Gender vs Intellectuality

How gender can influence the intellectual properties of human?Anybody agree if I state here that girl is lack of creativity performance than a boy? :P

Yes. I disagree. Intelligence is not related to gender. Having two X chromosomes versus one X and one Y may predispose you to certain traits and characteristics, but intelligence and "intellectuality" are not gender specific.

Do you have any references which prove me wrong, or which support your assertion?

I have been told that males have a broader spread of intellect than females. That is : on average, both are about the same, but males have more geniuses and more morons both. The person who told me has a Ph.D. in philosophy, and is a pretty reliable source. Anyone have a reference?

How gender can influence the intellectual properties of human?Anybody agree if I state here that girl is lack of creativity performance than a boy? :P

It's been a long-held belief (though not necessarily true) that generally, girls are "better" at English and Humanities, whereas boys are "better" at Maths and Science.

Haha, I'm crap at English and Humanities though. And I am better Maths and Science.

I have been told that males have a broader spread of intellect than females. That is : on average, both are about the same, but males have more geniuses and more morons both. The person who told me has a Ph.D. in philosophy, and is a pretty reliable source. Anyone have a reference?

nope, but I Do remember the same study, it was also announced on the radio too (BBC Worldservice) in one of their Science programs.

Hedges and Nowell, Science. 1995 Jul 7;269(5220):41-5

Further examples and elaborations were also given in these books:

Biology at work – rethinking sexual equality by Kingsley R. Browne. Rutgers University press. New Brunswick ISBN 0813530539

Divided Labours – an evolutionary view of women at work by Kingsley R. Browne. Weidenfeld & Nicolson London ISBN 0297841408 Darwinism Today series. Series Editors Helena Cronin and Oliver Curry.

A contrasting view was put forth in the commentary of the Nature magazine by Barres (Vol 442, 13, July 1996)

Actually I read them mainly out of interest, but it is kinda helpful if you are a yourself in a position in which you at least have some influence about giving jobs to someone in science. As a male one can find oneself quite quickly in the sexist corner if one is not careful enough (hence I need good data, or at least literature).

It would be impossible to say whether it is one way or the other without somehow isolating nature and nurture.

Maybe males have more intellectual prowess because they see that males in the world are (arguably) more intellectual and thus it becomes a personal goal for these individuals to define themselves based on the norm... you never know.

I tried to touch on this in my reference above to characteristics and traits, but it probably wasn't clear. How is intelligence being defined for this conversation? (as there are multiple theories of intelligence).

I don't really know if you can put a definition on it, because the term intelligence is subjective and vague to begin with. Pretty much, you can classify anything as "intelligent" if you so wish and it would be perfectly valid; for example, lets say it is the ability to remember lots of things. If that's the case, then computers are far more intelligent than humans are.

===========================

And for those of you who think IQ test actually have some merit, I'd suggest that you read about the so-called "idiot savants" for a rather different perspective. Kim Peek is a case example. I tend not to trust any result that uses an IQ test simply because they are inherently biased and subjective, are only valid when one is a kid, and I've read somewhere that it is very easy to make a test that can easily favor one group over another.

I think most men are hard-wired to be more tactical and task-specific in their general intellectual make-up (see a fire, put it out). Women are generally more strategic and big-picture in their thinking (maybe the forest needs to burn). Men and women often misread this difference as a lack on the part of the other but it can be a huge benefit when acknowledged and exploited properly.

I don't really know if you can put a definition on it, because the term intelligence is subjective and vague to begin with. Pretty much, you can classify anything as "intelligent" if you so wish and it would be perfectly valid; for example, lets say it is the ability to remember lots of things. If that's the case, then computers are far more intelligent than humans are.

===========================

And for those of you who think IQ test actually have some merit, I'd suggest that you read about the so-called "idiot savants" for a rather different perspective. Kim Peek is a case example. I tend not to trust any result that uses an IQ test simply because they are inherently biased and subjective, are only valid when one is a kid, and I've read somewhere that it is very easy to make a test that can easily favor one group over another.

How are savants not intelligent though?

i read from a journal that said, the intelligence can be divided into two types of dominance field; (a) logic & (b) creative..[think no need to elaborate this field, renowned already..].They stated that brain structures of men and woman are things that make them different (lobus).This criterion can influenced the ability of thinking of a men and a woman in different field.For the case example,a boy and a girl were discharged into a maze.Next,they were asked to climbed a tall station to let them view from above.Then,they were asked again to trace the maze without going to the tall station.Finally,boy won to reached the last check point faster than a girl due to differently using their brain.Boy tends to think about and imagine the overall view(of maze's map) rather than a girl,which tends to focus part by part (about the maze's map).Then,the experiment further to using much boys and girls to let the hypothesis accurate.:eyebrow:

Interesting issue!

My opinion is that intelligence does not depend on the gender, but on the features and characteristics that they posses. Men have ruled the world throughout the history, and that is still going on. This power that men were able to get is not because of the intellect that men posses, but because of the natural advantage that they have.

Men take more risks, have stronger moral, more self-esteem and another very important thing is that men use their strength in many occasions, with very often is the key factor to the success of men.

I personally believe that intellect is not depended by gender, but men rule because of their natural advantage.

Cheers,

Shade

For the case example,a boy and a girl were discharged into a maze.Next,they were asked to climbed a tall station to let them view from above.Then,they were asked again to trace the maze without going to the tall station.Finally,boy won to reached the last check point faster than a girl due to differently using their brain.Boy tends to think about and imagine the overall view(of maze's map) rather than a girl,which tends to focus part by part (about the maze's map).Then,the experiment further to using much boys and girls to let the hypothesis accurate.:eyebrow:

There are different strengths and abilities by gender, but intelligence is too broad of a term to illiminate any of them. Males tend to have better visio-spatial abilities and females tend to have more acute sensory perceptions, for example, but the differences and similarities we choose to discuss are quite limitless... and nobody has agreed upon a definition of what we're talking about... intelligence.

I personally believe that intellect is not depended by gender, but men rule because of their natural advantage.

Cheers,

Shade

I find it funny that you recently opened a thread wondering why more woman don't participate here at SFN. Could have something to do with open arrogance and generalizations like the above. :rolleyes:

I find it funny that you recently opened a thread wondering why more woman don't participate here at SFN. Could have something to do with open arrogance and generalizations like the above. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did open a thread (Females at SFN), and that is another thing that supports the opinion I stated above.

If intellect does not depend on gender (I think so), then why are SFN is mainly (almost completely) males?

You get my point iNow!:cool:

If intellect does not depend on gender (I think so), then why are SFN is mainly (almost completely) males?

Because forums appeal mostly to a male audience for whatever reason. There are very few websites where women dominate, even in other totally random non-intellectual subjects.

Because forums appeal mostly to a male audience for whatever reason. There are very few websites where women dominate, even in other totally random non-intellectual subjects.

yup!

Ive been on, and am on multiple forums.

Including my hobbies. interests. and gaming.

I can say, that out of all of them, there have been TWO forums that had more women then men were:

1) 'The Sims' forum

2) Jewelery and Gemstones forum

other than that they've all had many more men than women.

and remember, this is 2 out of about 9 (including those I no longer visit)