Question About the Purchase of Iodine

dubois928

Is the purchase of Iodine (crystals) banned in the US? Also do stores track purchases of substances such as Iodine Tincture? I've bought six 30ml bottles in the past month in a half (three at a time). Would that look suspicious? I use tinc. to make Iodine crystals. It's sad to see chemicals getting harder and harder to get a hold of for the home chemist due to all these drug and explosives makers.

Ken

I don't know how much you trust wikipedia, but I found this:

"In the United States, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) regards iodine and compounds containing iodine (ionic iodides, iodoform, ethyl iodide, and so on) as reagents useful for the clandestine manufacture of methamphetamine. Persons who attempt to purchase significant quantities of such chemicals without establishing a legitimate use are likely to find themselves the target of a DEA investigation. Persons selling such compounds without doing due diligence to establish that the materials are not being diverted to clandestine use may be subject to stiff penalties, such as expensive fines or even imprisonment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine

well, if you are truly using them for legitimate uses(such as hobby chemistry) and they contact you, invite them in to look at what you do. be open and cooperative and there won't be a problem.

i doubt 180ml is a suspicious amount by anybodies standards so you'll probably be fine.