response by adults is 'ignore them, they'll get bored and go away'. It's ironic that so many of the same adults are so easily offended.

I thought my joke was creative. More original than your link to the stupid americans video. Was I insulted by that video? No. If I was insecure about the subject, then I guess I would feel insulted. I still maintain an open mind about you.

well it would be kinda hard to be offended by that when even I stated that it had to be a setup of some sort.

what I do find pathetic here are the ones that feel the need to enter into a Dick waving competition!

oh look the christians have this symbol, how about we write Darwin inside it *snicker*

this is less than playground level and being done by "adults"!

but Worse it`s being Posted about on a SCIENCE Forum!