Savant VS Brilliant

al-Chemist

hello alls.. ermm,today i just want to bring a controversial topic to be discuss by us..ok? the topic is quite mystery and yet have been demystified with absolute solution or so on..the topic is about savant people...ok,what you guys will keep in mind when somebody talk about savant people? is it savant people can be assume as a brilliant human-being?:confused: anybody can elaborate this topic to a perfect description is allow to do that here..:D

I never understood the use of the term "Savant".

Savant means one who knows or scholary in French. It used to be that certain individuals, like The Rainman, were called "Idiot Savants" because they had certain traits associated with very high intelligence and other, perhaps less favorable, intellectual capacities or qualities....then that term became un-PC and the negative portion of the term was dropped. Perhaps rightly so, because it seems to be an unkind term............but, in a nutshell, I think the term "Savant" is confusing and technically incorrect......."Autistic Savant" is sometimes, but perhaps less frequently used, and it seems much more appropriate. Do you agree?

Glider.....help............

From my understanding, savants are people who are incredibly gifted in one area (say, quantum physics) but are limited in other areas (mostly social skills, but some savants are classified as mentally disabled, but still can be brilliant in one area). I'm sure that they are brilliant, in a sense, but I'd rather be more well-rounded than brilliant in one area and severely limited in others.

Savant is used in general parlance to refer to someone who is otherwise handicapped, but very gifted in some area.

Brilliant tends to be a subjective label applied based on one's perception of that person, but is not well defined, nor does it have parameters which make it measurable.

I remain open to correction on the above, as I am neither savant nor chronically brilliant... just acutely, and rarely at that. ;)

I never understood the use of the term "Savant".

Savant means one who knows or scholary in French. It used to be that certain individuals, like The Rainman, were called "Idiot Savants" because they had certain traits associated with very high intelligence and other, perhaps less favorable, intellectual capacities or qualities....then that term became un-PC and the negative portion of the term was dropped. Perhaps rightly so, because it seems to be an unkind term............but, in a nutshell, I think the term "Savant" is confusing and technically incorrect......."Autistic Savant" is sometimes, but perhaps less frequently used, and it seems much more appropriate. Do you agree?

Glider.....help............

-->thinks so..but not really sure..because the first time i heard such term is from THE BRILLIANT BRAIN-National Geography Special.According to the TBB, Savant is a people who are accidentally becomes a genius due to brain damage.They put forward two example: (1) a labour that faced an exploded brain's blood vessel then suddenly getting overflowed ideas related to artistic area.(2) a savant that can tell people about the day if he was told the date of the day.He keep writing out the calendar's days and dates until 500 years later!He also was gifted in artistic field. And i hope you guys could give me the description of savant and not the meaning of the term of savant.. thanks you guys!! help more...he3:eyebrow: