What do you think about extra tutoring?

smarty_pants

I was wondering what everyone thinks about extra tutoring as i am soon going to take my TEE's(for non-aussies it is the exams you take to get you into university)and I was wondering about doing extra tutoring so i could have a really good score as my calculus teacher has left and we now get a substitute teacher that really sucks.I'm taking calculus as i want to go onto the University of Western Australia which needs a score of 84.0 or more to do Mining Engineering so I was asking you guys if it is worth it to do extra tutoring.:)

well, if you think your results mihgt drop due to a crap teacher then yes it would be worth it. also, if you think you need extra tutoring then it would be worth it.

have you considered if self study would help? i done this and it did help but its not for everybody.

I'm in Australia too! High five!!!

As for me, I go to a Selective School in New South Wales, it's fairly competitive and since I'm looking for a UAI of 99+, I do go to Tutoring for that "extra edge".

Tutoring is extremely useful as it motivates you, gives you more direction and more information is always useful.

However, tutoring is rather expensive at times and some people don't see the use of it. If you have dud teachers, it is extremely useful, so go for it! ;)

Whereabouts are you considering doing tutoring?

It's a question of money and personality, I think.

If you're good at working by yourself then this is probably a good option. Although if you've got loads of money then, I suppose, you have nothing to lose by getting a tutor as well. But this is a "want" not "need" case.

If you're bad at studying by yourself, fear (with reason) that you could miss something or are generally bad at getting yourself to work then maybe a tutor would be a good idea. This is more of a "need" case.

I suppose those are two extreme cases; but you seem quite a clever person and I'm sure you can analyse yourself and answer your own original question. :)

I am pretty good at studying myself i was just wondering if it is worth it and if it gives you a head start in a particular subject

Within any subject category there are a multitude of elements. Rarely will there be a single teacher that can communicate a thorough understanding of all the elements to all of the students. For any given element some teachers will be better than others and weaker than others so alternate viewpoints can greatly help to achieve a broader understanding of the material. IMO a tutor is worth it.

it might be a good idea to ask for extra Homework too, on the parts that you`r not very good at.

I have to to do this when it comes to the Maths part of a course (any course), because I have so many "mental blocks" when it comes to maths, so Practicing the stuff you`r NOT good at helps plenty! :)

and unlike Normal homework, the Pressure is OFF entirely, it doesn`t matter if you get them ALL right, it`s just about learning and practice.