New Books You Got For Xmas

Pangloss

you're supposed to get the books that are in GOOD condition!

Ah, but I only paid A$200 for the entire set.:eek::cool: It's around US$100 per volume now, God only knows what a full, matching set is worth today.

I enjoyed the one about the aliens showing up in the midst of WW2 with something akin to Vietnam-era (?) technology.

The Invasion series. I liked them but found them a bit heavy going at times. However I do think he deserves his current title "The Master of What If?".

BTW, have you read any H. Beam Piper?

• 1 month later...

I got Ben Hogan's 5 lessons "The Modern Fundimentals of Golf". He takes a scientific approch to golf. I read this book when I was 18 years old and and shot a 66 gross (4 under par) a week later. (normwlly shoot in the 70's). I took up golf again about a year ago and have been shooting in the 70's/80's. I read this book again last month and shot 69 a couple of weeks ago (2 under at this course). I want to keep his methods in mind and keep practicing to see if I can keep the form going and break par more often this year.

I appreaciate not everyone like golf - but if you do then READ THIS BOOK! Ben Hogan spent his whole life experimenting with different golf swings and came up with standard methods which hold up under pressure of competition or playing for money.

A little late I guess, but I got "Founding Brothers" by Ellis and book two of Donaldson's GAP series, "Forbidden Knowledge".

Founding Brothers was really cool, a nice read that left me a little more disappointed in Jefferson. Forbidden Knowledge is vintage Donaldson continuing to write characters that are tough to like and plots that are twisty, testing morality and theology. I love it.

Just recently got Failed States by Noam Chomsky. Really nice read and definitely eye opening to exposing the abuses and criminal acts committed by our own U.S. government.

Also, I now have a purchased copy of The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose. Beforehand, I was checking it out from the nearby library.

• 1 month later...
I think that you are very rude to call Christmas xmas. because you are leaving oiut the important bit "CHRIST"

just fyi, the X is actually the greek letter chi which in the greek version of the new testament is the first letter of christ. so, actually, it is a valid shorthand in the veiws of the church.

not that many of us are christian. i'm certainly not.

I think that you are very rude to call Christmas xmas. because you are leaving oiut the important bit "CHRIST"

It's an old tradition to use "X" as a shortcut for "Christ". The term "Xmas" is actually very old, it was first used at least several centuries ago.

...but let's be clear, Atheists like me are common in science forums. So you might find a few things here offending, not because we don't like religious people, but many of us don't like the whole concept of religion.

For X-Mas I got Mao the unknown story and I got The Racist Mind I have read them both. I think they are really great books to read also if your interested in policital science Mao the unknown story is a good one to read.